Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
bobulbous
bobulbous began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
Views on the DX?

Hello.

I bought a bebook neo thinking it was a good choice. It's irritating me after a few weeks use and was wondering how much you users recomend me buying a DX as a replacement?
bobulbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have never used a bebook but I did get a DX after having a Kindle 2 and I think I made the right choice...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I love my DX but it's the first ereader I've purchased, so I really can't compare. I found that making a list of things I MUST HAVE in an ereader helped me narrow my choices down.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Hi bobulbous, as it happens, I have a DX and was thinking of getting the BeBook Neo (aka Onyx Boox 60?). I like the different formats it can read and the WiFi functionality plus the TOC feature in readings PDFs. Why are you unhappy with your BeBook Neo?
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
I have several Reading devices besides the kindle DX but what we really need to know if we want to help you is what was so "irritating" for you. Everything else will just be the usually "i love my personal gadget cause ..." - i am pretty sure that won't help you much!
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
bobulbous

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Bebook Neo problems:
1. Tablet. Pretty useless and cheap to be honest, even after calibrations and firmware updates its just not very responsive and irritating for note taking.
2. Wifi. Although not a main reason for me choosing it, as a feature it's redudant. The battery can't handle any real wifi use.
3. PDF handling. It's very slow and tedious loading pages at times. I pretty much only read pdf files and have to zoom a lot for small text, which when combined with the slow loading is basically a pain in the behind.

Now I know the Kindle has basically no pdf features, but i was hoping the much larger screen would mean I wouldn't need to zoom on most files.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Oh the Kindle DX has PDF Features, even zooming into a PDF is possible with the new firmware.

1. The kindle DX isn't a tablet at all but as you know that already for sure this won't be an issue for you anymore.

2. The Whispersync is a really cool feature. Of course i will get much more battery lifetime by turning it off (several weeks) but most of the time i just keep my whispersynch on the whole time (several newspapers subscriptions and sending myself personal documents on a regular basis) and i have a battery lifetime of something around 1 week. Thats at least a feature which works out if you need it.

3. Like i said above. You'll have basic pdf features and the zoom mode works out very good for me (i read big PDF's with small fonts "quarter by quarter" with the next page button, which is very comfortable in my eyes).
But if you use PDF's very often and need quick zoom in, zoom out for looking at details and then again getting an overview of the document, or if you have mainly PDF's where the colour is important for you i think something like the iPad would be the better kind of choice.

But if you are mainly a passionated reader who needs sometimes PDF support with simple but working PDF zoom features the DX will make you very happy.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
gfmucci
gfmucci began at the beginning.

Device: dx
The DX is a hoot. I took it to the NC mountains with me. Besides being able to download books anywhere (and reading on it is a pleasure), I was able to surf the net, review blogs (trial subscriptions), and do some emailing. This device was very worthwhile for me.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
bobulbous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Oh the Kindle DX has PDF Features, even zooming into a PDF is possible with the new firmware.

But if you are mainly a passionated reader who needs sometimes PDF support with simple but working PDF zoom features the DX will make you very happy.
Brilliant, I didn't know that new firmware had made it possible to zoom.

I mainly use my current e reader for architectural theory and philosophy, so it's nealy all text anyway, with very few diagrams.

Does the DX remember the zoom after page turns?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Sischa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulbous View Post
Does the DX remember the zoom after page turns?
Yes it does.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1435/p6130121.jpg[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Boom... Roasted!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Boom... Roasted!

I love mine.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Roy!

I had no idea that the 2.5 update included a waterproof feature!
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Well, the proof is presented!
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Roy, I thought I was happy with my update, but now I see that my happiness is but a shadow of your happiness!

Your picture makes me smile.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote