Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #376
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Isn't this thread for the first two Kobos (and NOT for the touch, mini, or Glo)?
Why yes, it is But I guess if they don't even rate tags then we can't be surprised when the thread gets hijacked.

BTW, what ever happened to those updates that were supposed to go into beta testing a while back?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153644
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #377
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
<Wrong thread, sorry>

Last edited by rashkae; 11-21-2012 at 09:38 AM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #378
irow
irow began at the beginning.

Device: none
forget new features, just fix all teh damn bugs in the current kobo glo instead adding more half-assed crap to the reader that might not even work properly.
irow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #379
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
Seems to be a lot of wasted space at the bottom of the screen, more than is needed for a simple page number, especialy if you use a small font, I have nook simple touch and the text goes anlmost to the bottom of the screen on it and it still had a page number at the bottom also.

John.

Last edited by Tinderbox (UK); 11-29-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #380
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

Device: Kobo Glo
I would like dictionaries and translations in additional languages, for example Polish, Czech and some other Eastern European languages.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #381
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Simple, no PDF reflow necessary:
- PDF Continuous Mode, go down one screen height when zoomed in
- PDF flip page while zoomed in

- Use full screen, hide status bar

Last edited by ksiflhjla8; 12-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #382
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Here's one that should be in the firmware. The issue is the huge amount of wasted white space at the bottom of many pages, which is caused by stupid defaults for widow and orphan prevention.

Apparently (according to davidfor) the defaults for widow and orphan prevention are 3 and 3 (lines, I presume), which keeps the Kobo from breaking paragraphs across pages, but wastes a huge amount of display space and causes a lot of unnecessary page-turns. These default values may be appropriate for a magazine of a book, but are simply not appropriate on an e-reader, where screen space needs to be conserved, not wasted

If the defaults for both of these values were 0, perceived performance would be much better, and the annoyance factor would be greatly reduced.

Changing both values to 0 seems to work well on epubs - for the first time, text uses all the normally-wasted white space at the bottom of the screen, and goes all the way down to the menu-bar. You get several more lines/page on the average, and fewer page turns.

BIG thanks to textchimp for this one!
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #383
textchimp
textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
So much wasted screen space...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Here's one that should be in the firmware. The issue is the huge amount of wasted white space at the bottom of many pages, which is caused by stupid defaults for widow and orphan prevention.

Apparently (according to davidfor) the defaults for widow and orphan prevention are 3 and 3 (lines, I presume), which keeps the Kobo from breaking paragraphs across pages, but wastes a huge amount of display space and causes a lot of unnecessary page-turns. These default values may be appropriate for a magazine of a book, but are simply not appropriate on an e-reader, where screen space needs to be conserved, not wasted

If the defaults for both of these values were 0, perceived performance would be much better, and the annoyance factor would be greatly reduced.

Changing both values to 0 seems to work well on epubs - for the first time, text uses all the normally-wasted white space at the bottom of the screen, and goes all the way down to the menu-bar. You get several more lines/page on the average, and fewer page turns.

BIG thanks to textchimp for this one!
Actually, it looks like there are two problems here. The first is the issue with the default settings for widows & orphans, which seems like it can be improved by setting them both to 0 in the CSS conversion settings in Calibre or similar.

The other problem is to do with the huge amount of space that's wasted due to a layout bug, where a paragraph ends in the middle of the page, and the next does not start until the next page. This seems to happen when the next paragraph (the one that begins on the next page) is itself longer than a page. I read somewhere on this website that this is a problem with the Adobe Digital Editions software on the Kobo that renders the page layout. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be affected by changing the widows/orphans settings, and it's an embarrassingly huge bug for such a popular & high-profile ereader. Maybe Kobo could let us know when they're planning on fixing this?

Also, how about that option for fullscreen mode, i.e. no space reserved at the bottom of the screen for page numbers or the menubar? That's 10% of the screen space wasted for every page...
textchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #384
yack33
yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!yack33 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KOBO GLO
BUG: FONT SIZE MENU FIXED AS THE BOOK IS PARAMETERIZABLE.

The font size can be changed books but the font remains unchanged and menus too small.

In general, if you change the font size is that the smaller sizes are illegible to the reader, it must therefore also applies to the menus to some extent if they are illegible for this player

For my mother, I have to put a font size of 66% on the slider and it unreadable menus and page being bottom of the screen.
This is a certain gene and must call made ​​to another person to read the current page or on the menu.

Is there an advanced menu that I have not seen this feature or should it wait for the next software release of IL KOBO

version of my kobo glo 2.1.5 (r43939, 10/12/12)
yack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #385
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Adjustable font size for menus and dictionary screens is of greatest importance for weak-eyed Kobo users. Please do not ignore the needs of this group.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #386
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Adjustable font size for menus and dictionary screens is of greatest importance for weak-eyed Kobo users. Please do not ignore the needs of this group.
Hear hear.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #387
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If adjustable font sizes for the interface are impractical because of design & layout concerns, then a mode where the text can be selectively enlarged like a magnifier mode probably wouldn't be the worst compromise...

I imagine that being able to enlarge the interface text would also entail having to code all the touch screen hotspots as relatively sized fields if they aren't already, which could be a lot of work.

The above said, I'm not getting younger(had to get glasses to pass the eye test for my license renewal this year -nearsighted a bit at 47, but still...) so I'd like to see adjustable interface text sizing as well, or at least the option to switch the device to a custom mode with an emphasis on LARGE font sized interface for someday in my case. It might be simpler to code an alternate large sized interface rather than a fully relative one depending on how things are already done. At least that way they could maintain control of how the device looks to others rather than taking a chance of letting people select sizing that might make the device interface look downright awful.

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-10-2012 at 11:50 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #388
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I read non-fiction books, a lot - and on the Glo I can't access the notes which are usually in superscript adjacent to the text that it relates to.

There are several reasons why I can't access the notes:

- when I touch or lightly depress the superscript then depending on where they appear on the page I am likely to bring up the menu choice bar, or

- turn the page either forward or back

The superscript note has a line under it - which should indicate that by depressing the character it would take you to the part of the book where the Notes are - in fact nothing happens except to engage the sub menu or page bar.

So Kobo - you need to address this issue - it's pretty basic and one that other ereader makers seem to do without problems.

Of course, once you are in the Notes section then you should be able to re-touch the Note number and be returned to the page you were on.

It goes without saying zoom should also be a standard feature and be able to be accessed via a pinch method on the screen or the menus.

I don't just mean a Kepub - I mean it should work for all books that have been downloaded onto the Glo.

That's my 2 cents worth .... pretty darn basic and I would have thought that these sorts of things would have been addressed eons ago. Mmmmmm .....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #389
Liriel
Connoisseur
Liriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: BOL Oyo, Kobo Glo 8GB
please reset the lower bar to that from version 2.2.1 and lower.
kill the percent monitor and make the button Library come back.

its a horror that can not go back to the shelves and must go through the start screen.
please return the libary button or set a option to change it.

and make the firmware faster at 2.3.2 ist slower as beforeand not only a little bit.

im back on 2.2.1 because its faster and the libary button in the lower bar are back.

Last edited by Liriel; 12-22-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #390
justywusty
Enthusiast
justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.

Device: kobo touch
I actually love the new % and quick stats! Please don't get rid of them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liriel View Post
please reset the lower bar to that from version 2.2.1 and lower.
kill the percent monitor and make the button Library come back.

its a horror that can not go back to the shelves and must go through the start screen.
please return the libary button or set a option to change it.

and make the firmware faster at 2.3.2 ist slower as beforeand not only a little bit.

im back on 2.2.1 because its faster and the libary button in the lower bar are back.
justywusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo