Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
john.hunt100
john.hunt100 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
A Jasper Fforde mystery

Hi

I was just browsing eBookCrescent to see if there were any more Jasper Fforde books on there, as I read The Fourth Bear as my first eBook and have been hooked on ebooks ever since. However, there was only the Fourth Bear listed. The mystery is, it was listed twice along with two prices - does anybody know why, its not like there is a hardback and paperback version - or is there? Hence the mystery. Anybody know whats happening here?

http://www.ebookcrescent.com/advance...h+bear&x=9&y=9

cheers
John
john.hunt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Even more disturbing, the second one is listed under Nonfiction...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
This should probably be on a different forum, but oh well.

I'm not familiar with that retailer, but probably they get their books from two different suppliers, with two different pricing schemes. You can probably go ahead and buy the less expensive version.

Not sure where the Non-fiction tag came from, though.

I think only some of Fforde's books are available as ebooks. They are great (I have them all in paper!)
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Yes, Jasper Fforde is great! I think all of them is available, a little search found them here and here. perhaps you can find them at better prices other places. DieselBooks mysteriously lists The Fourth bear twice

You should read all of them

Last edited by Ea; 03-17-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: url fix
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
john.hunt100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Yes, Jasper Fforde is great! I think all of them is available, a little search found them here and here. perhaps you can find them at better prices other places. DieselBooks mysteriously lists The Fourth bear twice

And the price is different on each listing as well. What can be so different between ebooks to warrant such a difference?
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The difference is between 13.50 and 14 USD, that's not very much. I guess it's pricing policies at the individual book sellers?

We could put Thursday Next on the case. Those book prices are certainly literary crimes
Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
At Diesel, the more expensive Fourth Bear is Penguin, while the less expensive version is from Viking. The Penguin is the British version and the Viking is the American version, I guess. I don't know if that means any difference in the text. Maybe a few variations in spelling?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
At Diesel, the more expensive Fourth Bear is Penguin, while the less expensive version is from Viking. The Penguin is the British version and the Viking is the American version, I guess. I don't know if that means any difference in the text. Maybe a few variations in spelling?
Possibly. The Brits tend to throw in a couple of extra 'u's from time to time and have this strong need to change a 'z' to an 's'.

Maybe the price difference reflects the exchange rate at the time the book info was loaded into the database?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post

Do you not find that they get a little "repetitive" after a while? I really enjoyed the first couple of the "Thursday Next" books but after that found that they were basically just the same idea repeated over and over again. There's only so much of that that I can take.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you not find that they get a little "repetitive" after a while? I really enjoyed the first couple of the "Thursday Next" books but after that found that they were basically just the same idea repeated over and over again. There's only so much of that that I can take.
No, not really. Perhaps it's because I find the universe quite fascinating, and I think he makes good use of the characters and develops them - as well as he also develops the universe. I'll admit I'm charmed by the idea of the bookworld, too

Finally, I really like Thursday as a heroine. She is in many ways quite ordinary, with ordinary problems, and she solves her problems without superpowers or extraordinary intelligence - she just keeps going and keeps fighting. She's also self-reliant, she doesn't need a man, though she has one that she very much wants to be with. There's very little of typical gender behaviour in Thursday - she's just herself. That's very unusual, and I like it.

Last edited by Ea; 03-22-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
john.hunt100

The difference is between 13.50 and 14 USD, that's not very much. I guess it's pricing policies at the individual book sellers?
Ea

The difference is between $14 and $24 - that seems quite substantial to me. Even at the lower price I am going to wait until they get a decent price for an eBook when the pbooks are so much cheaper. I'll keep reading the classics

Last edited by john.hunt100; 03-23-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: not copied the post I was replying to