Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
Question Sony PRS600 or Irex Digital Reader 800

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a ebook reader, and I'm considering between the Sony PRS600 or 900 and Irex Digital Reader 800 as well.

I'm living in Australia, so can not buy books directly from sony but can from other sources.

so normal touch screen vs WACOM
1024*600 vs 1024*768
8bit grayscale vs 16
more format supported vs less format supported
music supported vs no music

which one should i choose?

cheers
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I've been looking at those devices at september last year for my self. After testing the PRS-600 for a week, I've returned it and bought a second hand ILiad v2.

When I had the Sony Touch I've tried it in all sorts of places I might be reading and came to the conclusion that the reflections (of my face clothes, and more) were distracting me from the reading. Every minute movement of the device made me see those reflections. The best way to counter them I found was reading with a black shirt on -.-
So I returned it and decided that touch on top of the e-Ink was a no go for me. But having stylus input would still be nice.
Then I went to the Dutch Ebay equivalent and got me a ILiad, slightly used, but for the same price as the PRS-600. I've been happy ever since and after seeing the screen of the ILiad I finally get it why people are so fond of e-ink. (And I've got extra screenspace )

Since I tend to read alot a good screen was most important for me. The perfect device for me is still not available but for now I can live with the ILiad's flaws (those reflections were far more anoying).

Oh, yes. You wanted to know which one to choose. If I were you I'd go with a device with Wacom, so you wont be disappointed. So any Irex or the Onyx Boox.

Last edited by A4-; 01-31-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
Hi A4-

Thank you for your sharing
droople is offline   Reply With Quote