Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #21526
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Woman has baby. That's never happened before.
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #21527
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I think it's great too. Why -- who is preggers? I'd better go read the entertainment news.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #21528
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
We never have learned where Norton hides his stuffed toys. He knows, though. When ever people come to visit, he'll come running in with one to greet them and invite them to play.
Oh, we know where Peanut hides hers! On our bed... ON MY SIDE!!!

Spoiler:
I guess she just loves me more,
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #21529
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
and here I am smiling from ear to ear. I think it is great.
Me too, I just love those tiny babies
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #21530
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The saga continues........

Yesterday decided to dispense with the 'intermediate' trails and go directly to the "very difficult" one......Ford Canyon......Hey, people walk it all time, what could be so difficult?

Gorgeous weather, not many people out, except at the very first, then I was wondering why they all disappeared......trail was fine, rocky and had to watch your step but not a biggie........for the first 3 1/2 miles....then there was a sign.....

"Hikers use caution, hazardous travel conditions beyond this point"

Didn't look dangerous to me.... Stopped to rest, drink a bit, and enjoy the scenery.

Proceeding slowly, I started to get just a bit concerned when the trail started getting a bit steeper, the footing looser, and the rocks bigger.....then came to the point where there are cliffs to one side, and sharp drops to the other.

The rocks in the path got bigger, the footing got looser, the drops got sharper and the freaking path got narrower!!!

And I realized I have a horror of heights.....must have been about the time my balance started going, and my legs started shaking.

Finally came to a point where the path curved, was very very narrow, and there was a huge boulder sticking out into it, making it even narrower with a lovely drop into cholla........and immediately sat down with my back to the cliff.

I can't remember the last time I was so scared.....knew I couldn't go forward, looked back and didn't want to go that way either......so there I was.

Took out my cell phone, texted a dear friend, and told him the stiuation. He called, and talked my down out of my near panic... thats all I needed, really, I knew I'd get down eventually but at that point I had hit a wall. Hey, if nothing else, was looking out at a beautiful vista, the weather was nice, and it was early....no hurry.

I turned around, and made my way slowly down the 3/4 mile or so of that nasty path....some of it on my butt, because going down is way scarier than coming up! Finished the rest on my feet, and logged somewhere between 7-8 miles round trip.....not bad for an old lady.

Lessons learned?

No more Ford Canyon. Have met my match there. Nature wins.

OH, and the tennies that have worked so well on regular rocky paths suck on loose dirt/rock paths.....apparently I"ve worn the soles smooth..... Get some hiking boots.

Things to be grateful for? A friend who doesn't yell at you when you are scared and tells you that you shouldn't have been there in the first place...just talks until you are calm. Had no one been available, I would have calmed down eventually, he made it so much easier.

If you are reading this, you know who you are and I thank you again.
I lost a close friend a few months ago, Lester was an avid extreme hiker. He was a tour guide for many hiking groups here on O`ahu, and a figure with the local hiking community.

Les fell off a mountain! He died doing what he loved, but he's still dead.

You be careful lady!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #21531
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Me too, I just love those tiny babies
They are a wonderful gift, she says as she snuggles a sleeping five month old.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #21532
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
You be careful lady![/QUOTE]

I can only 'ditto' that sentiment!

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #21533
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Glad that it turned out well. REI has a great collection of hiking boots. If you are a member (one time fee of $15 and then buy a pack of gum once a year) you can return anything you buy from them for a full refund, even if it is used. Which gives you great freedom in trying new boots and the like.

They also sell head lamps, emergency blankets, water purifiiers, and all sorts of othe stuff silly people who care pester you about.
Without all the imput I've gotten from here, I'd be less brave....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Good for you that you managed to come down alone, DG you're a hero.
Yes, and good hiking boots is a must. i wear them all the time when I go walking.
I am wary of heights myself.......
Far from hero. Just stubborn......and just enough sense to know when to back off....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I lost a close friend a few months ago, Lester was an avid extreme hiker. He was a tour guide for many hiking groups here on O`ahu, and a figure with the local hiking community.

Les fell off a mountain! He died doing what he loved, but he's still dead.

You be careful lady!
I'm sorry for your loss, Wodin. It can happen so easily even for experienced hikers. Yes, I'll be careful. Thank you..
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #21534
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
My cat is a juvenile delinquent! She's a thief! And we can't find her stash!

It started with pens from the kitchen table.
Then my ear buds from my Kindle Fire.
Then her own collar.
Now several small "stocking stuffer" gifts have vanished!
And another pen!

Threatening her with legal action makes her fall asleep!

Sigh .....
Strider has been a jewlery thief from day one! AND! he's dissappeared some expensive stuff! guess who just got an armoire for xmas!

Quote:
Without all the imput I've gotten from here, I'd be less brave....

Far from hero. Just stubborn......and just enough sense to know when to back off....

I'm sorry for your loss, Wodin. It can happen so easily even for experienced hikers. Yes, I'll be careful. Thank you..
and tell someone where you are going?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #21535
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition

Why do spiders feel the need to bungee/spider silk jump right in front of my face? Usually they aren't even big spiders (tonight a small daddy-long-legs) but it always gives me a near heart attack. Tonight the DLL was out of luck, I was holding a just made cup of tea and in a reflex I caught the spider in it. Normally I try to catch them in a glass (with a book or magazine on top) and throw it out of the window, when they're not directly over or near my bed I might even let them be (DLLs not big bodied spider, they move around too much). Flushed the tea in the toilet and got a clean mug to make another nice, claming cup of tea.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #21536
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Partly your fault. You throw them out instead of killing them. They survive and return.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #21537
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
The saga continues........
..........snip..............

I turned around, and made my way slowly down the 3/4 mile or so of that nasty path....some of it on my butt, because going down is way scarier than coming up! Finished the rest on my feet, and logged somewhere between 7-8 miles round trip.....not bad for an old lady.
You did the right thing. Both in trying a more difficult trail, and in realizing that when it got too difficult, it was time to turn around.

Quote:
No more Ford Canyon. Have met my match there. Nature wins.
May I suggest an alternative? Instead of giving it up completely, if you can, find someone you trust who is experienced with that trail, and try again together. Often, having someone who knows how to handle the tricky parts is all that's needed to teach you, and help you expand your abilities safely.

Quote:
OH, and the tennies that have worked so well on regular rocky paths suck on loose dirt/rock paths.....apparently I"ve worn the soles smooth..... Get some hiking boots.
Uh... yeah. There is a reason folks wear 'em. You'll find your footing MUCH easier with good boots. And it's not necessary to stop and get your balance with EVERY step... Some of the steps are pass-throughs... You step and go to the next balance point. Yes, you are off balance for one or two steps, but relying upon the stiffness of the hiking boot soles to keep you moving in the right direction. Try this on some relatively easy trails that have some rough footing and you'll see just what I mean.

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your new found freedoms!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #21538
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Talking

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

Why do spiders feel the need to bungee/spider silk jump right in front of my face? Usually they aren't even big spiders (tonight a small daddy-long-legs) but it always gives me a near heart attack. Tonight the DLL was out of luck, I was holding a just made cup of tea and in a reflex I caught the spider in it. Normally I try to catch them in a glass (with a book or magazine on top) and throw it out of the window, when they're not directly over or near my bed I might even let them be (DLLs not big bodied spider, they move around too much). Flushed the tea in the toilet and got a clean mug to make another nice, claming cup of tea.

I've had one of these for years and it's great for all except the really big spiders we get down here. For them you need a broom and a garbage bin.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #21539
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Uh... yeah. There is a reason folks wear 'em. You'll find your footing MUCH easier with good boots. And it's not necessary to stop and get your balance with EVERY step... Some of the steps are pass-throughs... You step and go to the next balance point. Yes, you are off balance for one or two steps, but relying upon the stiffness of the hiking boot soles to keep you moving in the right direction. Try this on some relatively easy trails that have some rough footing and you'll see just what I mean.

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your new found freedoms!

Stitchawl
Hiking poles are another nice advantage on really crappy trails. Having a third and fourth point of balance instead of just your feet makes life much easier. Especially when going back down a rough trail.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #21540
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I've had one of these for years and it's great for all except the really big spiders we get down here. For them you need a broom and a garbage bin.
I've seen those in many UK catalogues but in the Netherlands I can't find them. Luckily the ceiling in my bedroom is so low that I can easily touch it when standing and a glass/cup and magazine work great for a spider/moth catcher.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness