Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2022, 09:26 AM   #1366
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I believe the KA1 was when Kobo started using a spray to make the device water resistant, so replacing the battery would at minimum make that protection a lot more dubious.
No, that was the original H2O.

Still haven't found a replacement for my One, so, I'll probably be using it till it completely dies on me. (I really don't like those non-symmetric readers)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:37 AM   #1367
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
I currently have an Aura One that I have been using for quite a few years, but I am starting to look for a replacement if it ever dies on me.

How are you liking the Sage compared to the Aura One?

Hopefully my Aura will carry on for many more years as I am perfectly happy with it as an ereader.
There are posters here who swear the difference between the screens on the Sage and Aura One is "dramatic" and easily worth the money to upgrade. I'm not one of those people.

I was someone who had been waiting for the release of Kobo's new 8 inch reader, but when the Sage was finally announced, I soon decided a used Aura One was a way better value exactly because I don't see much difference between the two devices, despite their being released 5 years apart.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2022, 03:11 AM   #1368
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Thanks to all for your comments.

Hopefully my Aura One will continue to function for many more years to come.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 04:49 AM   #1369
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
If my Aura One had been the limited edition, I'd have had no real reason to consider the Sage, I think.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:16 AM   #1370
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Still haven't found a replacement for my One, so, I'll probably be using it till it completely dies on me. (I really don't like those non-symmetric readers)
So, has anyone ever found an actual replacement for the Kobo Aura One?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #1371
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
So, has anyone ever found an actual replacement for the Kobo Aura One?
I love my Libra more than I ever loved my Aura One (which I really loved but now my son uses). The side bezel was a game changer for me and using it with no case is so comfortable and light.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #1372
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I believe the KA1 was when Kobo started using a spray to make the device water resistant, so replacing the battery would at minimum make that protection a lot more dubious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The original Kobo Aura H2O used physical seals including the rubbery plug that covers the bottom ports. The HZO coating was first used on the Aura One.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #1373
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
I love my Libra more than I ever loved my Aura One (which I really loved but now my son uses). The side bezel was a game changer for me and using it with no case is so comfortable and light.
I'm sorry, but my post (that you responded to) was about a replacement battery for the Kobo Aura One. I forgot to add the word 'battery'.

-----------

For me, the Libra 2 is so much better due to the fantastic screen.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:15 AM   #1374
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For me, the Libra 2 is so much better due to the fantastic screen.
Do you suffer the constant crashing and reboot problems that others here seem to be plagued with?
Old 09-11-2022, 08:37 AM   #1375
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do you suffer the constant crashing and reboot problems that others here seem to be plagued with?

Since I first bought it (a number of months ago), it froze 2 or 3 times. But it's not a problem at all. It has, in my opinion, the best screen of any ebook reader I've ever owned. (Even better than my beloved, beautiful, lovely, soft, sexy Kindle Voyage, which recently stopped working [I refuse to use the word 'died'] because she now needs a new battery. )

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-11-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #1376
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I still use mine daily. I see no reason to upgrade it before it breaks down. It's perfect.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:25 AM   #1377
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Since I first bought it (a number of months ago), it froze 2 or 3 times. But it's not a problem at all. It has, in my opinion, the best screen of any ebook reader I've ever owned. (Even better than my beloved, beautiful, lovely, soft, sexy Kindle Voyage, which recently stopped working [I refuse to use the word 'died'] because she now needs a new battery. )
Thanks, that's good to hear.

At the moment I have no plans to replace my Aura One, but I have been looking at the options available just in case.
From what I've seen the two current models that would be replacements are the Libra 2 and the Sage, both of which appear to have issues if you go by the threads on here.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:22 AM   #1378
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Thanks, that's good to hear.

At the moment I have no plans to replace my Aura One, but I have been looking at the options available just in case.
Ditto. The uneven lighting on my Aura One is a persistent irritant and the battery really doesn't seem as great as it was - certainly less than the original "up to 1 month".

Is the lighting on the new models significantly better?

I do confess that I'm also toying with going iPad - or if I want the same size device, an iPad Mini - instead of another Kobo, mainly for the quality screen. Humming and hawing though, as eink is probably better on my eyes, and my experiences with the Kobo app on an Android tablet were awful.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:39 AM   #1379
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Ditto. The uneven lighting on my Aura One is a persistent irritant and the battery really doesn't seem as great as it was - certainly less than the original "up to 1 month".

Is the lighting on the new models significantly better?
The frontlight of the Libra 2 is really good, very even. The Sage can be uneven, but not all Sages are (mine is, unfortunately).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #1380
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The frontlight of the Libra 2 is really good, very even. The Sage can be uneven, but not all Sages are (mine is, unfortunately).
That's helpful, thanks. Some Aura Ones were also better than others, so it sounds like Kobo's QA has improved with the Libra 2 and then gone a step backwards with the Sage. Quite frustrating!
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote