Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
Eatnread
Eatnread began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (purple)
The only comment from people that I find odd is "I just like the feel of holding a book" Really? With the cover on my Pocketpro, I can hold it like a regular book, or lay it flat (without cracking a binding), or hold it with either hand equally comfortably, eat and turn pages without smearing food permantly all over the paper, and if I fall asleep I don't lose my place because of flipping pages or it falling shut.
Eatnread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
I have no issue with answering questions about the device, but some people just don't get it. And I have no patience for them. And i don't care if you don't like the candor of my thread. Make one of your own about the 'candor' used in forums.

And the reason I used brackets was to show my thoughts, not my answers!

Last edited by troykm; 12-19-2009 at 08:35 PM.
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
When people ask me about my device, I try to be less pretentious and condescending towards them.

So let me redress the original poster's questions with my own answers, however witless:

Why don't you just carry a book?
Because I care enough about portability that I'm usually willing to trade quality and tangibility for it.

Why is the screen not color?
Because the technology is not yet sophisticated enough to display color.

Can i watch videos on it?
Unfortunately the screen technology is too primitive to support such things.

Why does it not have unlimited memory?
Because it's essentially a crude tablet computer, and all computers have finite memory.

Can i get [religious book] on it?
You would have to search for it, and perhaps download it illegally, which may be offensive in your belief system, but there's a good chance you could find it. For a biblical scholar or collector though, it's always best to have dedicated paper copies around.

Do i have to download books for it?
Yep, unless you want to stick with the free bundled books that come with the device when you buy it.

Does it have an inbuilt printer?
As amusing as that would be (and useful for document readers), it's not really feasible now.
Your comments are pretentious and condescending towards people who like e-readers. Make you sound like a "print snob".

Last edited by HansTWN; 12-19-2009 at 08:39 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Your comments are pretentious and condescending towards people who like e-readers. Make you sound like a "print snob".
Well since I like and use ebook readers, it seems a little strange that I'd be so dubbed. The quality and usability aren't there, as I often point out. That does not make me a print snob. There's nothing especially arrogant about wanting reasonable quality for your money. I can get decent quality on a good high-res high-contrast screen. I read my documents on computers most of the time and am generally satisfied with the text quality when a book is adequately set in PDF. Yet I still have an ebook reader and use it every day. I tell people quite often "in a few years, these things should be interesting."

But yes perhaps I like taking shots at the ebook community once in a while, since I see it in a highly unflattering light, such as that promoted in this thread. I also see a lot of dishonesty and hype. Perhaps that dishonesty and hype are actually just unintentional blindness, but misinformation and disinformation are hard to separate sometimes in communities based on justification.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. You can go on and call me a luddite too...I think that title gets thrown around a lot in these parts too.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
I have no issue with answering questions about the device, but some people just don't get it. And I have no patience for them. And i don't care if you don't like the candor of my thread. Make one of your own about the 'candor' used in forums.

And the reason I used brackets was to show my thoughts, not my answers!
Read my post again. I said I was surprised by the candor of this thread. Surprised. Lighten up a little Smile, it's good for ya!
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Well since I like and use ebook readers, it seems a little strange that I'd be so dubbed. The quality and usability aren't there, as I often point out. That does not make me a print snob. There's nothing especially arrogant about wanting reasonable quality for your money. I can get decent quality on a good high-res high-contrast screen. I read my documents on computers most of the time and am generally satisfied with the text quality when a book is adequately set in PDF. Yet I still have an ebook reader and use it every day. I tell people quite often "in a few years, these things should be interesting."

But yes perhaps I like taking shots at the ebook community once in a while, since I see it in a highly unflattering light, such as that promoted in this thread. I also see a lot of dishonesty and hype. Perhaps that dishonesty and hype are actually just unintentional blindness, but misinformation and disinformation are hard to separate sometimes in communities based on justification.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. You can go on and call me a luddite too...I think that title gets thrown around a lot in these parts too.
The following of your comments are highly condescending:

1.)A reader is not a crude computer and has no aspirations to be one. It is meant as a reader and not a computer. Yes, multi function devices will come, but a reader never claims to be more than a reader -- even though some people always hope for that. I myself will buy a multi function tablet once the technology is "right" for reading.

2.)The screen technology is not primitive. It is a different, special technology suitable for reading. The most advanced LED/OLED screens with super high resolution and refresh rates cannot offer the same usability. You make it sound like it is a step back from LCD.

We basically have different opinions, no problem with that. But it seems to me that the vast majority of e-reader users are quite happy with their devices -- for regular reading. To display text in a manner that is easily readable, convenient book like form factor, long battery life, no heat. That is what they were designed for, not to make coffee. You are not satisfied, so it is time to get over it and prepare yourself to sit out the next 3 years until something comes along that fills your special needs. Why make it your life's mission to turn people off to e-readers? They are good enough for most people.

Last edited by HansTWN; 12-19-2009 at 10:26 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #22
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I guess I'm the opposite, I LOVE being an ambassador for Ebook readers.

I take mine with me everywhere, hoping someone will ask me questions.
I love to show it off. Although for the most part I have not run into the questions you've run into.

For me they are mostly

A Is that a Kindle?
"No its better than a Kindle"

B What else does it do?
Pictures and Mp3's, but I just read with mine, lots and lots of books.

C How many books can you put on it?
"over 500 at the moment" (that was with my old 512mb sd card, running 4g now)
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #23
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
i have had my e reader for 3 months and take it with me everywhere i go, at work a lot of people are asking me about it, most are asking stupid questions and im getting tired of showing it to people who ask about it. has anyone else had stupid questions like this?

Why don't you just carry a book? ( i am, hundreds )

Why is the screen not color? (because most books are not you fool)

Can i watch videos on it? (no, again its an e book reader not a dvd player)

Why does it not have unlimited memory? ( 512 on board is good for hundreds of books and 4gb sd card for thousands, why would you want more?)

Can i get the bible on it? (how the hell would i know?!)

Do i have to download books for it? (no, just shove your paper books through the sd card slot!)

and my favorite! this was a real question asked just yesterday

Does it have an inbuilt printer? (i did not even bother answering that one)

do you have any amusing questions from stupid people when they see your e reader?

troykm :-)
PRICELESS....and a perfect example that stoopid people should not be allowed to breed. It's obviously not as if they can read anyway.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #24
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i didn't think those were particularly dumb. for example, when people ask me

Why don't you just carry a book?
i respond "because this way i don't have to decide what book to bring - and if i finish what i'm reading, i can choose which book to read next without having to go home or to a bookstore".

because it's easier on my eyes to read without color.

the printer question... well. that was dumb.

i, too, feel like an ambassador for ebook readers, and i like that. i'm very happy to let more people know about these cool devices!

Quote:
i have had my e reader for 3 months and take it with me everywhere i go, at work a lot of people are asking me about it, most are asking stupid questions and im getting tired of showing it to people who ask about it. has anyone else had stupid questions like this?

Why don't you just carry a book? ( i am, hundreds )

Why is the screen not color? (because most books are not you fool)

Can i watch videos on it? (no, again its an e book reader not a dvd player)

Why does it not have unlimited memory? ( 512 on board is good for hundreds of books and 4gb sd card for thousands, why would you want more?)

Can i get the bible on it? (how the hell would i know?!)

Do i have to download books for it? (no, just shove your paper books through the sd card slot!)

and my favorite! this was a real question asked just yesterday

Does it have an inbuilt printer? (i did not even bother answering that one)

do you have any amusing questions from stupid people when they see your e reader?

troykm :-)
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #25
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I'm with you here ... The funnies question I remember was while riding the city loop train "Oh, I thought that was a fake screen".
Mind you that was back in 2007, but I'm not surprised at all this is still hapenning ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #26
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
When people ask me about my device, I try to be less pretentious and condescending towards them.
Sorry, folks, but I agree with the sentiments expressed by LDBoblo and HaggisMacJedi.

You all sound like a bunch of experienced gamers who trash the new players for wanting to learn the game.

Fortunately, some of you have come thru with cooler heads. But I'm surprised some of you are the same people who make this forum such a welcome place for people trying to learn about ereading.

I've seen posts in this forum (from "some of us") asking the same questions, or lamenting that ereaders don't yet have many of the very features you are condemning unknowledgeable people for asking about. No one treats THEM like they just fell off a vegetable truck.

I sort of realize this was intended as a humorous thread, but I fail to see the humor.

At all.

There's no such thing as a stupid question -- only a learning opportunity. I thot that was what this forum was all about.

------------------------ 2nd edit, in the morning light

After rereading the thread, I find that my biggest reaction is to the characterization of the people asking the questions as being "stupid". I don't believe asking uninformed questions makes the person stupid.

There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance. Stupidity is a derogatory term for the inability to learn. Ignorance is a state which can be overcome thru education. (Even those who refuse to learn are not stupid, just holding tightly to their euphoric ignorance)

Yes, many of the questions are humorous in the light of our knowledge, but I would hope that the (mostly demeaning) answers were not the ones actually given.

Last edited by eGeezer; 12-20-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added last line. / Added second edit
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #27
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2

Last edited by troykm; 12-20-2009 at 03:39 AM.
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #28
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Quote:
im sorry i posted anything now, and i will think twice before posting again in this forum
GREAT idea, and a great piece of advice for anyone wishing to post in any forum, actually. Well said.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #29
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It is color, can't you see it?

Can i watch videos on it?
Sure. You just have to store each frame as a picture and be quick with the page turn button.

Why does it not have unlimited memory?
Because it would be illegal (against the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics).

Does it have an inbuilt printer?
No, but you can take pictures of the screen with your phone and have a print shop print them.

I don't show my Cybook to many people, and use it mainly at home, so I don't get many questions. But the funnier were from my little cousins (5/7 years old): Is that a phone? Does it have games? Can I use your phone?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #30
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It is color, can't you see it?
I'm sure your kid cousins could turn it into a colour device quite happily, given an adequate collection of crayons

My 2.5 year old son did some amazing artwork on the back of my brand-spanking-new laptop. Lucky permanent markers were out of his reach ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote