Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
salty_seadog
salty_seadog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Author List

Could someone please help me, I have searched the forums but am either not very good at it or have missed something.

I am trying to re-arrange my book list on the reader to sort them by author, I know there is a button on the reader to do this but it arranges them in alphabetical order by THE FIRST NAME, is it just me or is that weird?

Has anyone found a way to organise them by 'last name, first name' if so could you please help.

Thanking you in advance.
salty_seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Not that I know of. Unless you can go into the file information and swap the last name to first name and vice versa. I haven't tried that. I sort by title (I usually remember the title, not the author).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I am actually really annoyed that it alphabetizes by first name. I haven't figured out a way around that, really, but I use the collections and organize them a totally different way (author collections or genre). I don't use the alphabetical order or the order added for anything. It's just too annoying!

I hope someone has some better information for you!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
It annoys me as well that the Sony alphabetizes by author first name. Could this be a cultural thing? Are Japanese names in last name - first name order as in some other cultures?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking if you use Calibre you could sort them by last name...

(please note I'm still new with 505 & Calibre..lol)
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I think that the only real solution is to save the author in a "Last, First" format, e.g. "Ringo, John".

Something to note with Calibre is that the Calibre GUI uses the "Author Sort" field but Sony Readers use the "Author" field rather than the "Author Sort" field.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Author Sort is there because Sony's LRF format has a field "author reading as" (or some name close to that) which is obviously intended to be used to alphabetize author names. Unfortunately, the PRSxxx firmware appears to ignore that field. If they'd just honor the bloody thing all would be well. ePub defines a similar field (I forget the name, but it's there).

Calibre sticks its "author sort" data into the relevant LRF and ePub fields. But the *&^%&^%$&^$% Reader firmware ignores it. Sigh.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
arshute
arshute began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Hi,

Because I use a mac I have to use calibre to manage my ebook collection and this allows me to arrange the author by surname. There are 2 entry boxes on calibre which I enter the details of the author starting with the surname and this is how it appears on my reader.
Hope this helps.

Allen.
arshute is offline   Reply With Quote