Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The recent dropping of delivery charges for non-US customers suggests to me that there will be a WiFi-only Kindle. Amazon could not have sold such a device and charged for delivery.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Actually, I realize now that Amazon uses the 3G Whispersync for page synchronization between devices-that seems like a pretty important feature for them.
That could still work over wifi though, provided people are mainly using their Kindle around WiFi.

I read my Kindle at home, and occasionally read some on the Kindle PC app in my office or on my girlfriend's laptop at her place (or her iPad) so I'd get by fine with WiFi whispersync.

But again, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a 3G version available. If there's a wifi only version it will just be a cheaper option for people who don't use their Kindle on the go and don't need the 3G.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
That could still work over wifi though, provided people are mainly using their Kindle around WiFi.
True. One thing I really liked though, about Amazon's approach was how seamless they made the idea of "persistent data connection"...you really didn't need to know any details/monthly plans/overages/megabyte-gigabyte/ free-paid wifi connections and calculations, etc...It just worked, wherever you were.

I realize this isn't really practical for more sophisticated internet driven/data intensive uses *cough iPad cough*...but it SHOULD be how things work
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote