Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
PW vs Non-PW daylight comparison?

Hi

My PW will be delivered january, so I have to wait to compare myself.

Anybody who compared it under daylight condition?
All reviews on youtube are indoors.

How the fonts look if viewed from slight angle?

Did the two additional layers are visible?

thanks

oldbook
oldbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbook View Post
Hi

My PW will be delivered january, so I have to wait to compare myself.

Anybody who compared it under daylight condition?
All reviews on youtube are indoors.

How the fonts look if viewed from slight angle?

Did the two additional layers are visible?

thanks

oldbook
in daylight in terms of contrast the pw and k3 look very similar to me, although the pw definitely has sharper text because its resolution is higher. there's very little to tell them apart. i can usually turn my light right down to single digits in bright daylight as the screen gains no benefit from the light in those conditions.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I have compared mine to my Kindle Touch outside a few times. The fonts look a little better on the PW, mainly only when they're at a smaller size. Font looks fine when viewed from an angle. Oddly, outside under these circumstances, my Kindle Touch has a whiter background page than my PW, quite noticeable so. (This is with my PW light on high)
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I've not had any issues with the PW outside in the sun. I've been pleasantly surprised at how it looks in direct sunlight. I expected it to be somewhat bothersome, what with the lighting, but it looks almost as good as some of my non-lit readers.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anybody know any image or vid that is showing this brightness difference under bright daylight?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbook View Post
Does anybody know any image or vid that is showing this brightness difference under bright daylight?
I don't know of any, no. I'd take one but it's really cold outside here today. To be clear, the PW looks great in the sun, no issues at all. I was just saying the background of my PW (with the light on high or off) is more gray than the background of my Kindle Touch - outside in the sun, only. Inside ,with the light on, the background is whiter on my PW then. The grayer background outside doesn't bother me at all, I was just surprised my Kindle Touch has a whiter background under those circumstances.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I do not see the additional layers. It's very good in direct sunlight, though the contrast on the new basic kindle (K4B) is a bit better in bright daylight.

I googled kindle paperwhite beach and found this review, with a picture in bright sunlight. There is a 5 picture slideshow at the bottom of the article.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
I got mine last week and I'm still waiting for the #$(@&ing daylight to take the pictures...

(I'd like the opportunity to hang the wash too, while I'm at it.)
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I do not see the additional layers. It's very good in direct sunlight, though the contrast on the new basic kindle (K4B) is a bit better in bright daylight.
It's quite a bit better on my touch too. Maybe I have a really good touch, I'm not sure.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Snorkledorf
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are side-by-side shots of my Paperwhite and Kindle 3 in overcast daylight lighting, with the PW backlight at 0, 12, and 24 (full brightness). Subjectively I'd say that the third image is the most accurate to what it actually feels like.

Even with the backlight at its minimum setting, compared to the K3 the background of my PW is noticeably lighter, and the blacks a bit crisper, though I don't know how well the pictures show that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light-0.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	97002   Click image for larger version

Name:	light-12.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	97003   Click image for larger version

Name:	light-24.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	97004  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
oldbook
Enthusiast

Thank you very much !!!

Thats great. Very helpful images! The only ones, so far, worldwide.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Here is a picture taken on a sunny day by the window inside with the light on the lowest setting. It looks better in person, though.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Snorkledorf

Here are some more, outside in full daylight. Plus bonus pics of the purple cover!

I took the side-by-side picture with the backlight set to 0 and 24, but in sunlight they looked absolutely identical. So this is just the 0 picture.

The mild graininess in the lower grey block on the PW is accurate, not an artifact of the photo. I tried paging back and forth a few times to fully refresh the screen but that just changed the graininess without clearing it up.

The smudge on the upper-right corner is exactly what it looks like: dirt. The perils of setting your Kindle down outside...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K3-and-PW-sunlight.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	97211   Click image for larger version

Name:	PW-open-sunlight.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	97212   Click image for larger version

Name:	PW-closed-sunlight.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	97213   Click image for larger version

Name:	PW-clasp-sunlight.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	97214  

Last edited by Snorkledorf; 12-03-2012 at 10:21 PM.