Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
is the kindle powerfast charger? actually any different from a standard charger

?? does it charge faster? than a standard usb phone plug for example with mini usb?
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

A power adapter is rated by watts. USB power adapters use about 5 volts and they come with various currents. Watts = volts x amps. For example, a 5 watt USB power supply has 5 volts at 1 amp. A 10 watt USB power supply has 5 volts at 2 amps. A 5 watt (5W at 1A) USB power supply will likely charge a device slower than a 10 watt (10W at 2A) USB power supply. It doesn't matter which company makes the power supply or what label they put on it. What matters is the number of watts. In general, the more watts the faster the charge, but only up to a certain point. The devices are designed to except a maximum amount of current and will not benefit from power supplies that have way too much current. Long story short, if you want faster charging then go with a 10W 2A USB power supply rather than a 5W 1A or less power supply.

If you have a few USB phone chargers, and you likely do, look at the plug portion and try to read the wattage level. The print is often very tiny. If you see 5W or 1A, then that is about what the standard Kindle charger has. If you see 9W or 1.8A that is what the Kindle fast charger uses. For example, my iPad charger is rated at 2.1A.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-28-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Advert
Old 11-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
thank you kindly
for the detailed response
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For $19.95, the PowerFast charger is overpriced.

I have this Ikea Koppla 3-port USB charger. It is a much better value than the Amzon charger as the Ikea charger is good enough to charge an iPad and it works perfectly to charge a Kindle. The price is $9.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Koppla-3...0354246&sr=8-1

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've never used an Amazon charger. They came with my first Paperwhites if I remember correctly. I do know I have a couple. The newer Amazon charger came with a couple of my Fire tablets so I have them. I put them all in a box of chargers for when one of my neighbors needs a charger. I have a 2.5 amp 6 port charger that I use for everything. I've been using it or others like it for years and I've never had a problem.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I prefer to use the charger that is made for the device for safety (probably unnecessary). When I first got the Kindle 9 watt power adapter I noticed that it charged my kindle appreciably faster than the smaller power adapter that Amazon used to supply with the older Kindles. For me it was worth the additional price. Amazon used to have the power adapter on sale for $9.95 occasionally but I haven't noticed if they still do that.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolja View Post
I prefer to use the charger that is made for the device for safety (probably unnecessary). When I first got the Kindle 9 watt power adapter I noticed that it charged my kindle appreciably faster than the smaller power adapter that Amazon used to supply with the older Kindles. For me it was worth the additional price. Amazon used to have the power adapter on sale for $9.95 occasionally but I haven't noticed if they still do that.
You do not need to buy an Amazon branded charger. There are plenty of better ones for less money that will do the same or better. The Ikea charger I posted about is one such charger that's better and cheaper than Amazon branded chargers.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #8
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
There are 2 kinds of mini usb cables here. One is normal cable. The other one is fast charge cable. I've been using the fast charge charge to charge my mobiles/tablets/kobo/kindle. It is doing a good job for me.

Last edited by 344a; 11-29-2016 at 01:41 AM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
And while we're on the topic: can a higher wattage charger possibly damage a device? I'm pretty sure it can't. I bought a higher watt charger for my laptop (a charger for a newer, bigger laptop) on the theory that it couldn't HURT my device, and I might buy a different device later.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
There are 2 kinds of mini usb cables here. One is normal cable. The other one is fast charge cable. I've been using the fast charge charge to charge my mobiles/tablets/kobo/kindle. It is doing a good job for me.
USB cables are not fast or slow at charging, they merely carry the current from the charger to the device. The chargers are what make the difference. For most Kindles and Fires a 9W or 10W charger (2 Amps) is going to give you the fastest charge. The 5W chargers (1 Amp) will still charge but more slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
And while we're on the topic: can a higher wattage charger possibly damage a device? I'm pretty sure it can't. I bought a higher watt charger for my laptop (a charger for a newer, bigger laptop) on the theory that it couldn't HURT my device, and I might buy a different device later.
Not likely, at least if it is the kind of charger made for USB devices. There are fail safes built into the electronics to close the circuits in case of an overload. That likely won't stop a direct lightning strike from frying the device, but most anything else should be stopped before it causes damage, at least if you use a standard USB charger. Each device is designed to allow up to a specific current, and anything beyond that should get blocked. Having said that, I would not tempt fate and use a charger with more than 10-15W (2 to 3 Amps) on a Kindle.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-29-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've never had a problem with using USB charger rated to charge an iPad. Devices these days have the circuitry to limit the power input if need be.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
USB cables are not fast or slow at charging, they merely carry the current from the charger to the device.
All cables are not identical. See. e.g. Neil Brown's article on the subject of USB charging (it will make your head spin, and it's only the start).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never had a problem with using USB charger rated to charge an iPad. Devices these days have the circuitry to limit the power input if need be.
The iPad chargers are 10W (2.1 Amps), so no issues with them at all and they will charge faster than the standard Kindle 5W chargers.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #14
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I just plug mine in overnight when it needs a charge, I don't really care how long it takes, it's always done by the morning.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
USB cables are not fast or slow at charging, they merely carry the current from the charger to the device. The chargers are what make the difference. For most Kindles and Fires a 9W or 10W charger (2 Amps) is going to give you the fastest charge. The 5W chargers (1 Amp) will still charge but more slowly.
I am no expert here. But it really does charge my stuffs much faster.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote