Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
e-Ink tablet anyone?

I have a fair amount of tablets and e-Readers. The only thing really missing for me would be a 7" or 10" e-Ink tablet. Android, iOS or Win8, don't really care. Does anyone know of such a device? Is there anything like that in the pipeline? Will we never see it?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 9.7" Onyx M92 can supposedly run Android. I don't know how well, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose it is possible to root one of my Sony readers, but I would like support for things like Bluetooth and keyboards.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
It would not be useful I think.

Pick a 9.7" inch e-reader and try to browse on it (assuming there is one that has a browser). Scrolling is irritating. Reaction time is slow. You can't watch any movies... You can't play many games (apart from maybe Chess and Go, or Sudoku).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I don't expect it to replace any of my Android tablets. I want it as a complement, something I'm able to use outdoors even in the brightest sunshine.
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think most people that are interested in a tablet want to be able to play games and watch videos, which e-ink cannot really do.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
It would not be useful I think.

Pick a 9.7" inch e-reader and try to browse on it (assuming there is one that has a browser). Scrolling is irritating. Reaction time is slow. You can't watch any movies... You can't play many games (apart from maybe Chess and Go, or Sudoku).
Agreed. It would be an awful user experience.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. It would be an awful user experience.
Yeah. I have the Sony PRS-T1 and it's great for reading, and the web browser is usable for downloading books from the library and Sony store, but I can't imagine trying to use it for anything else.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Very few people would want it, which would make the price very high, even if there was enough demand to get it to market in the first place. When e-ink has the color and refresh rate of LCD, then there would be a market for an e-ink tablet.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My tablet is better than my ereader at anything I want to do.

Except reading. The ereader is smaller, lighter, thinner. Longer battery life, up to 2 weeks (for me). No backlight. Reading in full daylight and sunshine. And I don't want a tablet the size of an ereader, and don't want to do multimedia stuff on the ereader.

That is why I have both.

Ereaders and tablets will someday merge. We'll get full color, super fast eInk, or we'll get non-reflective LCD's that can be both backlit and frontlit. But not yet....

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-13-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I think the Notion Ink Adam would have qualified (I'm using past tense because the Notion Ink website looks dead.) Android, PixelQi screen which they ruined by putting glossy glass over the top, and IIRC it had a buggy implementation and never delivered.

There may be something from PixelQi in the works, but they sure have been very, very quiet for the past year. I never saw an actual product come in the wake of their 'better than Retina' hype.

Last edited by artifact; 02-13-2013 at 04:15 PM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
spaced-out
spaced-out began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
I do a lot of those things, watch videos and play games on my nook simple touch. It's rooted with android 2.1. Here is a video of it playing Toy Story below. If you look at my other videos, it does weird things for a cheap ereader.

Since I made the videos there have been better apps for the refreshing . Maybe I'll update one someday. It now has a kernel that overclocks it to 1Ghz from 800Mhz, and all the games run at full speed. I do have a video of it playing nintendo 64 (super mario 64) but havent uploaded it to youtube. It's from the old kernel, kinda slow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8MY26rwXuc

Last edited by spaced-out; 02-13-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: additions
spaced-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced-out View Post
I do a lot of those things, watch videos and play games on my nook simple touch. It's rooted with android 2.1. Here is a video of it playing Toy Story below. If you look at my other videos, it does weird things for a cheap ereader.

Since I made the videos there have been better apps for the refreshing . Maybe I'll update one someday. It now has a kernel that overclocks it to 1Ghz from 800Mhz, and all the games run at full speed. I do have a video of it playing nintendo 64 (super mario 64) but havent uploaded it to youtube. It's from the old kernel, kinda slow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8MY26rwXuc
Wow, I cannot believe this is a Nook ST! I shouldn't have returned the one I bought!

I'd love to have an eink tablet able to browse and do email precisely for outdoors and for less eye strain. It would have a place right next to my traditional tablets, phones and kindles.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Hah, LOL A video would have looked like that had you been able to play it on an 80's notebook with a black and white screen

Xendula: doesn't one of the 9.7 inch readers have a webbrowser with which you can use webmail?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #15
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Is there anything like that in the pipeline?
Onyx has announced that it is trying to bring an android based ereader in Q3 this year. According to Booxter of Onyx forum, we may see it in as early as march. Other manufacturers are probably working on it but nobody else has announced it.
According to booxter, we may see android ported on existing onyx devices too (m92 and i62) but i have some doubts regarding this
Onyx already is set to launch android based eink smartphone. It was showcased at CES this year.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced-out View Post
Awesome!

Last edited by Feher; 02-14-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote