Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
Kindle and hairline cracks

I just noticed today that the casing by the two bottom corners of of the screen have hairline cracks..I've never dropped my kindle and keep in a m-edge padded case so any idea how this happened?

I baby my ereader and I'm taking it to Staples tomorrow as i have an extended warranty on it but I'm really worried they will say I did something and not cover it..

i can try and take a photo tomorrow if need be

TIA
Fiona
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
I just noticed today that the casing by the two bottom corners of of the screen have hairline cracks..I've never dropped my kindle and keep in a m-edge padded case so any idea how this happened?

I baby my ereader and I'm taking it to Staples tomorrow as i have an extended warranty on it but I'm really worried they will say I did something and not cover it..

i can try and take a photo tomorrow if need be

TIA
Fiona
I suggest giving Kindle Customer service a call before going to Staples.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Ok I'll do that tomorrow...ty...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This has happened to quite a few K3 owners here at MR and on Amazons Kindle CS forum as well. Amazon replaced mine under warranty when it was 8 or 9 months old without any problems or run around.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
terraskye
Groupie

oh ty at least it isn't me then..i almost cried when i saw the cracks
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
It's not just you, Amazon replaced mine when both corners cracked after a few months. My replacement has been fine. Here's a recent thread where others had the same cracks: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...63#post1930563
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
terraskye
Groupie

Thank you for pointing me to the thread..I'm going to call them tomorrow though i feel it should be covered under my extended warranty with Staples and I'll be missing my kindle when I send it in too but for peace of mind it will be worth it for sure
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
Thank you for pointing me to the thread..I'm going to call them tomorrow though i feel it should be covered under my extended warranty with Staples and I'll be missing my kindle when I send it in too but for peace of mind it will be worth it for sure
Amazon sent me the replacement in a couple of days, and then I had up to 30 days to send back the broken one. They were great.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
terraskye
Groupie

oh that is even better...I'm in Canada so hopefully they will extend that offer to me too ...whoot /fingers crossed

Will update after I call them tomorrow
Old 04-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
In May my seven month old Kindle 3 developed crack from both the bottom left and bottom right corners. After calling Amazon the replaced it free of charge and even paid back the money I spend sending my old Kindle back. Considering I live in the Netherlands I don't think they'll have a problem with exchanging your Kindle.

Good luck.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
I noticed a similar crack in my Kindle 3 two days ago. Am annoyed, I always take very good care of my darlin' e-reader. No way are they gonna replace it, though, it's from September '10, IIRC. I just hope the crack doesn't get any bigger.
Ah, well... if it does, I'll have a good excuse to upgrade to a newer Kindle, *LOL*
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
I noticed a similar crack in my Kindle 3 two days ago. Am annoyed, I always take very good care of my darlin' e-reader. No way are they gonna replace it, though, it's from September '10, IIRC. I just hope the crack doesn't get any bigger.
Ah, well... if it does, I'll have a good excuse to upgrade to a newer Kindle, *LOL*
Still, give Kindle customer service a call. Maybe they will replace it. You lose nothing by trying.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've just noticed the same cracks at the bottom corners on my K3. It's about 16 months old now, so I guess it's out of warranty. I'm not too worried though - it still works just fine .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a known design fault in the K3. It's purely cosmetic, but Kindle CS should definitely replace your Kindle if it bothers you. They'll probably do so even if it's out of warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a known design fault in the K3. It's purely cosmetic, ...
If mine is evidence, it is purely cosmetic. My K3, new in Sept 2010, developed a crack in one lower corner within a couple of months. The other corner developed a crack a few months later. Neither crack has spread since their first appearances.

I consider them too trivial to warranty asking Amazon for a replacement and my having to reload and re-index my books (>800, yea, I know it ridiculous to have that many on my "waiting to be read list" but its an addiction I can live with).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote