Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
iPad case?

I just ordered the Apple iPad case because I like the way it folds back to put the iPad at an angle for viewing/typing. However, since it's not supposed to ship for 2-3 weeks, I thought I'd just check and see if there are any other iPad cases out there that anyone recommends. If you have suggestions, please let me know. I'm looking for the type that is like a book cover (like the Apple one), not for a slide in case type. (I hope that makes sense.) I've been searching online, but haven't seen anything similar to the Apple one with the option to fold the cover back into a stand. It seems the reviews for the Apple case are pretty mixed, but I really need to have something to protect the iPad when I want to take it with me. It feels kind of slippery to me, so I'd like to have the security of having it in a case while I'm using it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...t/thankyou.gif
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
Cyber Sleuth
Cyber Sleuth began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite
I have the Apple iPad case and like it a lot. I was like you in needing something to protect it and was worried about it slipping out of my hands too.

The case is rugged and protective. I even dropped the iPad in the case from the seat of my couch and it did a great job of protection.

I think you'll like what you've ordered.
Cyber Sleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i have the apple case, picked it up with my ipad a few weeks ago, and like it very much. nice rubbery outer surface that protects from scratches and is grippy. the stand feature is nice too. the black color seems to resist dirt and scuffs as well. i'm happy with the case.

good friend of mine picked one up from marware.com, it's similar to the apple case with the addition of a strap across the back so that you can hold it one handed. i think it's a neat idea and wish the apple case had one but i'm not going to blow another $40 on a case.

in addition to the case i have a screen protector film on from bestskinsever.com. some people like them, some don't.

i definately recommend some sort of case though.. funny, i saw a woman in an airport a few weeks ago. she had her ipad in a ziplock bag. we got to chatting, she said she was waiting for her apple case to get shipped to her. the bag did for her for now.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback on the Apple case. I've read such varied reviews on it. It sounds like it will be fine for what I want. I guess I'll just have to wait for it to get here. I went to the Apple store today, but they are out of them. And funny - I carried my iPad in the plastic Apple Store bag today, since I don't have the cover yet!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Be careful about carrying it around in public in the Apple bag, screams "steal me!" to would be thieves.
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
I have the official apple case as well and like it. I've read that some of the other cases that fold for typing are not very sturdy, but the apple case is very sturdy when typing.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I have the apple case and like it as well. I wish it had a clasp to secure it closed like some folio type cases I've seen.

Go to an office depot. You can find some cheap netbook neoprene sleeves and cases. I started to buy one that was 12 dollars. I wanted a little extra protection for travel over the apple case. It's folding flap didn't secure, so I bought a 10" netbook case that zips closed, has a carrying handle, and an outer zipper pocket for accessories. It was 19.99. Many of the same type products at the bestbuy next door were 39.99, having the word ipad in the title of the product.

I put the ipad in the apple case and use the additional protection from the netbook case for traveling. The apple case and ipad fits snug in it. The apple case is good, but I'm leary of a drop from standing height on hard floor, particularly since the apple case can't be secured closed.
drofgnal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
neous
neous began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Be careful about carrying it around in public in the Apple bag, screams "steal me!" to would be thieves.
Agree, it's like working around SLR camera with the OEM strap (especially the Nikon strap)
neous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
neous

there are some reviews stating that once one folds the apple case in its "landscape mode" the case doesn't folds flat anymore. Have you guys with the apple case experienced it.

Last edited by neous; 05-03-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books

hmm.. well. i can't speak to the reviewer's unit, but mine continues to fold flat. i've only folded it into easel position, i haven't folded it past where you're supposed to. maybe if you folded it and creased the cover the wrong way you could cause this problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by neous View Post
there are some reviews stating that once one folds the apple case in its "landscape mode" the case doesn't folds flat anymore. Have you guys with the apple case experience it.
Mine still folds flat, and I take it into and out of the typing (landscape) fold all the time.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Apple case for the iPad is quite a good fit for the iPad and it folds back well for typing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
neous

thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Apple case

I got one of those Apple cases a few days ago. While I like the way you can fold it to elevate your iPad, if the surface you're using is at all dirty, the case will pick up bits of that dirt. The dirt then ends up on your screen when you refold your case to its closed position.

I also don't know how sturdy the case is. I can see it falling apart with heavy use.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books

hmm mine seems to resist dirt pretty well. but i don't lay it on the ground either. any case that has an easel style like this would be suspect to that problem though. quick brush-off with the hand should be good. and another reason to add a film/skin to the front screen.

i really don't see my case as falling apart with heavy use. it's already survived about 20k miles in travels through a few airports in different countries being tossed around in my current messenger bag. the edges don't show the slightest bit of wear or fraying. the rubber coated material seems very scuff resistant as well.

i guess my only complaint right now is the case won't "age" like a nice leather case would.