Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Although, somehow ebooks.com and ebookmall.com are still in business. I wonder how they manage it.
Don't know, although IIRC ebooks.com has other parts to their business including some educational stuff or something.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #17
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
ebooks.com also doesn't participate in a lot of the free ebook promotions.

From what I've been able to learn from many of the stores, the store pays the license fee on each "free" book sold and downloaded (until you download the first time and install it, a license isn't created; that even triggers the payment to adobe). Their original contracts with publishers didn't include a vision of tons of free books adding to their costs and the publisher paying nothing. A few have probably re-negotiated and managed to get that cost under control (I suspect that is why Christianbook went back to allowing downloads on free books).

My books won't download from from diesel, btw. One was pulled by the publisher, apparently and others just gave error messages. I didn't get an email from them, either (and there is no notice on the front page, so I suspect some are still buying even as they are closing in less than a week).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #18
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post

My books won't download from from diesel, btw. One was pulled by the publisher, apparently and others just gave error messages. I didn't get an email from them, either (and there is no notice on the front page, so I suspect some are still buying even as they are closing in less than a week).
Diesel no longer has ebooks available for purchase either. I'm guessing their content server is gone. The suddenness makes me think it's due to serious financial reasons like non-payment.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #19
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I was able to download all but 2 books today. I'm pretty sure I have them in Calibre, but like to download from the source if the source is going away just to be sure.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:40 AM   #20
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I got 16 separate emails from Diesel telling me that the store is closing and to download my books it would've been really handy if they included a link to the store in said email. I go to site log in and there's no books from what I can tell I created an account but never purchased anything but I'm glad they told me 16 times to check. Seems to me too that they're giving really short notice I get the email today and we loose access next week pity the poor soul who's away on holidays or doesn't regularly check their email.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:55 AM   #21
Lush
Connoisseur
Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kindle 3, KPW, iPad, iPhone
Have $26 unspent from a Diesel gift voucher with no chance of using it, also a prepaid book due for download on April 1st. That's obviously not going to happen.
I have tried to contact Customer Support, but all links default to a closing shop message. Am feeling somewhat ripped off.
Lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
Have $26 unspent from a Diesel gift voucher with no chance of using it, also a prepaid book due for download on April 1st. That's obviously not going to happen.
I have tried to contact Customer Support, but all links default to a closing shop message. Am feeling somewhat ripped off.
Yep - I lost credit with BoB. Live and learn - don't leave credit unspent!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I got 16 separate emails from Diesel telling me that the store is closing and to download my books it would've been really handy if they included a link to the store in said email. I go to site log in and there's no books from what I can tell I created an account but never purchased anything but I'm glad they told me 16 times to check. Seems to me too that they're giving really short notice I get the email today and we loose access next week pity the poor soul who's away on holidays or doesn't regularly check their email.

I also got 16 emails, LOL.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #24
mharvey816
mharvey816 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The books aren't there to download anymore

I got 14 emails early this morning which is how I found out Diesel was closing. Those emails represent the 14 books I purchased from them last year.

But when I got to the download link for my bookshelf, it now says I have no books. My order history still reflects those purchases, so I know they were made.

So if you got a lot of emails and you didn't see any books to download, it doesn't necessary mean you never bought any. Go check your order history to be sure.

The big question is HOW are we going to be able to get our books before April1st if they're already gone?

And people wonder why nobody trusts independent ebook sellers anymore.
mharvey816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharvey816 View Post
The big question is HOW are we going to be able to get our books before April1st if they're already gone?
Did you not download them when you bought them? You really can't assume that a bookstore is going to keep them for you forever.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #26
mharvey816

So you're saying this is acceptable behavior from a retailer? It's okay for them just bugger off in the night, and oh so sorry, you should have downloaded all your books when you bought them?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
So you're saying this is acceptable behavior from a retailer? It's okay for them just bugger off in the night, and oh so sorry, you should have downloaded all your books when you bought them?
It's not acceptable; but given the nature of this industry, it's always wise to download and strip the DRM off all of your digital purchases. You never know when they'll suddenly close shop or 'lose' your purchases.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #29
mharvey816

Believe me, I know that. I'm almost certain I already did that back when I bought the books in July (Calibre and Alf are my good friends), but I'm not the only one in this boat, and sadly not everyone realizes that they need to take these precautions, especially with the smaller retailers.

But if they say you have 6 days to download, then the books should be there to download. It's a shame such a previously popular retailer has to end it all in such a sloppy fashion.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
No, I'm saying it's sensible. Never trust a single source for anything. Always have a backup. That way your files are in YOUR hands, and not somebody else's. Of course we all hope that bookstores won't go out of business, but experience shows us that they can, and do.