Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
tracyeo
Connoisseur
tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505;PRS-600;Sony PRS-350;Kobo Mini;Kobo Clara HD
Question Why does the publishing industry need my address before I can make a purchase?

Does anyone know what this is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	49642  
tracyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Sales Tax.

With the Agency Publishing Price switch sales tax is now charged based on the physical address/addresses of the Publisher rather than the web retailer.

Whether or not you will have to pay sales tax is dependent upon the State you live in and the particular publisher who is selling you the book.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Are you paying by credit card?

If so, it's required by the credit card company and the clearinghouse that processes it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Off Topic: when you press and hold the ALT button before you press PRTSCRN, you take a screenshot of just the current window, not your entire desktop.

Just in case you don't want people to see your file-sharing icons
EDIT: I don't own a PC anymore, so I have no idea what icons are in your toolbar. I was just poking in the dark.

Last edited by mores; 04-11-2010 at 02:46 PM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
tracyeo
Connoisseur
tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Sales Tax.

With the Agency Publishing Price switch sales tax is now charged based on the physical address/addresses of the Publisher rather than the web retailer.

Whether or not you will have to pay sales tax is dependent upon the State you live in and the particular publisher who is selling you the book.

Thanks. That makes sense.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
tracyeo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Off Topic: when you press and hold the ALT button before you press PRTSCRN, you take a screenshot of just the current window, not your entire desktop.

Just in case you don't want people to see your file-sharing icons
EDIT: I don't own a PC anymore, so I have no idea what icons are in your toolbar. I was just poking in the dark.

Thank you for this very useful tip. Gotta love the Mobileread community.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Tricorp
Enthusiast
Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyeo View Post
Thank you for this very useful tip. Gotta love the Mobileread community.
I did not know that either, lol
Tricorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
lucielcd
lucielcd began at the beginning.

Device: computer/none
they also need your address to determine your geographic location because some ebooks sold outside the USA are priced higher on Amazon.com
lucielcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Are you paying by credit card?

If so, it's required by the credit card company and the clearinghouse that processes it.
Yes, I've noticed a trend lately for vendors selling by Credit Card to ask for data likely to be already stored by the CC issuing bank. I assume it is for CC validation purposes. Even many gasoline pumps will ask for zip code

You may know my CC number but you may not know my date of birth or my Postal zip code number of the billing address. And even if you know one of those, you may not know BOTH.

Kind of a PIA, but the world IS getting meaner. But then again, the bad guys will figure out a workaround eventually.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
That's exactly why they do it. Sometimes they overdo it. For instance, I had to abandon a purchase a while back because the checkout form was coded to break off my apartment number and put it on a separate line, while my CC company wouldn't approve the transaction unless it was on the same line, the way it is in their records.

I don't have a problem with a company that I'm doing business with, and that therefore needs to process my CC, wanting my address; they can't look at my ID and compare it to my face, so they need something to give them some confirmation it's really me. What ticks me off is the places that want every piece of personal information they can think of to fill out the form to tell them they've got a broken link on their website.

I'm not sure the world is getting meaner -- in the middle ages, travellers were waylaid and killed for their clothes! -- but there's always an arms race between the good guys and the bad guys. Always has been.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote