Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
So, the adapter I have for a Blackberry. 5.7 v, .8 amp, should be okay for my Kobo? Won't blow it up?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #17
Canmann
Canmann began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Vox and Nexus 7 soon.
USB charger

I use an apple ipod usb charger, works great.
Canmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #18
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
So, the adapter I have for a Blackberry. 5.7 v, .8 amp, should be okay for my Kobo? Won't blow it up?
I used my blackberry charger last night and no problems
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #19
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Now there's no official word on whether blackberry chargers (that we use here in the office all the time) will work acceptably for your devices.

No official word.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #20
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I am not officially thanking you for not officially stating that Blackberry adapters that you use all the time work on the Kobo. That is officially not useful information to not officially know.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #21
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
Hmmm ... I guess I'm in the minority having a Blackberry that uses a micro-USB charger (rather than a mini) ... But now I know what specs to look for when I next go to Radio Shack (oops, "The Source") or other electronics store - thanks!
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #22
GraemeWi
GraemeWi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo
If any New Zealand Kobo users are looking for one, I've used a DSE (Dick Smith) Digitor USB charger, it does 5v, 500ma and seems to work ok. http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/M9946 The website data indicates it is a 5v 700ma charger, but it's 500ma according to the sticker on the charger itself.

Cheers,

G
GraemeWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:46 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Anyone tried their Blackberry wall charger yet? I'm afraid it might overload the kobo.
I've used my Blackberry charger. It says it supplies 5V @ 700mA while the Kobo is labeled 5V 700mA near the USB socket. It takes less time to recharge than plugged into the computer since my computer's USB ports are limited to 500mA -- at least my motherboard implements that limit. I've seen others that supply higher current but USB spec is 500mA.

Shouldn't cause any issues but I would like to be able to read while the charger was plugged in -- should be doable in the firmware by checking if you have a valid data connection before going to the plugged in screen.

One other item to beware of is that quite a few USB chargers don't supply the stated current --my daughter picked up one for a handheld game to replace her original charger that died horribly. When I opened up the old charger which stated DC5V 1000mA on the outside, the internal circuit board was clearly labeled DC5V, 500mA. Since her game draws about 700mA, the charger was being overloaded and eventually fricasseed itself.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-11-2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Once again, fat fingers and keyboards don't mix.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #24
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
The USB spec is no longer 500mA. It's actually quite complicated now as there was an IEEE USB Battery Charging Spec started back in 2006 (as I recall), that allows up to 1.5A over USB. Devices negotiate how much they need / can get from the host. So, for a true USB host port, the USB device (kobo) will sort out how much it can have. For a "dumb" USB wall-charger, you'll want to be able to deliver the full rated requirement of 700mA.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My Blackberry 9700 uses a micro USB but luckily enough, my old BB 9000 charger was still hooked up at my desk and it has charged my new Kobo a couple of times.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #26
marleyfan
marleyfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, htc hero, comfy chair
I'm using the wallwart that came with my htc hero. It is rated at 5v 1.0A. I use it to charge my phone, kobo and zune all with no problem.
marleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
The USB spec is no longer 500mA. It's actually quite complicated now as there was an IEEE USB Battery Charging Spec started back in 2006 (as I recall), that allows up to 1.5A over USB. Devices negotiate how much they need / can get from the host. So, for a true USB host port, the USB device (kobo) will sort out how much it can have. For a "dumb" USB wall-charger, you'll want to be able to deliver the full rated requirement of 700mA.
Actually there is no requirement for USB to deliver more than 500mA and anyone who expects a computer to power their device cannot guarantee that more than 500 mA is available. So although the spec has some complicated variations and under certain conditions might only be able to supply 100mA to a given device the 500mA is certainly a reasonable minimum if you don't use a hub. You cannot expect any computer to supply 1.5 A. You might get it but then again you might not.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #28
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually there is no requirement for USB to deliver more than 500mA and anyone who expects a computer to power their device cannot guarantee that more than 500 mA is available. So although the spec has some complicated variations and under certain conditions might only be able to supply 100mA to a given device the 500mA is certainly a reasonable minimum if you don't use a hub. You cannot expect any computer to supply 1.5 A. You might get it but then again you might not.
There's no guarantee of 500mA either. As I said, per the USB Battery Charging spec, the host negotiates with the device. If the host only has 100mA available, the device will deal with what it can get.

A simple USB wall charger normally doesn't have the intelligence and when the device does not get a response from its protocol queries, it just pulls its full requirement - 700mA with the kobo.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
There's no guarantee of 500mA either. As I said, per the USB Battery Charging spec, the host negotiates with the device. If the host only has 100mA available, the device will deal with what it can get.

A simple USB wall charger normally doesn't have the intelligence and when the device does not get a response from its protocol queries, it just pulls its full requirement - 700mA with the kobo.
True, but this is not new or a change. It has always been that way for computers.

A simple wall charger can overheat or be destroyed if you use one on a device that requires more current than the charger can supply. If the supply has more current available then this is ok. The device will pull only what it needs.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #30
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A simple wall charger can overheat or be destroyed if you use one on a device that requires more current than the charger can supply. If the supply has more current available then this is ok. The device will pull only what it needs.
Which brings us full circle.

When charging your kobo via an intelligent device like your computer, there's nothing to worry about. It may take longer but the job will get done regardless of what current the computer delivers.

When charging via a "dumb" USB wall charger, the charger should be capable of delivering 700mA or greater. Will a 500mA one work? Clearly, many are reporting success here but depending on the build quality of the charger, you may be driving it to a pre-mature failure. YMMV, etc, etc.