Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #31831
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
That's a good idea. Wait, let me think about this.

Bwhahahaha....!!! *aaarrgghhlll, cough, cough* hehehehe.... Teach them something?! *dies with laughter*

Sorry. Tried this like... 10 years ago already. It was an even bigger disaster. They don't even want to learn how to use it. If an explanation takes longer than like 30 seconds, and a program has more than one option (like swiping when playing Bejeweled or something), they don't even want to look at it.

*I* have been using a password manager almost since the day Keepass exists. (And before that, I used a password protected Excel sheet.)
Maybe you should outsource your 'family support' activities to someone more sympathetic to their inabilities. I'm reminded of my father's attempts to teach my mother to drive, he was good a driver, but.... They were headed for nervous breakdowns, divorce, whatever, so I took on the task. My mother got her licence within a couple of months at first attempt.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #31832
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I can teach people whatever they need to know, if I know the materials well enough myself. I've done so many times. Computers, photography, programming, even English (when I was studying English). There are two conditions however, and both my mom and sister don't meet them:

- You'll have to WANT to learn it.
- You'll make a serious EFFORT to learn it.

If you're not willing to do that, I'll just let you muddle through on your own, fix the crap you create (for a fee: yes, even with family, so they try not to create crap), and if you give me too much of a hard time while *I* try to fix *your* crap which you've created because you don't want to learn the way of life after 1997, I'll eventually abandon helping you altogether.

I don't mind people trying to learn something and having a hard time with it. Remember that man (the one who recently died) some posts ago? I taught him how to use a computer from scratch when he was 65, and then taught him anything he needed to know in the next 20 years. After a few years he was digitizing his own LP's, ripping CD's, editing home video's and burning his own DVD's, making his own calendars, he built a recipe BOOK in Word (with pictures)... you name it, he probably did it. He also used a password manager, did online banking, and ordered his own stuff at a few big, trusted stores (bol.com, amazon.de, coolblue, etc....).

The difference between him and my mom (and sister) is that he WANTED to learn this stuff, and they DON'T. And if I notice you don't want to learn and don't even make an effort, I don't want to teach you.

That 85 y/o was more into 2017 than my not-even-mid-thirties sister.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-05-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #31833
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Jury Duty.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #31834
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Wonderfully succinct, DiapDealer.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #31835
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Wonderfully succinct, DiapDealer.
I already wore out all the other words when I saw the envelope in the mailbox.
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #31836
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Jury Duty.
Me too!

Summons to selection arrived this week.

I figure I’ll tell then the guy must be guilty. Why else would he have been arrested?

Last edited by 5thWiggleWife; 02-09-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: More
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #31837
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggleWife View Post
Me too!

Summons to selection arrived this week.

I figure I’ll tell then the guy must be guilty. Why else would he have been arrested?
I went through this in September. Mine was a ridiculous civil case. Wrongful termination. I did not get picked. I told the judge my husband just went through that and you don't see him sueing the company.

The ones picked were professionals who fields were related to the case or pillars of the community. Don't stay silent that's the best way to get picked. Those who were vocal about the case and how stupid they felt it was were not picked.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #31838
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not really looking to avoid getting picked. I just hate the inconvenience of this particular system.

This court has trials on Thursdays. There's five Thursdays in March. I call each Wed evening to find out if my juror number has been called to appear. If picked to serve, the trial proceeds immediately (the vast majority of cases never go beyond that day). So either way, my work day's shot. Even if I go and am not picked to serve.

But having been involved in the process several times, I've come to the conclusion that if (fates forbid) I should ever find myself in the uncomfortable position of having 8-12 people charged with deciding my fate, I'd rather those 8-12 weren't comprised entirely of people who were merely unsuccessful at getting out of it.

So I'll go, I'll answer honestly, I'll listen carefully, and strive to remain as objective as possible about everything I hear and see, for as long as they need me to do so. I'll try to stay interested. Then I'll come home and vent and rant about how far behind I am with work responsibilities.

I'm hoping that I get picked to serve the very first Thursday. Because in the past, the judge in this court has often excused those who've had to serve from needing to report for the rest of the month. One day -- all done!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #31839
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've only been called to service once, and as an aspiring writer, I was delighted. A chance to see a court room from the inside was compelling. Imagine my disappointment day after day as I waited to be selected, only to be told half way through the two weeks that my presence was no longer required .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #31840
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've only been called to service once, and as an aspiring writer, I was delighted. A chance to see a court room from the inside was compelling. Imagine my disappointment day after day as I waited to be selected, only to be told half way through the two weeks that my presence was no longer required .
I've been interested in the process every time I've participated. I've figured out that it's the prospect of serving that I dread. The event itself has always proven interesting at worst.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #31841
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have only about a 1 in 3 lifetime chance of being called for jury duty, according to Radio 4's More or Less programme.

Since I'm some way through my period of jury eligibility, I'd estimate my chance of being called must now be about 1 in 8.

I guess you have more juries in the US.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #31842
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have only about a 1 in 3 lifetime chance of being called for jury duty, according to Radio 4's More or Less programme.

Since I'm some way through my period of jury eligibility, I'd estimate my chance of being called must now be about 1 in 8.

We do. The way it works where I am at. You are pulled from the voter registration. They send you a questionnaire. In the questionnaire is a time period for service which is two months. During that time you can be called for jury selection at anytime.
I was. I wasn't picked. I'm good now that my time is over for two years.

I got to sit in the jury box during the vetting process. The courtrooms are small and there was no room left. It was an open forum. It took all day. The plaintiff's lawyer was a joke and very long winded even the judge was frustrated and hungry by the time it was over. Two long hours. The defendant's lawyer was totally professional and got her questions done in thirty minutes. It was an eight hour day. Alot of waiting. No electronics allowed. It was stressful because the people did want to be there and the lady I was near had just lost her husband and wouldn't stop crying. She wanted out of there. There was one guy who wouldn't stop talking loudly and they shut the lights off so we sat in the dark for over an hour. No refreshments.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #31843
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Far more. The instances of what are called 'bench trials' there are few and far between. I know when I moved to Canada I was surprised at the relatively limited number of jury trials, and I suspect the UK is similar, since our court and legal system is somewhat closer to the UK's.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #31844
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I've heard, and I have no idea if true, that if you bring up Jury Nullification you will be excused from the jury. Be a hero, try that for all of us and see what happens!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #31845
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:

What is the period of eligibility in England? I never heard of such a thing in the US
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness