Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
zeiskeit
zeiskeit began at the beginning.

Device: None
Smile Which large reader has double-column format AND TTS?

Hi there!

I would love to find an ereader that I could actually read like a double-sided book, eg a larger reader with a two-column format.

I strongy prefer B/W e-ink, in part because of battery life, and in part because I just don't need color.

Sony once made one that had a two-column format, I think the 950 Daily Edition, which does not seem to be available new, any longer.

Does the Kindle DX do this?

Ideally my new ereader would have:

eink
two-column format
TTS
dictionary

Thanks!!!
zeiskeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
The only one that meets those requirement is the Kindle Touch, as far as I know.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 12-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I think Pocketbook 902/912 will meet your criteria. For pdf-files it offers a two-column mode, it has TTS for many languages, dictionaries and uses an eink screen (but not pearl).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
The only one that meets those requirement is the Kindle Touch, as far as I know.
I am not able to find that it has that capability -- does this work for you, other than with PDF?
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Kindle Touch does not have dual column and it's not large enough to be useful. You want a reader with a larger then 6" screen. But then, I don't know of such that does dual column and TTS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
I am not able to find that it has that capability -- does this work for you, other than with PDF?
It has tow-column view, but only for PDF. I thought you were talking about PDF files.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Pocketbook Pro models will read in column mode. 902/903/912 are what you want as Billi stated
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote