Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Filo90
Filo90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Repetition page number

I've downloaded some epub books, converted in mobi with Calibre, imported on my paperwhite, everything good apart from the the page number counter, it count 1 page every 2 kindle pages, so it's like 1-1-2-2-3-3 etc....

any hints to solve this problem?
Filo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Page numbers are not a count of the number of screens of content in the book. For books that have them, and not all Kindle book do, they are meant to match the actual page numbers in one specific print edition of the same book.

Books sideloaded via calibre will typically have "fake" page numbers based on the number of characters on a typical printed page. Some people find this useful to judge the size of the book and how much they have read.

The number of characters that fit on the screen depends on your font, font size, line spacing and margins. Since a screen typically holds far less than a printed page, each page number will correspond to multiple screens of reading.

Short answer: That's just the way it works.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-27-2017 at 03:57 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
What jhowell said. But you might want to browse the Calibre subforum or post a question there. Something makes me think you can adjust this since you're putting the books thru Calibre anyway and at least get closer to what you want.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Just to second jhowell, I think you need to file this under the 'Why is the icon on the Save button a floppy disk?' category. The epub format uses an imperfect analogous word to denote location in a book. This can be confusing if the analogy is pushed.

Interesting design choice that the Kindle puts aside the idea of a page and simply uses Location instead. A new unit for a new platform.

The page numbering behaviour you described is exactly how epubs on my Sony Reader have always worked. It's not a bug.

Last edited by rjcroy; 01-27-2017 at 07:40 PM.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo90 View Post
I've downloaded some epub books, converted in mobi with Calibre, imported on my paperwhite, everything good apart from the the page number counter, it count 1 page every 2 kindle pages, so it's like 1-1-2-2-3-3 etc....

any hints to solve this problem?
You can create a custom colum to put in a page number and you can configure Calibre to generate the page numbers for the KF8 eBook when you send it to your Kindle. That might or might not work better for you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
Filo90

ok, I always use same font size, margic etc to read books, I've customized the count pages plugin to 966 characters each page (that's what I have on kindle with my configs), now I just need to create a custom method to count each page every 966 characters (like a modified "fast" method in device config) and put it in the "Custom column name to retrieve calculation method from"....

How can I create this custom column with the formula as said before?
Old 01-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
You could install and use "Count Pages" plugin which already has "chars per page" algoritm and stores the result in custom column.

Than you just need to configure Calibre's Kindle Device Interface plugin to use that custom column content when generating apnx file that contains page number data Kindle uses.

shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My Font is so large .. so I can see to read. 1 page = 3 flips. My son 1 page = 1 flip... to me his looks like Dots!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Filo90

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
You could install and use "Count Pages" plugin which already has "chars per page" algoritm and stores the result in custom column.

Than you just need to configure Calibre's Kindle Device Interface plugin to use that custom column content when generating apnx file that contains page number data Kindle uses.

that's what I've done and now it's quite good, but some times I still get page number repetition ( or page number gap, like 32-34), I think that's due to the calculation method, I tried accurate, fast and pagebrake but it's always the same, I should create a function that change page number every 966 character and put in Custom column name to retrieve calculation method from" (that's in the second picture you posted)......how can I do it?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My Font is so large .. so I can see to read. 1 page = 3 flips. My son 1 page = 1 flip... to me his looks like Dots!
Given that your font size is large, would you not be better with a screen bigger than 6"?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
Filo90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo90 View Post
that's what I've done and now it's quite good, but some times I still get page number repetition ( or page number gap, like 32-34), I think that's due to the calculation method, I tried accurate, fast and pagebrake but it's always the same, I should create a function that change page number every 966 character and put in Custom column name to retrieve calculation method from" (that's in the second picture you posted)......how can I do it?
anyone?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #12
PluralPunk
PluralPunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a slightly related problem. I'm reading a sideloaded book converted to azw3 from epub via Calibre. Several chapters in and the device still indicates I'm on page 1. When I click "Go to" and check chapters, they're all labeled "page 1". How do I fix this?
PluralPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluralPunk View Post
I have a slightly related problem. I'm reading a sideloaded book converted to azw3 from epub via Calibre. Several chapters in and the device still indicates I'm on page 1. When I click "Go to" and check chapters, they're all labeled "page 1". How do I fix this?
Are you using a Kobo Reader?

If you have a Kobo, do you send kepub to your Kobo? Do you have the settings set for page numbers per chapter?

This does sound like a Kobo/kepub behavior.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
PluralPunk
PluralPunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you using a Kobo Reader?

If you have a Kobo, do you send kepub to your Kobo? Do you have the settings set for page numbers per chapter?

This does sound like a Kobo/kepub behavior.
No, I read on Kindle Paperwhite, but the file was converted to azw3 from ePub.
PluralPunk is offline   Reply With Quote