Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #46
Wicked
Wicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
See other thread for answer on the charger itself.
The behaviour when you plug it into the computer is so that you can continue to read while charging. If you select "connect to computer" it mounts it to allow you to play with the file system on the device, but you won't be able to read on it until you disconnect. If you decline to connect it should still be charging but will allow you to continue reading on the device while it charges (but you won't be able to play with the files on the device).
okay well no need to play with the device, as said, mainly because the battery drops and doesn't run the light which I use most of the time, daylight and night.

I am in the other thread.
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
A two year old thread? Look at it this way. You need to eat 50 peas to satisfy your hunger for peas. If there are only 25 peas on your plate then you will go away hungry but if there are 75 peas you can easily leave the last 25 on the plate. It is the same with current (amps). If the power supply has more than is needed the device will take what it needs and leave the rest. If a power supply only offers less it will take two course of action. Which one depends on the device.

Course one. the device will throttle down its need in a tradeoff of time vs. current. Taking 500mA for 2 hours is the same as 1000mA for one hour. This sort of thing is what happens when you plug into a computer where the device can easily tell it is a computer because it tries to communicate with the device.

Course two.The device will try and get what it needs anyway and the power supply will overheat and likely stop working at all.

So, having a too small charger is bad but having a bigger than necessary doesn't hurt anything except it is likely more expensive and larger.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #48
Wicked
Wicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blueWicked can differentiate black from dark navy blue

and I still don't have any definitive answers LOL.........

Bye the way is there a members listing anywhere, sure would like to find my prior member name. Have a few in mind so if I saw it I would know, but I don't see any listings.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Wicked: You want a definitive statement?

Assuming your Sony charger has the same type of connector as is needed for your Kobo Glo, it will be completely safe to use it to charge your Kobo Glo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #50
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
and I still don't have any definitive answers LOL.........
It works. Do it. Read a book.

A longer explanation is that you can use any charger that outputs the same voltage (this isn't much of an issue as USB ports are required to run on 5v DC) and if the current source equals to or exceeds the input requirements of the Glo. A typical USB 2.0 port on a computer only provides 500mA of current for the device to charge, USB 3.0 goes up to 900mA which is still below the specs of your charger.

FYI Kobo's own cube charger only outputs 5v at 1000mA (1 ampere) and it is marketed to work with the Glo, Mini & Touch. I finally found one at a retail store and use it to charge my camera which only came with a very bulky .5A USB charger, as well as my readers.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #51
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Wicked: You want a definitive statement?

Assuming your Sony charger has the same type of connector as is needed for your Kobo Glo, it will be completely safe to use it to charge your Kobo Glo.
come to think about it, the connetors are exactly the same, usb and the mini side. I will give it a shot thanks.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #52
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
Thumbs up Use tv usb port to charge kobo

A television USB socket provides a low current (while tv is ON), usually 500mA or (rarely) up to 1000mA, at 5 volts. This is provided from the television's internal power supply unit.

all you need is the cable

and

for example ...

Kyocera Travel Charger at 5v 350ma at $1 - $2.50 with cable works perfectly fine.

In addition:

Speed of charging vs total number of recharge cycles ...
is -roughly- a constant.

so compared to charging at nominal 500 ma
- charging at 1,000 ma (while 2x as fast) will reduce number of recharge cycles by < 2x
and charging at 350 ma will take longer but give more cycles = longer life of battery

2bits

Last edited by 2bits; 12-29-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added info & correct spelling
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #53
Eddie_Brock
Eddie_Brock began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Wireless
For clarity;
I have been using my 2amp (2000mA) USB charger from my phone to charge my kobo without any issues for over a year.

I hope this helps.
Eddie_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #54
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_Brock View Post
For clarity;
I have been using my 2amp (2000mA) USB charger from my phone to charge my kobo without any issues for over a year.

I hope this helps.

thank you. I will probably charge it on the charger when the computer is off and if the computer is ON, will do it via that......... sure don't want to kill the battery early.....

Thanks everyone, appreciate it