Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx777 View Post
Hey. Cant do. Kindle is mainly an lcd screen now isnt it, not eInk. Anyway, i like the small body large screen of the kobo.

I'm actually looking at a recommended version, the WEB. Not perfect, but definitely seems it may be a good choice in place of CEV. IT at least does not use the Alexandrian text for the source.

Now, if I can find out how to EDIT an EPUB and repackage it... I'd be in cloud 9 !!

Thanks everyone !
Any Kindles below Fire is E-Ink (pearl)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Now, if I can find out how to EDIT an EPUB and repackage it... I'd be in cloud 9 !!

Thanks everyone !
As PeterT has said you can use Sigil, and as I said in this post it will probably take a couple of days effort to get a really nice looking product.

Every kindle I've seen has an e-ink screen, that's because no one I know has an lcd kindle, the folks I know who might have bought one, bought an android tablet.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #33
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
And yeah, it's CEV or nothing. Would not touch an NIV and most other MAJ text Bibles. It's surprising the CEV is as true to the original as it is (it does have the usual missing verses etc... but at least the translation itself isn't so pointedly lacking).
If you don't mind me asking a few questions, you've got me intrigued. I'm kind of a Bible nerd, but am not very familiar with the CEV. The only information that I could find about the translation philosophy is that they started with the UBS texts, but most modern translations do. I do know that the NIV uses their own unique set of critical source texts, but other than that, what are you looking at to decide that other Bibles are adhering to Alexandrian texts and the CEV is using Byzantine texts? For that matter, what don't you like about the Alexandrian texts?

Additionally, I just assumed that the CEV was your mother's favorite and that was that, but if you're willing to look at alternatives, what kinds of things are you looking for in a translation? I read the Bible in several different translations and would like to think that I might be able to offer some suggestions.

Oh, and welcome to MobileRead, by the way!
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #34
cancelx777
cancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo
Hey Diff~
Thanks. And to my surprise, until recently I didn't realize CEV was Alexandrian. I thought it was MAJ (Byz). So, I thought it was better than your NIV type. Well, it reads a little more like the MAJ for some reason...probably the editors' choices as one of the reasons I don't like the ALEX are the primary translators who were involved in the spiritist movement. How to trust a Bible translation when it's translators hold seances.

Besides that is the whole Age for Accuracy debate, which I do not agree with. Location of discovery and degree of agreement is more important, as there was a tendancy to bury spurious writing that still contained Scripture rather than burning, whereas trusted and true Scripture was well worn and harder now to find.

IT's a big debate I realize, but going by original languages and witness of Scripture within Itself and the Early Church writers (before the councils) speaks volumes.

So for me, for serious study, it's Received Text. For easier read while studying, Byz MAJ. If just for a daily read, and you KNOW what has been removed and altered in the Min/Alex texts, then such a one as CEV provides a nice, clear reading. I've actually learned a few things through that translation.

Now, the WEB version, which I'm looking into, at first due to difficulty finding CEV epub, actually is based on the Byz MAJ, with reference in footnote to RT and MIN. Actually reads quite well.

Finding a WEB epub WITH a decent TOC is now the problem (grin.)

Things like straight up ASV are just too light, that is there is no reason to be as reductive in the Scripture as it is. NIV, well, I can't say anything positive in translation or intent. And some others are gender inclusive etc.... it's just ridiculous, almost like the editors are making apology for Scripture.

Well, that's my basic soapbox. I too have studied a ton of translations and history. IT's interesting to keep straight that's for sure !

Thanks for the reply !
Much joy in your studies.
Jim
cancelx777 is offline   Reply With Quote