Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur
ereaderundecided began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question to all Kindle Users

If have a non-DRM epub (which I did not purchase via Amazon - obviously ) and convert this to a mobi file via Calibe, can I still use the X-Ray feature, Instant Translations etc. on the Kindle? Or does this only work with the Amazon file format?
ereaderundecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

No one?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderundecided View Post
No one?
I believe the book file has to go thru amazon. Those features are added I guess when they are downloaded to the kindle.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
If you have a kindle, you could try it. That is usually what people did in the dark ages before there was an ubiquitous internet.

EDIT: I see somebody DID answer it while I was replying. Thanks DustyDisks.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

So you guys are saying that only the Amazon format will be supported? From a business perspective it would more since to limit these features to the Amazon format so people are locked in and only by from Amazon in Amazon format and buy the Kindle. But it would be interesting to see if anybody has actually tried this.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Something you can try, is email your book to yourself at your amazon acct. Then down load it from there and see if the features are added to your book.

If you do so , please make a full report!

Not a problem Geekmaster!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hell, I can't even use X-Ray on my Kindle device with Amazon content.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't know about Instant Translations. The only way you can get X-Ray features that I'm aware of is if the author enabled that feature when submitting the book. Not all books that qualify for X-Ray have it. If X-Ray is enabled, then that will be noted on the Amazon web page for that book. X-Ray does not just magically appear, it has to be enabled and I think the author/publisher has to do some stuff before it will function.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I'm curious to know this as well. I'm reading Game of Thrones right now on my PRS-505 and X-Ray would be really nice for the 500 characters when my PW arives but I'd hate to repurchase the book just for that feature.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
X-Ray basically is an extra file that needs to be downloaded to the device. It is downloaded once you purchase a book through Amazon - and it is available only on some books (the Amazon page clearly indicates which).

At times, you can find the same ebook in different editions in Amazon - some with X-Ray and some without. For example, I downloaded a copy of Pride and Prejudice without x-ray a while ago - when I realized I went to look for one with x-ray.

So, the short answer is no - you can't have x-ray for non-amazon content.

But... there is a but... you can actually 'fool' your kindle to download an x-ray file. Now, I don't know much about it... there was a thread on these forums a while ago. It basically comes down to changing some 'book identifier' on the kindle - so it thinks you have the Amazon version. I have not tried it, but I have seen threads about it.

Also, I have seen threads here about creating your own x-ray content. Again, I did not look into it.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote