Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #31
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
When someone asks for help with something they own, and someone else suggests they spend $140 to replace it...

I don't know, call me crazy, but that just doesn't seem helpful.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
When someone asks for help with something they own, and someone else suggests they spend $140 to replace it...

I don't know, call me crazy, but that just doesn't seem helpful.
Yeah, let's ignore those 12 helpful posts prior to that. They are completely negated by the one post you didn't like. "Good luck and I hope you are able to work out the kinks" sounds very malicious in it's intent.

Last edited by queentess; 02-03-2011 at 04:17 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep, that's why I avoid PDFs alltogether if possible.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #34
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, that's why I avoid PDFs alltogether if possible.
Yesterday I found a quite helpful tipp at the German forums. Convert your PDF's via MobiCreator Editors Edition. The trick is to check "no encryption" and "no compression" when you 'build'. Works like a charm. No white space or odd spaces between the words. Pure magic. After meddling it into mobi I haul it through Calibre and get the most wonderful ebook.

But in regard to the OP it is better she sticks with epub or lrf
Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #35
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Yesterday I found a quite helpful tipp at the German forums. Convert your PDF's via MobiCreator Editors Edition. The trick is to check "no encryption" and "no compression" when you 'build'. Works like a charm. No white space or odd spaces between the words. Pure magic. After meddling it into mobi I haul it through Calibre and get the most wonderful ebook.

But in regard to the OP it is better she sticks with epub or lrf
I'm going to ask a silly question but I really want to know: why not go -->document -->crop pages instead of opening a different program. I've been able to crop my .PDFs on a page by page basis if necessary without ever leaving the file.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #36
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
This is absolutly not necessary as the Sony Software that is incorporated in the device does exactly this as long as people do not feel compelled to use Calibre and the likes because they think they have to. There are more companies out there that are working than Kindle foremost the one that invented ereaders: it is called SONY!
No disrespect but my intention behind my post was simply that LadyLou was frustrated in trying to do what she purchased the device for: READ. Having said that I was merely offering an alternative. I don't subscribe to the notion that because Kindle works for me, it works for all.

One of the things that happens on this board (or at least I thought should happen) was to offer solutions/alternatives to those of us who might be frustrated in dealing with certain things.

LadyLou, I did not mean to infer you should run out and buy a Kindle or that a Kindle is superior to other readers, just thought given all of the time and effort you have devoted, another type of device might allow you to do what you want to do which is READ!

Last edited by chilady1; 02-03-2011 at 05:26 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #37
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

You mean in Calibre? Actually I don't even know which function that would be in the German Calibre version, so I can not answer your question. But when you say page by page, I am not sure, I wanna know. The books I tend to read a quite thick, the bigger, the better, averaging 800pp, I wouldn't dream of doing a pager by page thing! Anyway these are free books from the library and when I can reformat them easily fine - if not I will read something else.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #38
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
You mean in Calibre? Actually I don't even know which function that would be in the German Calibre version, so I can not answer your question. But when you say page by page, I am not sure, I wanna know. The books I tend to read a quite thick, the bigger, the better, averaging 800pp, I wouldn't dream of doing a pager by page thing! Anyway these are free books from the library and when I can reformat them easily fine - if not I will read something else.
Sorry! I was speaking of inside of Acrobat. If you do the steps that I mention, it gives you the option of cropping the entire document or just one page. I generally crop the entire document based on a single full page and then skim (inside the viewer) to see if there are any pages that need to be adjusted up or down.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #39
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
One of the things that happens on this board (or at least I thought should happen) was to offer solution to those of us who might be frustrated in dealing with certain things.
And the obvious solution for you is to encourage the OP who has already spent money for a reader to spend even more money for another reader, instead of offering a solution to help her cope with the one she owns.

I see.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #40
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
And the obvious solution for you is to encourage the OP who has already spent money for a reader to spend even more money for another reader, instead of offering a solution to help her cope with the one she owns.

I see.
And this is the main reason why I am starting to shy away from this particular forum. Damn, who knew trying to be as friendly to others as they have been to me would turn out this way.

My apologies for not offering a better solution and seriously Poppaea, get a life!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #41
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Sorry! I was speaking of inside of Acrobat. If you do the steps that I mention, it gives you the option of cropping the entire document or just one page. I generally crop the entire document based on a single full page and then skim (inside the viewer) to see if there are any pages that need to be adjusted up or down.
Still to much of a hassle for me. I have a Sony that zooms in and reflows and am to lazy to do this. The MobiCreator thing is very fast and easy. You upload the file, click to build and the output is a mobifile. Couldn't be easier and faster. The no compression and no encryption thing is a one-time only click. It worked fine for me, not necessarily good or easier for everyone.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #42
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
And this is the main reason why I am starting to shy away from this particular forum. Damn, who knew trying to be as friendly to others as they have been to me would turn out this way.
No need to shy away because of me. If you think your solution and your way to help others is helpful, thats fine for me. Maybe there is a myriad of people who think so, too. I am not able to decide this for others. All I can decide for is for me and your advice would be far too expensive for me.

Quote:
My apologies for not offering a better solution and seriously Poppaea, get a life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Personal attacks always strengthen your argument.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #43
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:

I see.
I know English isn't your first language, but this post comes off as quite hostile. (Which may have also been your intent; I don't know...)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #44
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
Wow, many thanks to all who have responded. I have managed to navigate ADE and although I have no idea how I did it, I now have my files on my Sony. I still feel far from confident as I just did searches and read articles on the net as well as follow advice given here.

I have actually found the discussions on here quite 'interesting' to read, and to really throw a 'spanner' in the works, confess I had actually considered buying and Kindle to replace my Sony, lack of funds is all that stopped me as I did have numerous accesories for my Sony.

What I have decided to do is start from the beginning as it were and move my 'booking' to my old laptop which is old (XP) but hardly used since my netbook arrived. I am then going to take a book or 10 at a time and find the originating file and work on that.

I think I muddled myself too much at the beginning - I bought several CDs of 'book files' from e-bay which I realised since is illegal (not the buying but the offering for sale), although the buying may also have placed me in jeopady. These files were in all sorts of modes (pdf: Word: lit: etc) and I put them all in calibre and converted them to epub which is, I believe where the problems started. So I am getting rid of those files and am just going to work on epub.

I am going to cut and paste into a word document the various suggestions above and start from there.

One point though, that I have found in a purchased e-pub book is one referred to in one of my original posts and that is the double 'll' this still crops up with consistency even in a purchased epub and I wondered if this is some kind of quirk that has yet to be ironed out.

Again many thanks for the responses, it is, quite educational reading all the differences of opinion.

No doubt I will encounter many more problems on my journey, which in reality has only just begun.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #45
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am glad that you are happily reading on your Sony. Your perserverence paid off and it sounds like you have kind of enjoyed the ride. Or at least learning what you have learned.

I have no idea about the ll thing. Since you have Calibre and you know how to convert documents, I would say feel free to shop at whatever store you want to find the best price. If you have some problems there is an entire forum devoted to Calibre here that can help you. The developers post there as well so you should be well taken care of.

For now, I would sit back and enjoy reading!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote