Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #61
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
My unit also seems to be a little slower page turns after the update (someone else mentioned this earlier). Also, when turning on/off wifi from within a book, there is a very long pause when returning to the book using the back button. Not a huge deal, but it is quite noticeable.
My experience is quite different. There is no reduced speed with page turns post-update. The rate is still very fast. There is also no slowdown whatsoever returning to a book after selecting wireless -- it is nearly instantaneous.

Have you performed a reset?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #62
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I agree with Skydog, I would try a reset. My PW is very fast with no slowdown at all since the update.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I agree with Skydog, I would try a reset. My PW is very fast with no slowdown at all since the update.
Same here. I haven't noticed any slowdown, either. One thing I have noticed about the PW, in fact, is how much faster than the Touch it is for things like searching.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #64
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My screensaver now seems to be an advert for Waterstones????
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #65
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
My screensaver now seems to be an advert for Waterstones????
Yes, since they have joined with Amazon, you'll be seeing Waterstones screensavers according to this article:

http://paidcontent.org/2012/09/12/wa...he-bear-traps/
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #66
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
To really run a valid comparison, one would have to record reading session times in an Excel spreadsheet for both the PW and KK. Otherwise, one really doesn't know.

I ran it for one battery cycle for the PW and got 10 hours and 29 minutes running the battery down to near empty. I've never taken the time to run it for my KK.

For my KF1G it averaged about 5 hours and 13 minutes and for my KFHD7-32 it averages about 5 hours and 39 minutes running it down to about 19% using GSam Battery Monitor for precise measurements by recording Screen Time right before I start a Full Charge.

Just reading for long stretches will NOT take an accurate measurement unless the default 5 minute shut down is changed to Never shut down.

The PW light does shut down when the standard magnetic cover is closed.

Remember, the PW battery meter will not be accurate until taken to a zero charge at least once and then given an overnight charge. The zero charge (really at 15%) is indicated by a screen showing a large battery icon, a wire and a lightning bolt to indicate power is required.
You do not need to carry out this test to know that the battery on PW is worse than the KK. However a good point about completely draining battery and doing a full cycle charge. I had the same problem on my iPhone 5. I'll have to try it on the PW.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #67
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
My unit also seems to be a little slower page turns after the update (someone else mentioned this earlier). Also, when turning on/off wifi from within a book, there is a very long pause when returning to the book using the back button. Not a huge deal, but it is quite noticeable.
I noticed slower page turns immediately after updating. However later on when I was reading on the bus it seemed back to normal. I noticed the light in the bus was more direct and stronger. So this perceived slowdown may be due to surrounding light levels.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #68
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
You do not need to carry out this test to know that the battery on PW is worse than the KK. However a good point about completely draining battery and doing a full cycle charge. I had the same problem on my iPhone 5. I'll have to try it on the PW.
The battery on my pw is not worse than my kk. It's about the same, if anything slightly better as I used to get 7 days from my kk and now I'm getting 8 days from my pw so far.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #69
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
The battery on my pw is not worse than my kk. It's about the same, if anything slightly better as I used to get 7 days from my kk and now I'm getting 8 days from my pw so far.
7 days is that with WiFi off? My K3 I charge every 45 days but that's with WiFi off. My K4 last up two weeks on a single charge and that's with heavy use.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #70
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

The battery on my kk is amazing, not even comparable to my PW. Although I will say my latest PW has the best battery of all the ones I have had which is odd that they would differ. On the replacements I sent back the batteries went down rather quickly.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #71
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You are probably correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
7 days is that with WiFi off? My K3 I charge every 45 days but that's with WiFi off. My K4 last up two weeks on a single charge and that's with heavy use.
In early 2011 I was reading exclusively on the Kindle Keyboard WiFi with WiFi on all the time. I was averaging 26 days until the 15% signal was given.

In early 2012 I was using mostly the Kindle Fire 1st Generation with WiFi on all the time and averaging 5 hours over 3 days using GSam Battery Monitor to get the precise numbers.

Now using the Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb I was getting 5 hours and 32 minutes down to the 19% level over 5 days using GSam Battery Monitor to get precise numbers. However, my last cycle I went down to the 8% level over 4 days and got 6 hours and 53 minutes.

On the Kindle Paperwhite I used a precise Session Measuring formula for one cycle and got 10 hours and 29 minutes over 7 days. The other cycles lasted for 7 or 8 days before a full charge was required with the battery meter showing near empty.

There is no question the Kindle Keyboard lasted the longest time frame. However, I never did use a precise Session Measuring formula to prove its real time usage.

I had WiFi on all the time for all my units.

It would be interesting to see GSam Monitor results for others on percentage of battery energy reached and time elapsed between cycles.

For the Kindle Keyboard and Paperwhite a specific Session Measuring formula would have to be maintained for every reading session showing start time, end time and Session time with cumulative time used before the full charge was required. Unfortunately, there is nothing like the GSam Battery Monitor for those two models to get precise results.

I maintain a Battery Record Excel Book for all my devices and gadgets. It is fascinating to see how all of them perform with regards to battery usage.

Everyone should take their Lithium batteries down to near zero at least once to get the chemicals mixed properly and to tune the battery monitor. After that one exercise it is not necessary as long as the device is being used regularly.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-11-2012 at 03:33 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #72
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have wifi/3g on my PW. I read about 3-4 hours per day. Screen at 12-14 usually. I have to recharge every other day, usually. Sometimes I can skip a day and recharge every third, but, if I do so, the battery gets truly down to the wire.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #73
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
WiFi off. Reading 4-6 hours per day.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #74
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sounds reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I have wifi/3g on my PW. I read about 3-4 hours per day. Screen at 12-14 usually. I have to recharge every other day, usually. Sometimes I can skip a day and recharge every third, but, if I do so, the battery gets truly down to the wire.
I got 10.5 hours over 7 days. That works out to 1.5 hours per day of reading. Two to three days of 3.5 hours per day sounds reasonable to me.

Your 3G usage may draw slightly more power than my WiFi only unit.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #75
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
WiFi off. Reading 4-6 hours per day.
That's my reading average too. Your K3 is either defective or indexing is stuck. A Factory reset may be needed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote