Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
How To Read Kindle Books on the M92?

I've been enjoying my M92 for reading PDF books. But I was wondering if one could also read Kindle books on it.
I have some Kindle books on my laptop in Kindle for PC, but I would prefer reading them on the M92.

If it is a hassle to transfer the K-books from my laptop to my M92 and read them on it, I won't bother. But if there is a relatively easy way I wouldn't mind knowing how to do it.
(I'm no pc nerd, so any explanation would have to be very simple for me to be useful. )
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You would need to strip the DRM from a Kindle book for it to open on the Boox. I would then convert it to ePub, as the Boox does not read .mobi very well.

Giving instructions on how to strip DRM is not allowed on MobileRead, but feel free to google Apprentice Alf.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
You would need to strip the DRM from a Kindle book for it to open on the Boox. I would then convert it to ePub, as the Boox does not read .mobi very well.

Giving instructions on how to strip DRM is not allowed on MobileRead, but feel free to google Apprentice Alf.
I am curious. Why does the m92 not read Mobi very well? The other Onyx models read it just fine.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I am curious. Why does the m92 not read Mobi very well? The other Onyx models read it just fine.
The .mobi files I have tried on my M90 have looked awful (formatting way off). The same files on my Kindle have looked just fine. Just an observation, perhaps it's only my experience.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Thank you, pidgeon92.

I had no idea what DRM is. I looked it up.
Maybe it is in the agreement -which I never read- that one cannot even transfer a book from one reading device -Kindle or pc- to another -an e-reader- but that would be ridiculous. It's not copying anything, just like moving a book from one bookcase to another is not copying it.

I'll find out about stripping the DRM from the books to read them on the M92.

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard

You can generally transfer books from one device to another, as long as the devices use the same DRM scheme and are on the same account (be it an Adobe account, an Amazon account, a Barnes & Noble account, etc.)

Since a Kindle book is attached to an Amazon account, and a Boox device is not an Amazon compatible device, it is necessary to remove the DRM from an ebook to get it to open on a Boox device.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Lode
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post

Thank you. I have already begun posting there to find out more.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Lode
Zealot

Done. Thanks to your tip and Apprentice Alf's Blog I'm now enjoying my first favorite Kindle books on the M92. Looking great!