Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Looking for non-stereotype love stories

Alright, I admit it, I like love stories. But I don't like the stereotype romance novel. So, I'm looking for good love stories, but I'm having a hard time finding them.
Do you have any recommendations (preferably e-books, but paper books as well)? They don't need to be "pure" love stories, but it should be a main part of the book.

From the top of my head only a few books come to mind that I've read that would fit my search criteria:
Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife
Jodi Picoult - Salem Falls
Nicholson Baker - Vox
Terry Goodkind - Wizard's First Rule (I've stopped reading the series after Blood of the Fold, but Wizard's First Rule is great)
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Rudyard Kipling's short story, The Brushwood Boy, would fit well, I think. I don't even want to spoil it by describing any part of it. There are "e-text" versions of it all over. Out of copyright in the US, though I don't see it in PG unless it's in one of the omnibus files.

Q. Do you like Kipling?
A. I don't know - I've never kippled.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-26-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added unutterable silliness.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
You might also like the non-fiction book, Thunderstruck, by Erik Larson. It documents a murder, the development of radio, and yes, an unusual love story.

A Beautiful Mind, Sylvia Nasar, non-fiction. The "love story" isn't nearly as prevalent in the book as the movie.

Galileo's Daughter, Dava Sobel, non-fiction. Not a romantic love story, but it does document the relationship between the very public Galileo, and his very private (nun in an impoverished convent), but perhaps equally brilliant, daughter.

The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova. Again, not really a love story, but the strange but passionate relationship between two of the main characters, husband and wife, plays a pivotal role. Oh yeah, and Dracula.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-26-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Alright, I admit it, I like love stories. But I don't like the stereotype romance novel. So, I'm looking for good love stories, but I'm having a hard time finding them.
Do you have any recommendations (preferably e-books, but paper books as well)? They don't need to be "pure" love stories, but it should be a main part of the book.
BoingBoing linked to the author of this short story yesterday. Does that count?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Thunderstruck and The Historian look very much like I might like them, so I will probably buy them. I'll have a second look on Galileo's Daughter. I've already seen the movie A Beautiful Mind, so I'm not sure if I want to read the book (I prefer reading the book first), but I might reconsider.
Furthermore I downloaded The Brushwood Boy and will read it in the next few days.
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
BoingBoing linked to the author of this short story yesterday. Does that count?
Yeah, I just read it and it's a nice little story. I'd prefer novels though, but thanks anyway.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Have you read "When the Wind Blows" by Patterson?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
acemccloudxx
Java Master
acemccloudxx doesn't litteracemccloudxx doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Depending upon the level of ... adult content ... that you are comfortable with, I know a few that I can recommend by email.

One author that I can recommend here is Christine Feehan. I've only read the Ghostwalker books and the Drake Sisters. The stories have interesting plots and characters and strong romantic elements, though I found myself more often than not skipping the sex scenes.

Ace
acemccloudxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can highly recommend Exit to Eden by Ann Rice. The book is very good. The movie however is awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Here's a mixed bag - all good reads:

The Thornbirds, Colleen McCullough
Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand
Doctor Zhivago, Boris Pasternak

Last edited by ProfJulie; 03-27-2008 at 08:24 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
acemccloudxx
Java Master

I actually thought of Atlas Shrugged which definitely does not taste like chicken but you're right The Fountainhead is a good recommendation, though the romance is only one modest sized thread out of a dozen or so.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemccloudxx View Post
I actually thought of Atlas Shrugged which definitely does not taste like chicken but you're right The Fountainhead is a good recommendation, though the romance is only one modest sized thread out of a dozen or so.
That modest sized thread out of a dozen or so left a lasting impression on me - if I recall correctly it is quite steamy. It's been a while since I read Atlanta Shrugged, but I supposed there was some kind of romance between Dagny & John Galt.....
Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #13
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Around Valentine's day, I was wanting to read a good love story and started looking around (I do not like romance novels at all). I found this article, which provided quite a list.....I downloaded and read Wuthering Heights, and was very disappointed. The story was not at all what I expected and did not satisfy my urge for a good love story at all. But I'll work my way through the rest of the list:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/au...ooks.booksnews
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
acemccloudxx
Java Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Mostly blech. The Bard is always good though.

Here's a really good one: Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy (fantasy)

Something lighter: A Quest For Chameleon, Piers Anthony (the rest of the series gradually goes down hill)
Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #15
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Here are some more:

Cold Mountain, Charles Frazier
The Far Pavilions, M.M. Kaye