Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Exclamation TOPAZ decrypted

Probably I've overread it in some threads and you all know it for weeks already...
But I haven't found a thread, so maybe it's news to some:
TOPAZ files can be decrypted now.
I've just used 2 python scripts for it.
One to generate SVG, another one to create HTML out of SVG.

It's not as convenient as other tools. Maybe I can avoid the step inbetween.
But anyway: The HTML output seems perfect.
I guess LRX, not being supported anymore, remains the last non-decryptable format...

BTW: Some of the scripts I've found for TOPAZ date back until January 20th, so it's definitely not quite new...

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-22-2010 at 02:12 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Shhhhhh!!!!!!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You don't spend much time in the Kindle forum do you?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You don't spend much time in the Kindle forum do you?
Okay, guess I've been sleeping. But didn't find any threads, you guys seem to have hidden it quite well.
I admit, I've been focussing on iRex 800 and nook lately. Tomorrow, my BeBook Neo (Onyx Boox) will be my gadget of the week.
I think I haven't used my Kindles for more than 5 hours in total.

EDIT: Okay, found it. Sorry for the (3 weeks) old news...

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-22-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Okay, guess I've been sleeping. But didn't find any threads, you guys seem to have hidden it quite well.
I admit, I've been focussing on iRex 800 and nook lately. Tomorrow, my BeBook Neo (Onyx Boox) will be my gadget of the week.
I think I haven't used my Kindles for more than 5 hours in total.
You really should use and get to know them (5 hours is not enough). The Kindle is a great reader.

Here are some threads (they've scrolled out of site because this has been working for some time now... also keep an eye on the DarkReversers blog for updagtes):

one thread

and a K4PC thread
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You really should use and get to know them (5 hours is not enough). The Kindle is a great reader.

Here are some threads (they've scrolled out of site because this has been working for some time now... also keep an eye on the DarkReversers blog for updagtes):

one thread

and a K4PC thread
Thanks. I had seen the first thread. But only until "not working...".

I actually like both Kindles. But quite frankly, I'm always using my newest reader for about 4 weeks, check out the tips/hacks, convert the books, prepare and configure the unit, ... and then most of the time move on to the next gadget. Haven't used iRex 1000S either. And didn't use Cybook Opus. Surprisingly enough, playing around with nook for more than 2 weeks already.
I've considered, ending my excursion into eInk for some weeks now, because I'm using each gadget less and less. But I couldn't resist, ordered BeBook Neo on Friday. It's already on its way. Very interested in the WiFi webstore experience...
Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
michael gibbons
michael gibbons began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can anyone direct me to a way to decrypt Kindle topaz files?
Michael
michael gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I say "Just give Amazon what they want and only buy ebooks from them for your Kindles.
The rest of us will buy from stores that don't use Topaz."

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post

I guess LRX, not being supported anymore, remains the last non-decryptable format...

And Apple Epubs?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
And Apple Epubs?
There's no such thing as unbreakable DRM. There's a much simpler reason for why Apple's FairPlay DRM on their iBooks epubs hasn't been reverse-engineered yet.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-23-2011 at 12:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael gibbons View Post
Can anyone direct me to a way to decrypt Kindle topaz files?
Michael
To decrypt Topaz files you need to remove DRM so nobody here can tell you.

But if you do a web search for a self-stled APPRENTICE named ALF he might explain how it works.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And Apple Epubs?
Please note that this thread dates back to before iBooks was launched.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Please note that this thread dates back to before iBooks was launched.
Oops.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
What is the point to the Topaz format? I bought a Topaz book, decrypted it with above mentioned scripts, make an ePub out of it and converted to mobi and had the same book. What does Topaz get me over mobi?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
What is the point to the Topaz format? I bought a Topaz book, decrypted it with above mentioned scripts, make an ePub out of it and converted to mobi and had the same book. What does Topaz get me over mobi?
Topaz is designed to be an easy format for scanned books - it's got the images on the page, combined with a often-not-very-good OCR'd copy of the text for searching. Those scripts only get you that OCR'd text.

If your resulting book was the same, with no blatant OCR errors and with formatting intact, you're lucky.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote