Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
itsmattxp
itsmattxp began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Upgrading my Nook to read Manga better?

Hey all,

I currently have a Nook 1st edition and using only to read manga and a few comic books, however, it is primarily only for manga. I have no novels on this machine. The manga reads fine from my experience and I love the machine but I was wondering if there were any newer e-readers that would fulfill my requirements better? I'm used to reading off the 6' screen of the nook but is there any 8' screens out there? I was thinking of the iPad but don't want to get my eyes tired. How bad are the LCDs? I was also thinking of switching to the nook touch since its faster and more compact? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
itsmattxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
How bad are LCDs? I have read or am reading all of these on a 3.7" LCD. Aside from all the blurring in front of me, no problems at all...

seriously, no problems for me.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
The nook color has a very vibrant screen and a higher pixel density than the iPad. I find reading comics on the nook color to be fine but the screen size is not the best. I end up going back to reading comics on the iPad.

I have not encountered any eye fatigue using LCD screens. But then again I don't use them at 100% brightness.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The Sony 950 would be slightly better at 7 inches. It also has a pearl touchscreen.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Switch to 10 inches, best advice I can provide. 6 or 7 its just to small for reading the dialogues.

As far as the eye strain issue, that's more a personal thing. The iPad is not my main reader and I barely read Mangas. On my case, I use my iPad for short reading sessions and find no issues.

The advantage of the iPad is that you will get a bigger screen and there are a lot of nice and free apps for Mangas.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
itsmattxp

I'm now really debating between either the Sony 950 or the original iPad. Although I hear that reading off a LCD hurts the eyes after a period of time, and I'm on the computer A LOT, I think I might go with the Sony 950. However, the main draw that the iPad has that the Sony doesn't is the bigger screen and it would allow me to not only read Manga but also American Comics. I'm also looking for something with expandable memory, the more the better. I'm not really up to with the e-reader technology/releases so are there any other readers about to be released that might fit my criteria?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you in USA? Did you check or play with those in store? That could help you a bit to decide in terms or size or weight.

I do not read Manga a lot, but the iPad size is just great for that. Besides is faster and provides color (I know some Manga are just black and white) Some apps like Marvel I think, has a feature that enlarges each scene every time you move forward while reading, so it's even easier to read and enjoy the comics that well.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
itsmattxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Are you in USA? Did you check or play with those in store? That could help you a bit to decide in terms or size or weight.

I do not read Manga a lot, but the iPad size is just great for that. Besides is faster and provides color (I know some Manga are just black and white) Some apps like Marvel I think, has a feature that enlarges each scene every time you move forward while reading, so it's even easier to read and enjoy the comics that well.
Yup! I'm in the USA but all the original iPads in the apple store are now replaced with iPad 2s. Do you enjoy reading on your iPad? or is the strain on the eyes too much to read for more than an hour or two?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

I honestly don't read more than 2 hrs on the iPad. But you have 30 days return policy on BestBuy :-)

Why don't you try and if you like it, keep it ...
Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Jeff Rivera
Jeff Rivera began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've been using my Nook Color to read comics/graphic novels and it works just fine. I would also recommend using an iPad for the screen size.
Jeff Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmattxp View Post
Yup! I'm in the USA but all the original iPads in the apple store are now replaced with iPad 2s. Do you enjoy reading on your iPad? or is the strain on the eyes too much to read for more than an hour or two?
What are you reading this message on? I suspect it's an LCD computer monitor, right? Do you find using it for more than an hour or two to be an unbearable strain on your eyes?

Honestly, there's a load of rubbish written about the "strain" of LCD screens; I sit in front of one all day long without problems, and read on my iPad absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
itsmattxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What are you reading this message on? I suspect it's an LCD computer monitor, right? Do you find using it for more than an hour or two to be an unbearable strain on your eyes?

Honestly, there's a load of rubbish written about the "strain" of LCD screens; I sit in front of one all day long without problems, and read on my iPad absolutely fine.
I find the strain bearable but I've read things that staring at an LCD screen hurts your eyes, for instance making vision worse (permanent damage) rather than just eye strain. Whether or not that is true or not I don't know.

Like I stated in my previous posts, I'm interested in the iPad but after doing some research, the Nook Color caught my eye as well. So I'm wondering if anyone can answer some questions I have.

Does the laminated screen help reading in brightly lit rooms? Or is it just an advertised point that really does nothing?

How fast is the Nook Color once it is overclocked to 1.3 Ghz? I believe the iPad's processor is at 1.0 Ghz so would the Nook Color be faster? I'm not really good at comparing specs and because of that I don't really know how much of a difference that is from a stock Nook.

Is the Nook Color's touch screen responsive? I watched the video review from engadget and it looks like the screen or maybe just the software is really laggy and unpolished. When I watch a youtube video showing the iPad and when I tried it out at the Apple store, it was really smooth and applications oped up to the lightest touch. I haven't tried out the Nook Color but from videos I have seen, the screen is not very responsive. I have a Nook 1st edition and am wondering if the touch screen on the 1st edition is exactly the same as the Nook Color's touch screen?

Last, is the Nook Color capable of taking notes? I know on the iPad I can buy a boxweave stylus and take notes on it but I would like to know if the Nook Color can as well. I will be mostly viewing power points and would like to be able to highlight important parts and maybe jot down quick notes on the margins.

Hope you can help, and thanks for the help given already. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
kc24zz
Enthusiast
kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 505, galaxy tab
I do get eye strain from LCD screens, so it does happen. I figure its age related.
That said, I still use them but limit the hours per day.

Have you looked at the Galaxy Tab? It's an android tablet with two versions, a 10" and a 7". Both have SD slots.
kc24zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

I have a NC and I returned. It is "locked" into B&N environment without allowing you full Android Market. Yes, lot of people root it, but I personally believe that's really silly and a waste of time, not to mention voids warranty. Buy something that is fully supported and no need for hacks.

If money is not an issue, get an iPad. For Manga books, 10 is better than 7. If you don't like Apple products, take a look on Motorola Xoom or even Galaxy Tab.

There are more apps for ipad too!