Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #151
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
You seem to not fully understand the difference between hardware and software. Epub is software. Not hardware. Amazons version is also software. Amazons book software can be coded to do anything epub can do.. without a committee even. This is not a hardware thing unlike HD-DVD vs bluray which are two completely different hardware technologies.
I think he means that the epub format specification is more sophisticated than the older mobi format that much of amazon's books are based on. Both formats are essential html documents but mobi doesn't properly support some html tags or complex structures.

For example, both Microsoft Word and Notepad are software but you can create better looking and more complex documents with the former.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #152
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Talked to my library, and they have no plans to spend more money when they are doing just fine with epub.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #153
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Talked to my library, and they have no plans to spend more money when they are doing just fine with epub.
Supporting Kindle through Overdrive isn't supposed to cost libraries any extra money.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #154
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Hmmm, same misleading post that you made on Nook's forum. I wish people can be less passionate about their devices and more objective.

There will be no extra cost on the implementation and exact details of which format will be used has not being showed yet.

And the Kindle is a nice and good solution, is the bestselling ereader in USA. The main issue is the stupid DRM among companies. A regular novel reads exactly the same in epub or mobi.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #155
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hmmm, same misleading post that you made on Nook's forum. I wish people can be less passionate about their devices and more objective.
Sorry you don't like my post. I'm just telling you what the library said. If it turns out to be free, as in really no cost at all, I am sure they will reconsider.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #156
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Sorry you don't like my post. I'm just telling you what the library said. If it turns out to be free, as in really no cost at all, I am sure they will reconsider.
I think you are missing the point. From the press releases it has been made known that there is nothing for the library to consider or approve. The eBook licenses they currently own in ePub will be applicable to Kindle owners.

Just as now when you "check-out" a book your library doesn't have to approve whether you are using a nook or a kobo or reading it on your computer. They will just be adding Kindle to that mix.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #157
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Is not that I like or not your post, is that yours is misleading.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #158
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Hypothetically speaking (I'm sure that there are economic/business reasons for why Amazon wouldn't do this), could the Kindle firmware be updated to accept Mobipocket DRM? Or is there something about it that's just inherently incompatible?

Regarding libraries purchasing mobi books: do the libraries actually have copies of these files on their servers? Or do they purchase licenses and then send a request to OverDrive when a lbrary patron wishes to check out ebooks? It just seems like the most logical way to handle Amazon/Kindle library books is for the library to send the request to OverDrive as usual, which will then pass the request along to Amazon.
To read Mobipocket DRM ebooks, you needed to know your device's 'PID', which the reading apps would tell you. Then you had to supply this number when buying a book. Amazon wisely chose to obscure this detail. The PID is still there but Amazon learns what it is when you register a Kindle or Kindle app to your Amazon account. So there's effectively no way to tell a Mobipocket retailer (or Overdrive as in this discussion) what your PID is in order for it to prepare a DRMed book for a Kindle. There were ways around this but of dubious legality. Now that won't be necessary.

I believe Mobipocket titles reside on Overdrive's servers, as that arrangement was grandfathered in by Overdrive's licensing of Mobipocket technology when Amazon acquired the latter.

However I strongly suspect that Amazon will be fulfilling all of these lending library books on their servers, because only Amazon knows what the device IDs are for any given Amazon account, and I doubt they would want to share access to Amazon user accounts with Overdrive (nor would I want them to). So when you click Download on Overdrive's site, you'll probably get redirected to an Amazon hosted web site to complete the authentication with Amazon and choose the Kindle device you'll be reading the book on. That way you get wireless delivery, as well as all the synching functionality that goes along with books that you've purchased from amazon. So it will be much better than if you had been able to borrow Mobipocket books.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #159
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
To add to all this speculation, I sincerely hope that Amazon adds a "Borrow" (include a waitlisted message if there is a queue) button below the "Buy" button in the Kindle store. This would be optimal. Unfortunately, I don't think they will do that :/
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #160
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
To add to all this speculation, I sincerely hope that Amazon adds a "Borrow" (include a waitlisted message if there is a queue) button below the "Buy" button in the Kindle store. This would be optimal. Unfortunately, I don't think they will do that :/
They won't, because your library account(s) is not connected to your Amazon account. They would have no idea what titles your library has available at any given time.

I'm just hoping it is possible to navigate my library's Overdrive site with K3's browser so that the checkout workflow can be completed without needing a computer.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #161
vinleb63
vinleb63 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
This was announced in April and now it's August 28th, is there any word on when this will happen?
vinleb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #162
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinleb63 View Post
This was announced in April and now it's August 28th, is there any word on when this will happen?
I emailed my local library to find out if they will be participating. I got a reply from them saying yes they will be [yay] but they hadn't yet received any word on when it is going to happen. I had heard or read somewhere that it would be "by the end of the year" hopefully that means this year

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #163
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Rumors have it that it'll be sometime in September. Given that Overdrive was busy revamping things in August, September does sound good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #164
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Kindle and Overdrive stuff I've read so far says US only. I hate my country.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The Kindle and Overdrive stuff I've read so far says US only. I hate my country.
Um.... buy a Sony T1 for library eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote