Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
e-Book Readers Bill of Rights - a little fun

I noticed that Edge Online published a "PC Gamers Bill of Rights".
http://www.edge-online.com/blogs/the-gamers-bill-rights

Can we come up with our own e-Book Reader Bill of Rights?

I'll steal Jon's.

1) All electronic books will be published in an open standard or will be made available in all proprietary formats. (No exclusive deals)
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I noticed that Edge Online published a "PC Gamers Bill of Rights".
http://www.edge-online.com/blogs/the-gamers-bill-rights

Can we come up with our own e-Book Reader Bill of Rights?

I'll steal Jon's.

1) All electronic books will be published in an open standard or will be made available in all proprietary formats. (No exclusive deals)
2) For free..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
2) All eBooks will be priced reasonably and fairly. No more double digit pricing. $8 when the book is a hardcover edition and $5 when it's paperback (no matter which format paperback).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I liked DG's #2 better but if we can't have hers then yours is a good second best.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
3) Unlimited right to copy the ebook to whichever device you are using at the time, instead of chaining you to only 2 locations.

DG, I got the Stephanie Plum novels, but can only read them on this work computer and at home. Couldn't even get it onto my reader. But you were right, they are a laugh riot!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
3) Unlimited right to copy the ebook to whichever device you are using at the time, instead of chaining you to only 2 locations.

DG, I got the Stephanie Plum novels, but can only read them on this work computer and at home. Couldn't even get it onto my reader. But you were right, they are a laugh riot!
As long as you can read them somewhere........I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at something. Really annoyed my husband in bed, cause I wouldn't stop reading to explain why I was laughing..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

In English....

3) No DRM
Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
4) The right to truthful advertising. If you choose to ignore #3 and corrupt a perfectly good e-book with DRM then the monetary transactions involved with the resultant artifact can only be referred to as a rental. The terms buy, sell or own will not be used. The rental costs associated with these poor burdened items will be no more then 10% of the cost of an e-book without the corruption.

5) If both #3 & #4 are ignored then we retain the right, nay duty, to remove the corruption and free the literary marvel to a long life of friendship and love.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
2) All eBooks will be priced reasonably and fairly. No more double digit pricing. $8 when the book is a hardcover edition and $5 when it's paperback (no matter which format paperback).
I'd be satisfied with simply: "Lower priced than the lowest priced paper version." Or perhaps "At least one dollar less than the cost of the lowest priced paper version."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
6) e-Books will be released on the same day as the print books, in all available formats (or open format/no DRM)

7) e-Books will contain all the data included in the print books (e.g., "back cover" book description, book cover, any front-page teasers, excerpts to the author's next books, etc.)

8) if author/publisher issues corrections/additions to the printed paperback, the e-Book will be corrected and made available to all prior "hardback" e-Book purchasers

edited (missed one):
9) publishers releasing e-Book that are part of a series must also release all prior books from that series in e-Book format at the same time

Last edited by FizzyWater; 08-29-2008 at 10:43 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'd be satisfied with simply: "Lower priced than the lowest priced paper version." Or perhaps "At least one dollar less than the cost of the lowest priced paper version."
That wont do at all. The publishers have this new format that's taller and narrower that has larger print so they can raise the price of what should be list piriced at $7.99. I do not want eBook prices to be based on this abomination at all.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Your criteria are different from mine. I suspect there are economic reasons driving the odd format books. I'm hoping ebooks will help to solve those problems, but I'm not counting on much discount beyond whatever they're charging for paper.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #13
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
6)
edited (missed one):
9) publishers releasing e-Book that are part of a series must also release all prior books from that series in e-Book format at the same time
I totally agree, I have all of the Jonathon Kellerman, Alex Delaware series, minus number three and I cannot find it in e-book version for lover or money, most annoying.

10) Australian authors and publishers shall publish e-book formats.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Your criteria are different from mine. I suspect there are economic reasons driving the odd format books. I'm hoping ebooks will help to solve those problems, but I'm not counting on much discount beyond whatever they're charging for paper.
I was at Costco yesterday and say these of these new books at a lit of $9.99. They are slightly taller then a proper paperback, more expensive, might not fit in your bookcase, and feel unnatural to hold in your hand to read. Basically, they are an abomination of pBooks. Plus, if eBooks are priced based on the pBook, we'll have higher priced eBooks too.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With rights go responsibilities too. I would therefore add:

I will not knowingly deprive any author or publishers of income by downloading a book that I have not bought a paper copy of, nor will I illegally download an eBook when there is a legal version available.

I will not give copies of my DRM-free eBooks to anybody, unless this is sanctioned by the author or publisher.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote