junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
"Improvement: reduced power consumption."

very vague term.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #77
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
T
Ho hum.....back to waiting for a REAL update that will provide some of the functionality we all wish for......for starters, how 'bout making the Delete button do SOMETHING?
Yes, like entering lookup mode for example!

And what about the thing with library books? It is fixed but they do not tell about it?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #78
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
The firmware update is a bit of a non event in my mind. Page turns on the Cybook seemed faster right after the update, but now that I've used it some, it doesn't seem any faster at all. I am sure this is purely a shift in my view of things......other than that, I see no real differences, good or bad, of this firmware update.
As others have mentioned, I'm seeing faster performance on lookups. Not seeing any change in page refresh speed, but I am seeing better responsiveness to the button. I am not missing pages on button press as I did occasionally with 538 - especially when moving backwards.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #79
DocGo
DocGo began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
I just downloaded and upgraded my Cybook gen3. Yes, the overall interface plus page refresh rate is much faster. However, it now has problems opening some pdf files (these are medical articles/journals in pdf format) that I used to be able to open with the older firmware. But, I decided that I will keep the Cybook as a leisure reading material and use my Asus EEEPC or my Macbook to read the medical pdfs.
DocGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #80
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Page turns and lookup are definitely faster for me -- I just read fiction on it (mostly mysteries), so I'm happy with it. (The other thing I'd really like to see is a folder menu.)
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2008, 02:20 AM   #81
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
The only thing I find worth mentioning in this update if buffering - but - it only works when you push button consequently.

For lookup that raises its usability and lowers its frustration factor noticeably .

But, but, but...

When you lookup and are dazzled by speed and then after reading couple of sentences push to turn the page... delay seems to last eternally

Cybook probably goes into sleep after every refresh if the event is not closely followed by another...

Just my 2p

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #82
DocGo
DocGo began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
But, but, but...

When you lookup and are dazzled by speed and then after reading couple of sentences push to turn the page... delay seems to last eternally

Cybook probably goes into sleep after every refresh if the event is not closely followed by another...

Just my 2p

DrS
I agree with you on this. it does seem to slow down if you let a page sit for a while before "turning the page". But I read fast and turn my page to the next fast enough that the 'slow down" is not noticeable to me.
DocGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #83
Boeboe
Boeboe began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
One of the new features is "new directory view". Not the zip or CBR format support I was hoping for yet, but that should be sufficient to easily read comics/mangas on the reader.

So I placed some jpg's in a separate folder and boot the bookeen. It reads them, but.....it just shows all the files together. No actual folder navigating, I might as well just put all the files in the root, just like I did before as an emergency solution .

Also, I have no clue what the "new interface features" are

*edit* ah, nevermind then

Last edited by Boeboe; 05-12-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Boeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeboe View Post
One of the new features is "new directory view". Not the zip or CBR format support I was hoping for yet, but that should be sufficient to easily read comics/mangas on the reader.

So I placed some jpg's in a separate folder and boot the bookeen. It reads them, but.....it just shows all the files together. No actual folder navigating, I might as well just put all the files in the root, just like I did before as an emergency solution .
No, read the description more carefully. "New directory view" is on the "What's next" list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #85
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeboe View Post

Also, I have no clue what the "new interface features" are

*edit* ah, nevermind then
Ah - but now you've got the files in a folder - you'll all be set up for the next firmware .

( I've got all my books in folders , mostly by author , makes it easier to locate volumes within series - though I've had to rename a few just so they do go in correct order )
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #86
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I just received Bookeen Newsletter 7, with the following text inside:

Quote:
New Cybook edition now available on www.bookeen.com
Bookeen is proud to announce the availability of the new edition of the Cybook Gen3 for sale directly on www.bookeen.com. This new edition offers three major improvements:

1. More internal memory: the Cybook internal memory reaches 512MB now. 480MB is available for storage which corresponds to an average 1,000 books storage capacity. It is the largest internal memory size for an eBook reader available on the market.
2. A new firmware: the device has been preloaded with the brand new firmware recently released by Bookeen. Offering more stability, a longer battery lifetime and a more reactive button interface (faster and buffered key detection). This new firmware is also available for all our customers and can be downloaded and installed. Please see below.
3. A revised housing: the navigation button offers a pleasant and soft hand feeling with a good tactile feedback which enhances definitely the digital reading experience.

This new edition remains at the same price in its standard and Deluxe versions. Please note that the Cybook Gen3 new edition is currently in stock and the average delay between order and shipment is 12 business days.
"This new edition is a real step forward for us. With this new version, the Cybook becomes the thinnest, lightest device with the largest storage capacity on the market." explains Laurent Picard, Bookeen co-founder. "Our goal is to provide the best experience to the eBook community and to maximize all the benefits of digital reading on ePaper : battery lifetime, storage capacity, legibility." adds Michael Dahan, Bookeen co-manager.
Cybook Gen3 Firmware Upgrade
The first Cybook Gen3 firmware upgrade (version 1.1) is now available. With this build several improvements have been released. Check www.bookeen.com/support to discover the features of this new firmware and how to download it.
"All the Cybook possessors can upgrade their devices with this new firmware. This upgrade is a first step to prepare new features which should be released very soon." commented Laurent Picard.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #87
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If it's in stock why the 12 days delay? It surely shouldn't take two weeks to process an order?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #88
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Before the software 'upgrade' I had very few page-turn misses .. Now it happens at least every other, maybe more like 3 out of 4 times .. it's getting frustrating but I'm hoping that it will eventually get ironed out!
This 'upgrade' really feels like something they threw together to stop us moaning about it and it's not really 'doing' anything ..
Ho hum .. wonder when the next 'upgrade' will be ?

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #89
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
While I am not exactly ecstatic over this new firmware, I think that the button buffer management actually might be better....if.....

....when pressing the page advance (or back) button, the button is held for more than just an instant I am finding that I have yet to get a missed page turn. This appears to be a different behavior than firmware 538, but more 'testing' is needed.

Has anyone else seen this?

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #90
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
While I am not exactly ecstatic over this new firmware, I think that the button buffer management actually might be better....if.....

....when pressing the page advance (or back) button, the button is held for more than just an instant I am finding that I have yet to get a missed page turn. This appears to be a different behavior than firmware 538, but more 'testing' is needed.

Has anyone else seen this?

-Jeff
No. What I am seeing happen is if I press "down" or "up" not quite correctly, I get a condition where the page moves to the "next" (down) or "previous" (up) page - and then jumps back to the page I just left. And then gets stuck doing that again and again - even though I then take care to press firmly. It gets frustrating.

I'm almost ready to go back to Build 538.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote