Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
A problem with Marvin and Mapleread

In Marvin and Mapleread it is possible to select a word in the text you are reading and activate a user defined menu.
The first picture shows how it looks in Marvin. You can now select one of the options. If you select the "share" option you get picture 2.

If you here select "Lemma", a special app, you get a translation into Danish. Other options from the menu can activate Wikipidia , Google maps etc. It works very well.

The third picture shows my problem. When you select the word it is only partly highlighted. You can adjust the selection but more often than not it does not work very well. The selection disappears.

Now to the strange thing. It works very well in some files and not in others about fifty fifty. If a file is okay in Marvin it is also ok in Mapleread and vice versa. The behavior is file dependent, also across devices, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPad pro 9.7 and iPad Pro 12.9.

I have not been able to find any system in the behavior. The files can be original epubs or converted from an Amazon format.
I have tried with different text sizes and fonts.

In all other programs, Safari Kindle etc, a press on a word will always select the whole word.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nr 1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	525.4 KB
ID:	186103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Billede 2.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	186104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede nr 3.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	186105  
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Does Apple Books have the same issue with the same books?

Marvin has not been updated for 3 years. There have been some enhancements to text selection in recent versions of iOS that might have thrown it off. But that wouldn’t explain Mapleread’s behavior.

If Books behaves well with those .epub files, then perhaps you could report it to Mapleread developer for a fix. Marvin is probably not going to get any more updates.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:35 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Yea, I gave up on Marvin a couple of years ago. I agree, report the problem to Mapleread.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:25 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Does Apple Books have the same issue with the same books?
Yes, Apple books have the same issue with the same books. Meaning in one book the whole word is selected in another book only part of the word is highlighted.

It must be some subtle difference in the format of the files.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:09 AM   #5
svenlind
Fanatic

Well I have found a way out. The problem was with epubs from various places. But never with epubs converted from AZW3. So now I do this.
When I get or buy a new epub:
1. Convert it to AZW3
2. Delete the new epub.
3. Convert the ASW3 to epub.

Problem solved. But ????
Old 07-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Are any of these from Google Books? I've noticed they introduce <a> tags indiscriminately (I think it is to be able to switch from Flowing Text to Paged (PDF) mode without losing reading position). That might be throwing off the word selection when you happen to select one of these words.

Here's an example:

Quote:
unemploy<a id="ORIG-GBS.PA149.w.1.0.0"/><span class="gtxt_body" id="para.161.1.0.box.225.244.1351.804.q.60"><a id="GBS.PA148.w.3.0.0"/><a id="GBS.PA149"/><a id="GBS.PA149.w.0.0.0"/><a id="GBS.PA149.w.1.0.0"/>ment which
You could crack open one of your problem books with calibre ePub editor to verify this.

Perhaps there is a plugin that can clean these things out. Or if not, perhaps someone should write one. Or maybe you can filter them out with ePub to ePub conversion.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:44 AM   #7
svenlind
Fanatic

I don't think I have any Google books. It is not every epub book that has the problem, but the vast majority has it.

I tried to do an epub to epub conversion on a problem book from standard ebooks. It also solved the problem.

I very often do epub to epub conversion because I prefer left align to justified. When I enter a book into Calibre I always check the alignment and do an epub to epub conversion if it is not left aligned.

OT: Link to standard ebooks Highly recommended.