Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
msoulier
New Kobo Reader
msoulier began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
latest calibre corrupted my kobo's db

Hi,

I installed the latest calibre onto my Ubuntu netbook, and after syncing a book over to my Kobo, it stopped working. Subsequent attempts to sync to it resulted in a corrupt db error. I had to wipe the filesystem and rebuild it.

Is this a known issue?

I'm using a version of calibre on a windows box that worked fine, but the same version (I think) on Linux resulted in an unusable ereader.

Thanks.
msoulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Kobo's tend to spontaneously corrupt their dbs at which point a reset is the only solution. The windows and linux versions of calibre use exactly the same code and that code has not changed in months.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
msoulier
New Kobo Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Kobo's tend to spontaneously corrupt their dbs at which point a reset is the only solution.
Hmm. I'll have to see if it's reproduceable then. That's not reassuring. I bought the Kobo because it seemed the most open platform.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
msoulier
New Kobo Reader

As a note, my db has been corrupted twice now, and only after using Calibre. I consider that anecdotal only thus far, but hopefully I can establish a real pattern.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I did not think that Calibre touched the Kobo database (although I could be wrong). I thought that it only copied on the new book files and then the Kobo updated the database on disconnection from the PC.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I did not think that Calibre touched the Kobo database (although I could be wrong). I thought that it only copied on the new book files and then the Kobo updated the database on disconnection from the PC.
Hi

It does query the database obviously and during a send it may update the database if you have collections/metadata being sent automatically.

In my experience the original and wifi Kobo's were solid (but not for everyone else). I do a lot of stuff to my development devices and the database never became corrupt. However my KTouch is a different story. Deleting a book using Calibre was reliably corrupting the database with the exact same setup that worked for the other devices.

Apparently the KTouch has a much more specific requirement for voltage and the USB extension cable I was using caused the issue. I have not had the issue since I connected directly to the USB card with the delivered cable.

I had thought that the earlier issues were related to poorly formatted/corrupt epubs but now it seems that the connection may have been a factor too.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
windstorm
bookworm
windstorm began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msoulier View Post
Hi,

I installed the latest calibre onto my Ubuntu netbook, and after syncing a book over to my Kobo, it stopped working. Subsequent attempts to sync to it resulted in a corrupt db error. I had to wipe the filesystem and rebuild it.

Is this a known issue?

I'm using a version of calibre on a windows box that worked fine, but the same version (I think) on Linux resulted in an unusable ereader.

Thanks.
Hiya,
This is what's just happened to me... how do I "wipe the filesystem and rebuild it"???
I have no idea.
W
windstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
msoulier
New Kobo Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by windstorm View Post
Hiya,
This is what's just happened to me... how do I "wipe the filesystem and rebuild it"???
I have no idea.
W
Google is your friend, but basically if you mount the kobo and manually delete everything (back up everything you care about first), and then reset the kobo to factory defaults using a safety pin, it will rebuild its filesystem.

Then resync it using your kobo desktop software, manually copy over any other books you added like before, and it should be fine.

Luckily Kobo started putting the 100 free books in an online update, so you shouldn't lose those. At least, that's been my experience. YMMV.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Google is your friend, but basically if you mount the kobo and manually delete everything (back up everything you care about first), and then reset the kobo to factory defaults using a safety pin, it will rebuild its filesystem.
I think it's far easier to use the menu's on the Kobo Touch, go to Settings and then look for the "Reset to Factory Defaults" option. (Sorry; don;t have one handy to look at the menus).

Quote:
Luckily Kobo started putting the 100 free books in an online update, so you shouldn't lose those. At least, that's been my experience. YMMV.
The Touch does not include the free books. But they are readily available.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote