Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #31846
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
We do. The way it works where I am at. You are pulled from the voter registration. They send you a questionnaire. In the questionnaire is a time period for service which is two months. During that time you can be called for jury selection at anytime.
I was. I wasn't picked. I'm good now that my time is over for two years.

I got to sit in the jury box during the vetting process. The courtrooms are small and there was no room left. It was an open forum. It took all day. The plaintiff's lawyer was a joke and very long winded even the judge was frustrated and hungry by the time it was over. Two long hours. The defendant's lawyer was totally professional and got her questions done in thirty minutes. It was an eight hour day. Alot of waiting. No electronics allowed. It was stressful because the people did want to be there and the lady I was near had just lost her husband and wouldn't stop crying. She wanted out of there. There was one guy who wouldn't stop talking loudly and they shut the lights off so we sat in the dark for over an hour. No refreshments.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Where I am you never know if you will be called until you get a notice in the mail. You do not know if you will ever be called again.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #31847
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I was called for the first time ever last year (county court) and then got selected again this year (the 21st) for state court. Yay. Low juror number too so most likely will be at least be called to show up.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #31848
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Here in Ontario, you get sent a questionnaire to fill out and return so your eligibility can be checked. Then you wait.

If you are chosen you receive a summons through the mail about a month before you are to appear. You go to court on the day and time specified. No skipping or you get in Trouble.

You can ask to be excused before your summons date if you would experience “hardship” such as medical, employment, personal, schooling or vacation circumstances. You may be excused or postponed until a better time.

From what I understand, once you arrive, you go into the selection room with something like a hundred other people, get divided into sections, watch a video about the process, and wait. And wait. You get called by section into a court room where you go in front of the judge and the lawyers. You are told about the case, answer questions and be either chosen or sent back to wait some more.

If you are chosen you are given the trial date - could be later in the same week or the next. If you are not chosen you go back and wait until your section is called again. This goes on day after day until they have run out of cases needing juries. Then you get dismissed. You could be in selection for up to 5 days.

After you serve or are dismissed you are not called again for three years.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #31849
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
What is the period of eligibility in England? I never heard of such a thing in the US
Ages 18 to 75.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #31850
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
We do. The way it works where I am at. You are pulled from the voter registration. They send you a questionnaire. In the questionnaire is a time period for service which is two months. During that time you can be called for jury selection at anytime.
I was. I wasn't picked. I'm good now that my time is over for two years.

I got to sit in the jury box during the vetting process. The courtrooms are small and there was no room left. It was an open forum. It took all day. The plaintiff's lawyer was a joke and very long winded even the judge was frustrated and hungry by the time it was over. Two long hours. The defendant's lawyer was totally professional and got her questions done in thirty minutes. It was an eight hour day. Alot of waiting. No electronics allowed. It was stressful because the people did want to be there and the lady I was near had just lost her husband and wouldn't stop crying. She wanted out of there. There was one guy who wouldn't stop talking loudly and they shut the lights off so we sat in the dark for over an hour. No refreshments.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Sounds like a whole lot of fun.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #31851
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As a generality the US doesn't have committal hearings before a magistrate as exists in UK, which stem from a series of acts that reformed the England & Wales and Scottish justice systems in mid 19th century. Many of Britain's then colonies inherited similar systems.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #31852
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Where I am you never know if you will be called until you get a notice in the mail. You do not know if you will ever be called again.
Me, too, and you know what? I am NEVER chosen. I am always either still there, after the voir dire, and a leftover, or, I'm excused--someone doesn't want me. Thus, nearly every 18 months, without fail, I get called to Jury Duty. It's aggravating as hell.

Spoiler:
I'm a firm believer that one side, or the other, does not want smart jurors. Whichever side is relying more heavily on obfuscation or people being stupid never wants people who can think. Thus, if you show signs of intelligence, you're OUTTA THERE.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #31853
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
We have lived at our current address for more than 25 years.

I have been called for jury duty once -- I showed up, stayed the day waiting to be called, and went home. I haven't been called since.

My wife gets called every four years or so. For some reason she's getting very upset with me.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #31854
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
We have lived at our current address for more than 25 years.

I have been called for jury duty once -- I showed up, stayed the day waiting to be called, and went home. I haven't been called since.

My wife gets called every four years or so. For some reason she's getting very upset with me.
It's like tax audits. If you're never called up randomly, you're usually never called. But, get in their sights ONCE, and you are Doomed For Life.

Hitch
Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #31855
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Me, too, and you know what? I am NEVER chosen. I am always either still there, after the voir dire, and a leftover, or, I'm excused--someone doesn't want me. Thus, nearly every 18 months, without fail, I get called to Jury Duty. It's aggravating as hell.

Spoiler:
I'm a firm believer that one side, or the other, does not want smart jurors. Whichever side is relying more heavily on obfuscation or people being stupid never wants people who can think. Thus, if you show signs of intelligence, you're OUTTA THERE.

Hitch
Tell them you believe in Jury nullification and I bet you will never hear from them again.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:47 PM   #31856
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Tell them you believe in Jury nullification and I bet you will never hear from them again.
Actually, after being called nearly TWENTY times, since 1979, without being used--ever--I finally had enough and gave them a medical excuse (which happens to be valid, but I hadn't used it the last 4+ times), saying I couldn't stay seated on a hard surface, without frequent breaks, for that many hours a day. It's accurate, and all that, but I don't like using medical excuses, for nearly any reason. But I was just SO FED UP with all the driving, parking, schlepping, just so someone could decide to voir dire me out (and you STILL don't get to leave until 5, mind you...), I mean...enough. If they'd asked, I'd have told them the bottom line--either use me, or stop bloody calling me.

Hitch
Old 02-11-2018, 05:24 AM   #31857
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What's jury nullification? Don't think we have such a concept here.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #31858
Gardenman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
What's jury nullification? Don't think we have such a concept here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

Juries are not told abut this because Judges are afraid Juries will use it.

Yes you do have this in the UK

http://ukcriminallawblog.com/jury-nu...e-right-thing/

Last edited by Gardenman; 02-11-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #31859
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
That is why I mentioned jury nullification. Last time I was called in I was selected for a case for marijuana possession. I don't care what the laws are, I think it's stupid in this day and age to prosecute anyone for possession of pot. So, if the guy hadn't plea bargained out I would have given my opinion on that particular law. I'm sure I would have never sat on that jury!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #31860
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

Juries are not told abut this because Judges are afraid Juries will use it.

Yes you do have this in the UK

http://ukcriminallawblog.com/jury-nu...e-right-thing/
Ah, okay. So it's not a legal thing (as in a law) but about jurors exercising their right to ignore the direction of a judge and vote with their conscience. Thanks.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness