Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
tilleydog
tilleydog is on a distinguished road

Device: Android phone
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'replace' when trying to add books

I am getting the following error when I try to add a book or multiple books. Calibre vers 7.18.

WARNING: Failed to read metadata: Failed to read metadata from the following:

Lives of Twelve Caesars, The By Sueton - Unknown.pdf
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 108, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 170, in add
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1753, in create_book_entry
File "site-packages\calibre\library\caches.py", line 518, in books_added
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 600, in has_cover
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 357, in path
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'replace'

Then when I exit out of Calibre it will not restart saying the database is corrupted. I then open the database in sqllite browser go to the end of the books table and the book is there but without many of the fields populated. I remove that row and calibre will start up just fine. I have run the check database integrity and it comes back successful.

Anyone have any suggestions?
tilleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run a database integrity check from Preferences->Advanced->Miscellaneous
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And have you been running calibre from source/putting source files into the calibre installation directory? If so uninstall delete c:\Program Files\calibre2 and c;|Program Files\calibre and re-install
Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
tilleydog

Uninstalled and reinstalled, same issue when adding.

The last entry in the books table has the following fields populated correctly .
id, title, series_index, author_sort. All other fields are empty. Once I remove that last entry, Calibre will start again.

It looks to me like the metadata db won't allow entries into one of the fields.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Wait are you saying that you cannot start calibre or that you cannot add books? or both?
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
tilleydog

I can't add books. When I do I get the error listed above. Then when I stop calibre and restart calibre complains the database is corrupt and wants to start new metadb. I then go in using sqllite browser and remove the partial entry from the metadb and can then start calibre using my original metadb.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Did you run the db integrity check?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
tilleydog

As stated in the first post, I can successfully run the db integrity check.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK, I'll add a workaround for your problem in the next release, though why it is happening is a mystery to me.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
nemez
nemez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The same happens with me, too. But only after I installed the 0.7.21 version. The message I get when I try to add a book is the following:

WARNING: Failed to read metadata: Failed to read metadata from the following:

Burke, James Lee - In The Electric Mist With Confederate Dead.htm
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 108, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 167, in add
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2045, in create_book_entry
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 434, in set_path
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 379, in path

It actually creates an entry for the book, but it is empty but the title and I can't do anything else with it, but delete it. It is probably the same corrupted book record that tilleydog has reported.

Btw.: when I add a new format to a book that's already in Calibre, it works properly!

Also, I don't know if it might have anything to do with this, but I have used the 'Back up metadata of all books' new feature, but it is probably still continiously running in the background, because I have more than 13,000 books in the database!
nemez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
nemez

Oh, yes - one more thing: I have tried the database integrity check, too, but it only displays a progressbar with 0% and stays there forever!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
nemez

I have tried one more thing: I have created an empty library and I could add the book to that successfully without any problem. Then, I try to copy the book from the new library to the old one with the 'Copy to library' feature and got this:

ERROR: Failed: Could not copy books: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'replace'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\copy_to_library.py", line 32, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\copy_to_library.py", line 70, in doit
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2127, in import_book
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 434, in set_path
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 379, in path
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You must let the check integrity finish. If it seriously does not finish (give it 24 hours if need be), then your library is seriously broken.

How many books do you have in this library?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
nemez

Quote:
How many books do you have in this library?
I have 13,000 books and I gave it 8 hours to finish (or even just to move above 0%!)
Old 10-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemez View Post
I have 13,000 books and I gave it 8 hours to finish (or even just to move above 0%!)
Give it longer. Or give up on the library. Your choice.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote