Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #376
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Every time I see one of these threads I always wonder if they've ever been a part of a Prime scam. Where one account buys prime and links it with 4 other non-household members to split the cost.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #377
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
I don't know the whole story in this case, but have heard other horror stories where amazon has locked out accounts. I have purchased hundreds of dollars worth of kindle books, and each one is ridded of it's drm on purchase. I have my calibre library backed up to an external harddrive, a thumbdrive and Sugarsync. No way am I going to let amazon bully me out of e merchandise that I've purchased.
On a side note, I had an issue with itunes where it locked me out after I updated itunes on my computer and changed my address as I had recently moved. I couldn't get a hold of anyone and had to email itunes support. Not a pleasant experience, and another reason why I no longer purchase music or movies from them. I use itunes as a music organizer and for the apps for my ipad and that is about it. I also didn't have access to my app updates as well when this was being cleared up. Over all, lesson learned don't trust these companies, and if you value what you purchase from them, back it up.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #378
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Define retailer. The CEO of the company? The manager of the store? or some minimum wage peon on the sales floor? [no offence, I'm just a peon where I work too. I don't make the rules.] There IS a big difference. CEO's & even store managers can't control what individual employees say or don't say at all times to all customers. I strongly doubt the store manager would say sure, bring it home, play with it for 2 weeks & bring it back if you don't like it. He/she knows darn well how much of a loss they're incurring. The peon on the floor wouldn't.
For years I worked for a small mail order company that sold a variety of personal care products. The statement in bold above was exactly our policy when we had a customer (or potential customer) who couldn't decide between two similar products...and yes, the manager and even the CEO/owner were well aware of it - the instructions came straight from the top. This was several years ago and I don't have any hard numbers to back it up, but I firmly believe (as did the CEO) that the number of loyal customers we gained who might not have ordered at all without this policy more than made up for the returns generated by it.

Last edited by KarenH; 02-29-2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #379
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
For years I worked for a small mail order company that sold a variety of personal care products. The statement in bold above was exactly our policy when we had a customer (or potential customer) who couldn't decide between two similar products...and yes, the manager and even the CEO/owner were well aware of it - the instructions came straight from the top. This was several years ago and I don't have any hard numbers to back it up, but I firmly believe (as did the CEO) that the number of loyal customers we gained who might not have ordered at all without this policy more than made up for the returns generated by it.
Karen,

Who took the hit on the returns? Your company, or the manufacturers of the products?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #380
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Karen,

Who took the hit on the returns? Your company, or the manufacturers of the products?
Our company - we had 60 day unconditional money back guarantees on all of our products. The only products we could return to our suppliers for refund were defective/damaged - and as far as damaged merchandise was concerned, they would only accept it back if the product hadn't been send to the customer (so the supplier knew the damage didn't happen after leaving our office).

I will admit that our case was different from a retailer selling electronics or other larger ticket items, because many of our products were things that needed to be replaced somewhat regularly, so the idea was to generate continuing customers. That policy, however, existed for all of our products. My boss was a firm believer in Amazon's style of customer service long before Amazon existed!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #381
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Depends on your profit margins. If you have a 5% profit, that means one return in 19 items and you are starting to lose money. Much faster if those are high value items and shipping charges are involved. Amazon does calculate with very small margins, and they do allow people to return things. They just limit the number of allowed returns. Overall a sensible policy, I am sure it makes sense for them, even if they do upset a few customers here and there, they know they come out ahead in the end. That is what their statistics tell them.

Last edited by HansTWN; 02-29-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #382
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Quote:
a variety of personal care products.
I'm not going to say where my mind went on this except "EW!" on returns.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #383
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I think that if an account is closed because of a high count of returns, purchased content shouldn't be taken away.
Company has the right to choose their customers but it has no right to take away things you bought - it's plain stealing. It's the same as buying a lot of electronics from one store, returning one too many and when having the company come to your home and take away everything you bought without any compensation. Seriously?

It's all nice for the big companies to be able to sell licenses and not actual content. In a way it does make it renting music/books - even if you don't have to pay constantly for the same product. The product can be taken away from you for a number of reasons, you DON'T own it. You own it if you do some additional actions, like stripping DRM and saving a copy or whatever. I never did that since I never bought book with DRM.

So people who have no idea about DRM and similar are in worse position since they don't know they should back up their content (and apparently firstly you have to do an illegal action of removing DRM - not sure in which countries it's legal and not) and how to do that.

And you should be informed on what terms you have broken. So you'd be able to defend yourself in case it is incorrect. Some mistake or something - it does happen, everyone can make a mistake. Now how can you be sure what you haven't done anything wrong when you don't even know what that wrong is? It's like not passing the exam and being told by your teacher you did something wrong - how will you learn if you aren't told what was wrong exactly. Or being arrested and told you did something illegal. People have the right to know why their rights, their possessions... were taken away.

As for returns for products you just didn't like. In my country law allows you to return it in 7 (I think) days if you bought on Internet because the product in a picture can look completely different than in real life and customer is a weaker side since seller always knows more, so legal system protects the weaker side. It is very important in new markets. I can assure you that without this guarantee I wouldn't buy some of the products (mostly unknown) and others in my country wouldn't because Internet stores are quite new here and people rather go to normal store and talk with a sales person, look at all products... People prefer to actually see the product/test when possible/etc. Even lower price might not entice.

As for returns being bad for company it has two sides. Sure it adds extra costs, but it add more clients. You sell more if people aren't afraid to buy. You see a product and you aren't sure if you will enjoy it, but if you know that you can return if you don't - you will buy it. And the chance that you will return is lower than you keeping it. Sometimes even if you aren't completely satisfied - you might not bother with the procedure.

Although buying a few similar products with an intention to return all except one is a little extreme especially if it will be impossible to put returned items on stock even on lower price. But company can still benefit by getting a new client. Unless that client constantly does that but I doubt anyone constantly buys a bunch of stuff with intention to keep only one. That is abuse.

Sorry for poor English
Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #384
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Yeah..returns spike right after prom night....weird.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #385
KarenH
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post

Fortunately for the people processing the returns, our items were much less "EW!" inspiring than what first pops to mind - things like knee and ankle braces and other mobility related aimed mostly at senior citizens, among other things.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #386
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD
There is no legit reason to return an open item other than defective.
Most people don't want to return things. It is a nuisance to repackage, mail etc.
Defective is a good reason, as is wrong size, wrong item shipped, item not as advertised, or it is just not suitable.

Perhaps it is bought as a gift and the recipient does not want it or has two already. (I never buy books as a gift because they might already own or have read it, or have mentioned it to five other people, so if they want a book, I give a certificate)

If you buy something because you are pretty sure that you want it, or even to see if you want it with a reasonable expectation to purchase it you should be able to return it if it is not satisfactory. You can in most B&M stores and you can usually see/try items there.

Helen
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #387
jrw93
Enthusiast
jrw93 will become famous soon enoughjrw93 will become famous soon enoughjrw93 will become famous soon enoughjrw93 will become famous soon enoughjrw93 will become famous soon enoughjrw93 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Nook Touch
HOLY CRAP GUYS IT FREAKING WORKED! YES YES YES!!!!!! **UPDATE**

Thank you all for your help. My account just got reinstated after about a week or so of e-mailing back and forth from Amazon's customer representatives.

Here is the e-mail I got:

Hello Jack,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the closure of your account. We’ve closely examined your order history and made the decision to reinstate your account. You will have access to all of your digital content and will be able to register your Kindle Fire as well. If you have any problems accessing it, please let me know and I’d be glad to assist.

I'm truly sorry for the frustration caused here, as well as for the delay in being able to access your account. When unusual account activity such as this comes to our attention, we'll evaluate each account on a case-by-case basis to determine if additional action or closing of the account is necessary. We’d prefer to work with you to avoid the high number of returns because we do value your business.

Jack, thanks again for taking the time to bring this to our attention. Please feel free to contact me by replying directly to this message if there's something else I can help with.

Regards,

Allissa Bratager
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!! THANK YOU MOBILEREAD AND THE CONSUMERIST!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #388
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote: ... We’d prefer to work with you to avoid the high number of returns because we do value your business....

And you continued to post that you had no idea why Amazon had taken action? Yeah, right.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #389
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw93 View Post
HOLY CRAP GUYS IT FREAKING WORKED! YES YES YES!!!!!! **UPDATE**

Thank you all for your help. My account just got reinstated after about a week or so of e-mailing back and forth from Amazon's customer representatives.

Here is the e-mail I got:

Hello Jack,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the closure of your account. We’ve closely examined your order history and made the decision to reinstate your account. You will have access to all of your digital content and will be able to register your Kindle Fire as well. If you have any problems accessing it, please let me know and I’d be glad to assist.

I'm truly sorry for the frustration caused here, as well as for the delay in being able to access your account. When unusual account activity such as this comes to our attention, we'll evaluate each account on a case-by-case basis to determine if additional action or closing of the account is necessary. We’d prefer to work with you to avoid the high number of returns because we do value your business.

Jack, thanks again for taking the time to bring this to our attention. Please feel free to contact me by replying directly to this message if there's something else I can help with.

Regards,

Allissa Bratager
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!! THANK YOU MOBILEREAD AND THE CONSUMERIST!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So there it is, finally. You've returned far too many items & they booted you out. Yay Amazon. I only wish eBay would follow their lead & boot stupid buyers who complain & nitpick over insignificant minutia. ie it's not the same shade of blue that it appeared to be on my computer monitor or I said I was gonna pay you, why can't you wait 3 weeks??? and other such nonsense. ffft!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #390
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
I think that if an account is closed because of a high count of returns, purchased content shouldn't be taken away.
It does seem like a poor system.

It should be trivial for Amazon to be able to put an account into a state where it can no longer be used to place new orders, but where the customer can still view the account and the content stored within it.

This would still protect them from abuse of their return policies and would mean that people could still access purchased content.
Closed Thread