Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
volto77
volto77 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo from Borders and Koboereader site?

R they the same spec? Both r 16 greyscale? Interested to get the one feom borders cos its 50 bucks cheaper. I'm asking about the wireless version of course. Thanks for any help.
volto77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Yes they would be the same. There are only 2 Kobos, the original non-wifi (no longer solde new) and the wi-fi. Borders is discounting them, and if you can go to a store that's closing, some (all) sell them for $79.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Both are the same spec, except for the firmware. The Borders units will point you to the Borders store.

If you want to use the Kobo bookstore, you can simply 'convert' the unit to be a Kobo unit by syncing with the Kobo desktop application. After this sync, it will always sync / connect wirelessly to the Kobo store.

I.e. you can go buy the discounted Borders unit, sync with Kobo desktop and it's now a Kobo unit at about half the price
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Both are the same spec, except for the firmware. The Borders units will point you to the Borders store.

If you want to use the Kobo bookstore, you can simply 'convert' the unit to be a Kobo unit by syncing with the Kobo desktop application. After this sync, it will always sync / connect wirelessly to the Kobo store.

I.e. you can go buy the discounted Borders unit, sync with Kobo desktop and it's now a Kobo unit at about half the price
I picked up a Kobo last weekend at Borders and have a question.

I downloaded the Borders desktop app. Should I have done this? Or should I download the Kobo desktop app?

What's the difference, user wise? Can/should I use both?

Thanks for your help. I am loving my Kobo.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
You can use both. I have in the past. I just use the Kobo desktop. I have a Linux system and it was hard enough getting the Kobo desktop to work so I can't be bothered trying to do it to the Borders one.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
As I understand it, you can only read kepubs from one of them, though you can read ePubs from anywhere (as long as they're non-DRM or ADE). And with the state of the Borders company, you might want to choose Kobo if you're reading kepubs.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
To understand this issue I need to explain what I am told about how a Kobo reader gets to you, the customer, and the many hands its passes through in order to get to you. At the conclusion of this dicussion you will understand why there is a Kobo from Kobo and one from Borders and why they sell at different prices.

The life of a Kobo reader begins at a factory where it is assembled from a group of parts that are bought on the open market. The finished readers are then sold to anyone who wants to buy them at a set price per unit, among these companies are Borders. The readers sold are then shipped by Kobo to the warehouse for that buyer who then adds on a percentage to the price as a profit then sells the readers to the customer. Both Kobo and Borders will decide what their profit margins, the percentage of markup, will be independent of each other then re-sell the readers to you the customer.

What this means for you, the customer, is since each company (presumably) makes an indepnedent decission on how much their profit margins need to be each company (presumably) will come to a different decission. Together with the fact that customers tend to buy from the lowest cost re-seller (the one with the smallest margins) the prices will differ a lot.

Some things that are driving the differences in the prices in Kobos are:

1) The finiacial positions of the re-sellers: gvien the fact that one of the subcompanies of Borders Book Group has declared chapter 11 the company doesn't have the ability to widen its profit margins as much unless chapter 11 officals are going to pay a lot more atention to the company's balance sheets. Kobo by comparison has not declared chapter 11 and instead is a one product company and therefore needs to and has the ability to widen its profits more then borders can.

2) Prominance of the company: Some companies are more visiable to the consumer than others and therefore can not widen profit margins as much as they would like to because customers will simply take their business elsewhere. Borders is a much better known company then Kobo is, how many times do you tell friends that you bought this book at Kobo (you will get funny looks) - probably not you are more likely to tell that you bought it from Borders. If borders raises its margins too far its more likely for customers to abandon them in favor of Amazon or Barns and Nobles while Kobo can raise margins becuase they are not as well known and customers that have decided to buy a Kobo are not as likely to take business elsewhere, such as Amazon or Barns and Nobles.

3) Nature of the product - A electronic reader is not the sort of thing that you buy every week or so, perhaps once a year if you are not lucky. So since Kobo's business is the electronic reader customers will put up with more price hikes since they buy the product less frequently. Borders main business is books which tend to be bought more frequently and prices are more visable. So borders needs to keep margins slim.

All this means that Borders needs to keep profit margins slimer then Kobo and you the customer are more likely to get a better price with them then Kobo. However, before you buy I would recommend that you query several price engines to get the best price such as nextag.com, mysimon.com and shopping.google.com.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Thanks everyone for the information.
I assume the "kePub" is what I would get if I bought from Kobo.
Right now I just plan to use it for library books (already have a Kindle),
but who knows in the future?!

I have read (a post above and other places) that the Kobo desktop is very problematic. My Kobo is working just fine downloading from the library, maybe I shouldn't tempt fate and get into the desktop app (or the Borders one). I really just got it for the library anyway (have a Kindle for purchases, easy on Amazon). I thought I would need a desktop app to delete books from the Kobo, but found out how to do it (one by one unfortunately) from the device.

Last edited by ReneAZ; 03-16-2011 at 10:59 AM.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote