Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-24-2022, 05:22 PM   #1
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Plugin PB but doesn't give option about PCLink or Charge

I've also posted in the Calibre forum about this (related) issue.

Basically, when I connect my Touch 3D to either the Mac (10.12.2) or Windows laptop (10.x) neither computer "sees" it and nor does the selection to charge or pick PCLink.

I've tried going into the options and selecting "always PCLink" but to no avail. I've also tried multiple USB cables. When I plug it in, it basically only does charge (unless it's fully charged and then it does nothing).

I have just updated to the latest firmware and still have the same issue. Woe.

Am I missing something obvious? It has definitely worked in the past both to transfer files on the old mac and given me the "charge or pclink" message.

Thanks.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:25 AM   #2
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
IIRC it was once mentioned that wifi needs to be disconnected first.
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2022, 04:01 AM   #3
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that but still not working.

I contacted Pocketbook and they've suggested all the things I've already done. Their final suggestion is to format the internal memory, which will delete all the books I've currently got on it. It's a dilemma.

I can sort of understand the Mac not working (old mac, old OS) but the Windows laptop not so much - that's up to date. It's got to be something on the device, I think but I'm baffled as to what it could be.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:34 AM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
1) Device - Settings: Setting it to: "always PCLink" is recommended, you already did that and it didn't help.
2) That gives the idea it may be cable or USB port related.
Trying different USB cables is recommended, you did that but didn't write if you tested them with another device which would be apropriate, to cancel out other errors. If you have 2 confirmed working USB cables you have something to work with.
3) Deviceport: It can also be deviceport related, having either some dirt in it or a lose contact or some cases do create contact problems too. Removing the device from the case and connecting it to the PC, carefully cleaning the port with nonconducting material like air or toothpricks might help too. Testing the port if it is still solidly fixed is recommended (loose contacts).

Last edited by nhedgehog; 03-26-2022 at 05:39 AM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #5
skb
Evangelist

Thank you.

The good news is that I have an abundance of USB cables. I have now tried five on both computers. And I've really got to cut down on cables.

The port on the PB seems clean. I even got out the air thingy that I clean my Neo keyboard with and a toothpick.

On the Mac I've tried direct to Mac and via a hub. There is only direct with the Surface.

It looks like the formatting it is becoming my only option. I hope it works after that...I will be sad otherwise. I love this darn reader.
Advert
Old 03-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
And a shutdown? ie holding the power button for x sec. This solved a similar problem here once.

Ruling out port/wire problems can also be done using the OS USB info.

- mac: check "about this mac" > 'system report' > hardware > USB
- calibre: prefs > miscellaneous > debug device detection
Look for Obreey or vendor ID 0xfffe

My impression though is these devices sorta 'fake' being an usb disk. So a reset might make sense.
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:53 PM   #7
skb
Evangelist

Thanks for those suggestions. Sadly, no luck.

Reset it is. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #8
skb
Evangelist

Okay, bad news.

I tried the "Format Internal Memory". Same result (more multiple cables - I found another couple!). In desperation, I tried "Factory Reset" - this seems to be the same as formatting memory. No luck.

I guess I'll try moving to wifi. Oh dear.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:44 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
Okay, bad news.

I tried the "Format Internal Memory". Same result (more multiple cables - I found another couple!). In desperation, I tried "Factory Reset" - this seems to be the same as formatting memory. No luck.

I guess I'll try moving to wifi. Oh dear.
Sorry to hear that. Doesn't your HD 3 have a 2 year warranty? (Maybe that's over?) Did this problem start as soon as you upgraded your Mac? If so that would be an odd coincidence. Did you ever try connecting to the Windows computer before your HD 3 quit connecting? Is there anyone nearby that has a computer that you test this on?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:01 AM   #10
skb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Sorry to hear that. Doesn't your HD 3 have a 2 year warranty? (Maybe that's over?) Did this problem start as soon as you upgraded your Mac? If so that would be an odd coincidence. Did you ever try connecting to the Windows computer before your HD 3 quit connecting? Is there anyone nearby that has a computer that you test this on?
I think the warranty is only 12 months...

I haven't upgraded the Mac. It's still running 10.12 (because I have software that won't run on updated OS). The laptop is a newish Surface and is totes up to date (and I was so confident that it would work, that I installed Calibre on it - I really like the latest version). Nup. As Hans Solo says, "don't get cocky". There are no nearby victims with a computer.

I tried as many variations as I could think of:
  • computer(s) on, Touch on, plug in via usb hub port(s)
  • computer(s) on, Touch on, plug in direct to computer's usb port(s)
  • computer(s) on, Touch off, plug in via usb hub and direct ports (worth a try)
  • Touch on, plug in, boot up computer(s)
  • All of the above with "PC Link" and "Ask when connected" set.
Actually, I'd never previously tried the Touch with the Win machine because...working Mac. The traitor. In my last successful attempt, I remember getting the "what do you want to do" message.

Today I've reset and whatnotted to the Touch a few times with no joy. It seems my only option now is to use Dropbox - which has had limited success so far. First I had to re-upload my stuff to DB (because it couldn't cope with the directories that were created by Calibre2OPDS that I still use). Or rather copy books sans dirs to new directory for downloading. Trouble is, the Touch keeps having a cow every ten minutes trying to download.
I may have broken its brain. I'm not a "pick & chooser" - I just whack ALL my stuff on the reader - hence why it's over eight months since I last tried this. I admit I'm probably an edge-case user. But it's got a big hard drive, so why not add ALL the books onto the thing, right?

I really can't understand what has gone so horribly wrong. All the cables, in all the hubs & ports, charged the Touch when plugged in (and it showed on the little battery thing). So, the USB bits are working. But for some reason, the gadget doesn't. On the bright side, once I've (finally) downloaded my books via Dropbox, it should be relatively simple to sync any further updates but, sadly, not via Calibre.

I like to think that it's my first world crisis.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I think the warranty is only 12 months...
I would look into that because, even in the U.S. where we normally only have one year warranties, PocketBook comes with a 24 month warranty. (I can't say how good it is, though — so far I've been lucky and haven't had to use it.)

Quote:
I haven't upgraded the Mac. It's still running 10.12 (because I have software that won't run on updated OS). The laptop is a newish Surface and is totes up to date (and I was so confident that it would work, that I installed Calibre on it - I really like the latest version). Nup. As Hans Solo says, "don't get cocky". There are no nearby victims with a computer.
My mistake on the imaginary upgrade. For some reason I got the impression that you had just upgraded. I must be thinking of a different post. Sorry.

I wonder if the Surface would allow you to try a Live Linux USB? I know my wife's Windows USB ports sometimes have trouble. But then the Surface may be using USB-C, which is something I really haven't run into.

Quote:
I really can't understand what has gone so horribly wrong. All the cables, in all the hubs & ports, charged the Touch when plugged in (and it showed on the little battery thing). So, the USB bits are working. But for some reason, the gadget doesn't. On the bright side, once I've (finally) downloaded my books via Dropbox, it should be relatively simple to sync any further updates but, sadly, not via Calibre.
I understand the issue. Even though I like the WiFi options, I almost always use the USB port to side-load. There's also "Send-to-Pocketbook" that allows you to send just the .ascm file via WiFi and then the PocketBook itself downloads the book. But I'm guessing this doesn't apply to your (probably) mostly DRM-less eBooks.

I'm frustrated for you because the HD 3 is my favorite reader and I hate to see others deprived of theirs.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:29 PM   #12
skb
Evangelist

Don't get me wrong, the HD3 is still fantastic. I can still read with it but getting stuff on it has changed and I'll just have to suck it up. I managed to get a lot of books onto it via DB and hopefully, the rest will get added today.

To be fair, the work flow for uploading to it is a lot less complicated than my old Palm Pilot, so there's that.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!
Old 03-29-2022, 10:16 AM   #13
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
There are other options for loading books onto the device via wifi. The package for rooting the device has a sshd daemon built into it. If you don't want to or can't root the device, you can get a separate sshd package in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159636. If that doesn't work, there is a link to a thread where vsftpd is available towards the end of the sshd thread.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #14
skb
Evangelist

Thanks for that!

Pocketbook have been in touch, asking for purchase details etc. We shall see what comes.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:22 PM   #15
skb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Sorry to hear that. Doesn't your HD 3 have a 2 year warranty?
Pocketbook confirmed I have a two year warranty. But all the books are transferred over by Dropbox now (only took 24 hrs), so I think it's a sleeping dog and lying situation.