Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #346
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Due to personal issues, I will be unable to meet my goal for 2017. I got too far behind.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #347
Loves2Read4Fun
Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I am on target to finish 31 books this year... 1 more than my goal! Although I wanted to read 5 classics this year, I will end up with 3. I did read some new authors that I hadn't heard of previously. Some of whom I will read again.

I am amazed by the number of books that people have read. 60, 75 and more than 100. Wow! Regardless of the number of books read and whether everyone reached their goal or not, I say "Good Job" to all of us for just making time to read! Looking forward to 2018 and all the books waiting to be read.
Advert
Old 12-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #348
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've surpassed my main challenge (75 books), but for the first time since participating in yearly challenges, I'm not going to make my 40 categories target. I've managed to cross off 36 of them (I only allow a book to be used once, otherwise I might have managed it) and am probably going to end the year in the same position.

I also didn't manage to achieve the Goodreads "All Your Books Are Belong To Us" challenge, but then I knew I was never going to do that, with books on American/Canadian sport for example (I don't even like books on British sport). For this one I just wanted to see how high I could score, and should end up achieving about 200 out of the potential 300 points, putting me in third place .
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #349
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I don't set up challenges of my own, but it is interesting to read everyone else's challenges (and their progress.)

This year, I did accomplish a couple of things that I have been working on for a while. One, is that I have read nearly all of the books that I purchased from the now-closed Discover a New Love store. (I have two books, a complete series, to finish.) I can not say the same thing for my purchases from Fictionwise, Books on Board, or Sony.

Two, I have finished all of the books that I purchased from Smashwords; although they are not a closed store, I have not been purchasing books at all except to complete series that I've started or because they appeared discounted in my BookBub list, where Smashwords is not represented. I have a couple of series that I follow and purchase from Smashwords, but I buy them when I'm ready to read them and finish them right away. I wish I could do that with all my stores!

While not really a challenge, next year I'm going to come up with a better solution for my Kobo and B&N books. I'm running out of books that I can download and read in my web browser! (I'm at a point where I've almost given up on purchasing books; there's no point to buying them if I can't download them to read. At the moment I'm limited to reading them in their respective apps, and I do most of my reading in my web browser -- reading through lunch -- and both have abandoned their web readers.)
Old 12-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #350
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
My tally so far for 2017 , is 49 books read. I hope to finish at least one or two more before 2018. I'll need to count how many were nonfiction, since that was my challenge. All in all I'm pleased with my first reading challenge, most of all remembering to add the books I've read to my list.
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #351
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have finished one of my goals and that was to finish all the books I purchased before 2010. Yay! So, I'm only 7 years behind. I know I will reach 100 books. I am currently listening to one and reading one and those two should put me over.

I completely failed my budget of $300. I will have to analyze where my problems are. Is it sales? Is it freebees? Most of my purchases are of course, audiobooks and I think I drastically cut back when many Whispersync went to $7 vs. $1.99. I haven't quite reached the point of cancelling my Asimov subscription, but if I don't read more this year, then that is the writing on the wall. Oh, well, more catchup.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #352
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
I only need 5 books more to achieve my 52 books challenge... hope I don't get too distracted on this end of year vacations
Old 12-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #353
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOG View Post
I only need 5 books more to achieve my 52 books challenge... hope I don't get too distracted on this end of year vacations
Me too, I'm up to 50 now. Next couple weeks are going to get hectic though. Good Luck to meeting your challenge as well.

Last edited by Wearever; 12-14-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #354
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
It's going to be close for me... not going to put in any late-night/early morning speed-reading just to make my quota, though.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #355
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It appears that the completion rate here is better than at GoodReads, so we have that going for us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	160689

Hope your challenge is going smoothly!
Old 12-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #356
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I reached 160 books today, my stretch goal for the year. Which I'd feel better about if the book that got me over the line were a better book. The 160th book was Andy Weir's Artemis and frankly, it was no better than 3 stars, and that's generous.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #357
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm at 163 books this year, which is past my stretch goal of 160, and indicates I've been reading a lot. This was helped by a bunch of really good Audible books, but mostly was helped by doing a lot of rereads this year. This not only allowed me to revisit some old friends, but also cut down on my overall costs, a significant concern. Overall, I'm pleased, though it would be good to cut down costs even more next year.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #358
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am at 113 books and 57 short stories for the year. Losing one's job does at least free up time for reading. I am pleased to see how many things I read that were either library books or things I already owned. It is my goal for that trend to continue next year.

I am trying to figure out if I can participate in the Buried Alive challenge and how to account for books that I have owned for an unknown number of years.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 12-21-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling >:|
Old 12-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #359
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I managed 30 books this year and may be able to finish one more. Low total for me, but stuff happens. Hopefully I'll do better next year with less buying.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:19 PM   #360
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I did badly at keeping up with recording what I read, on anything other than Goodreads. Do you all think I should give it a shot for 2018? I read about 25 books, (those were the ones I finished)
Closed Thread