Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 AM   #46
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Most boring book for me was "Dahlgren." However, I slogged through it anyway.
That would be Samuel R. Delany, for anyone who might not be familiar with the title.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
most boring read: War of the Worlds
most boring I tried to read: The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I found the book's opening paragraph, as well as the rest of the book, one incredible read.

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment."

Intellects vast and cool....intelligences greater than man's...YEAH, BABY!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #48
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
"Great Expectations" by Dickens. It just went on and on and on...

Btw., not in school - I had to slough through Danish classics instead
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #49
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Intellects vast and cool....intelligences greater than man's...
Women !!!!!

"...and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #50
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and honestly? "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" could have been cut by 3/4 and still gotten the point across
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #51
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I found the book's opening paragraph, as well as the rest of the book, one incredible read.

"... and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment."

Intellects vast and cool....intelligences greater than man's...YEAH, BABY!
It "sounds" particularly good if you imagine it being paraphrased by the wonderful voice of Richard Burton (and, if you have the relevant album, you don't even have to imagine it).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #52
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I might get some flack for this, but I think the most boring thing I've ever read is The Bible (or at least was forced to read on a regular basis during Catholic school). Lots of begatting, but no real description. I was thoroughly let down.
Yes, YES!!! Top of my list too, although I wasn't even thinking about that book . Genesis, an instant sleeping drug.
I unfortunately had to read the Holy Bible too. Sunday school from about 7 years old until I started finding excuses not to go - at the age of about 17, (Sunday school was on Saturday AND Sunday) come rain or shine. Then there were the church holiday camps and outings.... we had to learn hugs chunks off by heart for recitation day, and I'm not only talking about the Psalms!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A book is bad if it's boring. Why would I want to waste my time reading a boring book?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwolf36 View Post
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and honestly? "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" could have been cut by 3/4 and still gotten the point across
You didn't like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? That's treason. Seize him. Toss him out an airlock after reading him Vogon poetry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #55
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You didn't like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? That's treason. Seize him. Toss him out an airlock after reading him Vogon poetry.
Middlemarch. I couldn't get through it. But, I faked it on the exam and passed. You know, society, Victorian thoughts and lifestyles, sucks to be poor, limitations of womens' freedom, patriarchal hierarchy, etc. I doubt it was an A paper, but I do remember being surprised that I could bullsh!t well enough to pass. Can't recall a single character's name now, nor the author, nor do I want to. It is really dreadful.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #56
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Kaplan and Sddock's Textbook of General Psychiatry. Total snorefest! The plot was epsiodic to distraction and the characterizations were, at best psychotic.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #57
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Hobbit. Bored me into a coma.

Yeah, I said it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #58
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Middlemarch. I couldn't get through it. But, I faked it on the exam and passed. You know, society, Victorian thoughts and lifestyles, sucks to be poor, limitations of womens' freedom, patriarchal hierarchy, etc. I doubt it was an A paper, but I do remember being surprised that I could bullsh!t well enough to pass. Can't recall a single character's name now, nor the author, nor do I want to. It is really dreadful.
BBC made a rather nice four part mini-series over this book. I don't think I'd ever want to read it though.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #59
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
The Hobbit. Bored me into a coma.

Yeah, I said it.
Not as bad as saying you found The Lord of the Rings boring.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #60
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Not as bad as saying you found The Lord of the Rings boring.
The Hobbit was so coma-boring that I refused to read Lord of the Rings. Had the entire set sitting on the shelf (my wife's). Never touched it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote