Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #46
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Yeah I think I'm just going to go for it, my Glo HD won't even connect to the Calibre content server anymore, I'm not ripping off the back cover and removing the SD every time I want to add content.
Buy it from a local store if you can, so that you can take it back if it has any glitches. Mine has the bright band along the right edge but it's only visible when the brightness is turned up well beyond what I use. What is annoying is that the buttons on mine don't have a clean click but are sort of crunchy. They still work fine but it's annoying. Other than that I love it. I also got the leather case with the cover that folds into a stand which I also like.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #47
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Buy it from a local store if you can, so that you can take it back if it has any glitches. Mine has the bright band along the right edge but it's only visible when the brightness is turned up well beyond what I use. What is annoying is that the buttons on mine don't have a clean click but are sort of crunchy. They still work fine but it's annoying. Other than that I love it. I also got the leather case with the cover that folds into a stand which I also like.
Thanks I was thinking the same, the cheapest option is actually to ship it from Australia on Ebay with a free sleepcover but Id rather spend an extra €30 buying it locally in Ireland, a dead pixel or any other issue would kill me. Is it regarded as having quality issues?

Which case is that by the way? The official Sleepcover? Has anyone ever found a cheap alternative thats the same?
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #48
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Thanks I was thinking the same, the cheapest option is actually to ship it from Australia on Ebay with a free sleepcover but Id rather spend an extra €30 buying it locally in Ireland, a dead pixel or any other issue would kill me. Is it regarded as having quality issues?

Which case is that by the way? The official Sleepcover? Has anyone ever found a cheap alternative thats the same?
Yes, it's the official Kobo cover. For quality issues there have been complaints about the bright band and other problems with uneven lighting. The latest I read on here is that they apparently have ironed out those problems, but then it would depend on whether the merchant you buy from has an older one, so maybe buy from a big store that sells a lot and has high turnover.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yeah I think I'm just going to go for it, my Glo HD won't even connect to the Calibre content server anymore, I'm not ripping off the back cover and removing the SD every time I want to add content.
Does it connect to WiFi and browse other sites? And what firmware version is it running and what calibre version? There have been various issues as calibre changed and the device changed. But, they should be working with recent versions of both. I'm not if I have tried with firmware version 4.15.x, but have definitely used it with no problems each of the previous few.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:27 AM   #50
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Hmmm, actually my Calibre version is pretty old now that I think of it, don't know why that didn't occur to me. I'll update it to the newest one tonight and see. Kobo version is whatever comes in the latest sync.
Advert
Old 08-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #51
Thargor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does it connect to WiFi and browse other sites? And what firmware version is it running and what calibre version? There have been various issues as calibre changed and the device changed. But, they should be working with recent versions of both. I'm not if I have tried with firmware version 4.15.x, but have definitely used it with no problems each of the previous few.
Tried everything and couldnt get it to work with our house router but if I connect my laptop and Kobo to my phones wifi hotspot it goes through fine.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Tried everything and couldnt get it to work with our house router but if I connect my laptop and Kobo to my phones wifi hotspot it goes through fine.
What happens? Does the WiFi show? Does it attempt to connect? Are there any error messages? What firmware version do you have? "Whatever comes in the latest sync" doesn't actually tell me what version you have. There are various reasons for it to be something other than 4.15.x. Does anything else have issues?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:12 AM   #53
rtype
Enthusiast
rtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Id rather spend an extra €30 buying it locally in Ireland
Where stocks them in Ireland I'd like to hold one in my hand before buying one but couldn't find anywhere.
rtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #54
Thargor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtype View Post
Where stocks them in Ireland I'd like to hold one in my hand before buying one but couldn't find anywhere.
Argos sell them.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #55
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra H2O
As long as we’re speculating about a new Kobo device, why not make it a friendly competition?

My money is on 6 inch Forma-shaped ereader. (just guessing, though)
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 PM   #56
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra & Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ashling View Post
As long as we’re speculating about a new Kobo device, why not make it a friendly competition?

My money is on 6 inch Forma-shaped ereader. (just guessing, though)

As guessing (and hoping) goes, I'd like to see a Kobo Aura Edition 3, at 300dpi and water resistant. That would compare to the new Kindle PaperWhite.

On the hope list : A better dictionary.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
As guessing (and hoping) goes, I'd like to see a Kobo Aura Edition 3, at 300dpi and water resistant. That would compare to the new Kindle PaperWhite.

On the hope list : A better dictionary.
Wouldn't that just be the Clara 2 at that point?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #58
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra & Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Wouldn't that just be the Clara 2 at that point?
The Aura has a screen like a tablet, flush, like the new PaperWhite, contrary to the Clara.

Both Aura and Clara are not water resistant, unlike the PaperWhite.

The Clara has a 300 dpi definition, not the Aura.

So, your pick.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
The Aura has a screen like a tablet, flush, like the new PaperWhite, contrary to the Clara.

Both Aura and Clara are not water resistant, unlike the PaperWhite.

The Clara has a 300 dpi definition, not the Aura.

So, your pick.
Correction: The Aura (2015), Aura HD and the Aura One had flush screens. The Aura Edition 2, Aura H2O and Aura H2O 2 do not have flush screens.

The Aura One, Aura H2O and Aura H2O 2 are water resistant.

Look, if they brought back the form factor of the Aura 2015 with a modern 300 ppi screen, color changing frontlight and made it waterproof, I'd buy it day one (as I mentioned in post #19). I'm just pointing out that Kobo seems to have moved on from the Aura name to Clara.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Correction: The Aura (2015), Aura HD and the Aura One had flush screens. The Aura Edition 2, Aura H2O and Aura H2O 2 do not have flush screens.

I don't think the Aura HD had a flush screen? The wiki says zForce, which I believe is IR.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote