Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #541
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Thumbs up Progress in 2.0.5 - we appreciate it!

Hey, easy on the mocking there. Sure, the calculator isn't important (we already had two working calculators), but the improvements on that are real - the widget now works as a calculator and the app is a proper scientific calculator, including base conversion and bitwise operators.

Much more importantly, the notes function is really fixed - no need for the scribble hack, and we can put text notes as well. It lacks the fast updates of the scribble app, so still work in progress, but at last it's there. Another nice thing would be a highlighter visible in the book itself.

Some real annoying bugs were also fixed, like the lack of button controls for TTS (please add language selection too) and hang on page change with dictionary. The new keyboard also allows button entry, which the old keyboard on my 903 did not.

I'm the first to admit there's still lots to do (stop erasing games/, fix zoom to page width, allow stylus selection of zoom, etc) but this is a decent update.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #542
cipri
Banned
cipri is on a distinguished road

Device: PB 903
This Update is fully inacceptable. The improvements are minor (since i'm a programmer i can estimate how less they did). It's inacceptable that after a few month, the software was nearly not improved, even more, some things (like the pdfviewer) have been broken.
A whol big company like pocketbook which doesn't produce the hardware, who developes just the software produces in 3 or 4 month such an update of low quality.
How can somebody be happy with it???
I say clearly, i don't apprecitate it! So please don't speak in my name when you say that you appreciate it.
No, it's simply not acceptable. I have payed for a "pro" device, and instead i got a device with alpha-quality software, and I was promised by pocketbook, that they will improve it, so that I really have a "pro" device. Instead we get such a minor update after 4 month!!
cipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #543
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Not that I disagree completely but the end of January (around the 24th) and the beginning of March are about a month and change apart and even if you take it from December its still around 3 months.

What i wish they would do is set themselves a monthly or bi-monthly roll-out schedule for updates/bug-fixes that will include gathering info, setting goals, testing and release.

That should at least keep updates coming regularly and allow for feedback and handling of various regressions overlooked in new updates.

And while they are at it, why not put someone in PR in-charge of goading nagging and prodding the various pocketbook sites webmasters into updating them, also fully translating those websites who support more then one language or are suppose to.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #544
Guus
Enthusiast
Guus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad 3G 64GB, iriver Story HD, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipri View Post
This Update is fully inacceptable. ............................No, it's simply not acceptable. I have payed for a "pro" device, and instead i got a device with alpha-quality software, and I was promised by pocketbook, that they will improve it, so that I really have a "pro" device. Instead we get such a minor update after 4 month!!
PB does not perform as a professional provider of ereader devices.
Like PB302, only promises, promises, promises.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=498
The promised improved firmware is still not availabel

Last edited by Guus; 03-17-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #545
Microcox
Microcox began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTech View Post
allow stylus selection of zoom, etc) but this is a decent update.
Actually stylus selection of zoom is avalaible on my PB 903 (2.0.5 20110312). Just slide your stylus on the right side of the page (just against the screen border) on 2-5cm and it will change the zoom. It works quite randomly (sometimes it adds a bookmark instead of zooming) but it's there.
Again, a user manual provided by a serious company would have clearly explained such functionalities!

Also, i only think it would have been a decent update for amateur programmers. Three months of work by a programmer team (at least two people, since they are called the "guys from Kiev") that have access to the sdk, to produce this... Also, remember the price of your device. And think about the functionnalities you would have with an old generation android device...
Microcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #546
cipri
Banned
cipri is on a distinguished road

Device: PB 903
Yes, in some programs it's like this: you move the stylus and then the zoom changes to the next step. This solution is just poor. You can not freely zoom how you like.
Look here, how zoom and pan should work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppi3NDIOswk

Even more, you can not navigate the whole pdf-file after you zoom it !! Some parts of the file can not be reached. Not enought that the solution of pb related to zooming is poor, it even doesn't work correctly, since you can not zoom and then navigate to all parts!

This kind of stuff is not hard to implement. How can somebody accpet, that they don't fix such big and horrible bugs? I really need the pdf-zooming, and I waited for month for this update, and still it is not solved.

Shame on you pocketbook.
cipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #547
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

I think you (and they) may be overestimating their capacity a bit. Sadly, that's only encouraged by their PR and pricing. You may be right on the ball with two guys, and the coding is kludgy. But I do like the fact that they do update. Simply put, I don't have the energy to spend making the whole thing (Open Inkpot would be the starting point, but this device is irrationally locked down so would need a jailbreak first). Review has done a good job pointing out and implementing tweaks that GiK somehow missed. PB are showing a sad display of trying to cover a lot of ground with no resources and little structure; made all the worse because a few simple steps, like really publishing the sources and SDK, would let more skilled and energetic people like Review help that much more.
BTW, I am a programmer as well, and I have looked at adding selection zoom to pdfviewer; the code is just so unstructured that it's a bit hard. I got it changing sizes but the panning was screwy, and there was no function implemented for small or arbitrary pans. Which is precisely where the control scheme messes up, when there's no way to trim a top margin, nor shift left or right until very high zooms.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #548
m2heikamp
m2heikamp began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
I noticed that as off today the support-page for the PB302 is gone and so is the link to the firmware version 15.2. Does this mean that Pocketbook has now totally abandoned the PB302? Including the promised firmware update with oh so many wonderfull things like they promised?
m2heikamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #549
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
On the Russian forum, Housekkeper's message dated Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:53 pm states the new firmware should be coming within the next one a a half week. Here there are some screenshots of the new library layout (though I do not understand Russian, and can only guess).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #550
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
On the Russian forum, Housekkeper's message dated Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:53 pm states the new firmware should be coming within the next one a a half week. Here there are some screenshots of the new library layout (though I do not understand Russian, and can only guess).
http://translate.google.com is your friend .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #551
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
thanks Harry, i was unclear - I did use it, but unfortunately it won't translates screenshots (I was only referring to those).
Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #552
paola
Wizard

ohwell, looks like 2.0.6 will be up later today - but without the bookshelf, if I understood it right - or maybe it's an April's fool
Old 04-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #553
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
This thread is like a big tease, drawing me in every time, but always leaving me disappointed.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #554
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
This thread is like a big tease, drawing me in every time, but always leaving me disappointed.
looks like may message may not have come across as intended - the PB representative sounded quite serious, and users on the Russian forum sound quite upset, I really did not think it would be some kind of (bad) joke.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #555
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I wasn't speaking specifically...just that there's still no sign of any new firmware for the 302....

Is the one of which you speak for the 302? Or just the newer models.

I've lost track, now, of the number of firmware for the 302 I should even be looking for.... I thought 15.3 was next for it....but that was, after all, aeons ago!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote