Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
Nook Study no longer downloading

Yesterday, I opened Nook Study to download and future proof my most recent purchases (lots of purchases) and discovered that the program wouldn't download any purchases since the last time I opened the program. I tried syncing several times, closing and reopening the program several times, but no luck.

I did manage a work around, but it was somewhat tedious, and it took me hours to work through all the duplicates I'd downloaded. Not fun.

Is there something I can do to make Nook Study resume syncing and downloading books from Barnes & Noble, or do I need to give up on purchasing from them and go elsewhere? I did not try logging out out of Nook Study and logging back in. I consider that a real last resort, but if it makes the program work again, I will go through the hassle.

Thanks.
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 AM   #2
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchicat View Post
Yesterday, I opened Nook Study to download and future proof my most recent purchases (lots of purchases) and discovered that the program wouldn't download any purchases since the last time I opened the program. I tried syncing several times, closing and reopening the program several times, but no luck.

I did manage a work around, but it was somewhat tedious, and it took me hours to work through all the duplicates I'd downloaded. Not fun.

Is there something I can do to make Nook Study resume syncing and downloading books from Barnes & Noble, or do I need to give up on purchasing from them and go elsewhere? I did not try logging out out of Nook Study and logging back in. I consider that a real last resort, but if it makes the program work again, I will go through the hassle.

Thanks.
I am surprised you were able to log in to Nook study. AFAIK, what I heard through the grapevine is that programs like Nook study for the Microsoft desktop are dead (maybe, it caused too much DRM stripping or whatnot). I recommend the NOOK app available through the Microsoft store :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/no...ot:overviewtab

Or plain old just buying books from the device and syncing it that way.

I made two assumptions , in this post, that you have a NOOK eReader and that you were using a Microsoft system instead of like an Android or IOS system.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-09-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2019, 05:07 AM   #3
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
I just checked my Android phone , too, just two apps available the NOOK app, like the one for the Microsoft store and the NOOK app for NOOK devices.

NOOK Study : RIP.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'be been able to use Nook Study to get around the fact that Barnes & Noble does NOT want you to download their books from the store. I've been a Nook fan since 2009 when I purchased my first Nook. I am not particularly a Kindle fan because I don't trust Amazon not to snatch back whatever book I purchased. That's why I like to download and future proof my purchases.

I could use the Windows app, but I don't know if I can future proof my purchases, and that is important to me.

Nook Study still works on my computer; it just won't sync with my purchased library online anymore. The only way I was able to get my latest purchases is because I still own an original Nook Color which works. I've probably purchased my last books from Barnes & Noble because of this, and I'm looking into purchasing a different ereader.

I already own an older Kindle, but it's not my favorite ereader. I got it, used, so I could future proof any purchases from Amazon.

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by Patchicat; 07-09-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 07-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
At this time, I think the only thing that works for download books from B&N to a PC is the Windows 8/10 Nook app from the Windows Store, unless you are savvy enough to get the Nook Android App running on Android emulation (which I have not been able to do, but I haven't tried hard). Be aware that some books may download to the Windows Nook app as encrypted PDF files, and probably can't have the DRM stripped from them. Most of the books I've encountered with this issue have had a lot of images and/or special formatting, mainly cookbooks.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
Patchicat
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply. I've used the Windows app before, but I'm worried about being able to future proof my purchases. I've been a Nook fan since the original Nook way back in 2009, but I have a feeling it's time to move on to another manufacturer. Ugh.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchicat View Post
Thank you for your reply. I've used the Windows app before, but I'm worried about being able to future proof my purchases.
Try downloading a few books through the Windows 10 app and import them into Calibre to see if it still removes DRM. That has worked for me.

Regardless, I just buy my books from Amazon at this point.

Quote:
I've been a Nook fan since the original Nook way back in 2009, but I have a feeling it's time to move on to another manufacturer. Ugh.
Why? If you like the Nook and are using DRM-free (or as you call them, 'future-proofed') books, you can use any device you like. I purchase all my books from Amazon, but read on a Kobo Clara and a couple of different Nooks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote