Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Kobo Aura + Dead Pixel/Pin Pricks etc

Hi

I just got my Kobo Aura on Sunday. I do love it, the size and weight of it, but I have tiny pin holes, I can see 4 now, all spread around the edges of the screen.

I'm loathe to request a replacement in case I end up with one that's worse but does anyone know why they appear? And why I seem to be getting a new one each day so far?

Also do they get bigger?

Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'd exchange it while you still can, I don't know if more start to appear or your just noticing more because you've adjusted the brightness ?
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
kingjain
Enthusiast
kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Are they large enough to see if you take a picture of them? I think I lucked out and didn't get any of these pin holes, but I'm curious to see what they look like.

Or if anyone has a pic of the small scratches that many say appear at the top of the screen after minimal use.

Thanks!
kingjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here you go. I have one top left near where you'd see the * for the brightness, one in the middle on the right near the edge! then one to maybe two right at the bottom roughly in the middle.

They are tiny, and so far do avoid where the text is on a normal page. The one on the top is the biggest and it's just above the " on the right side. I took this picture when I was desperately looking for any more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	797.2 KB
ID:	115405  

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-18-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
I'd exchange it while you still can, I don't know if more start to appear or your just noticing more because you've adjusted the brightness ?
Thanks gargoyle67. I'll probably wait until Saturday and talk to the same lady who served me.
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thanks gargoyle67. I'll probably wait until Saturday and talk to the same lady who served me.
If she was helpful, that is always a good way to do it. And ask if you can open the replacement. You will be able to turn the light on without doing the setup and look for any bright spots.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
kingjain
Enthusiast
kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Here you go. I have one top left near where you'd see the * for the brightness, one in the middle on the right near the edge! then one to maybe two right at the bottom roughly in the middle.

They are tiny, and so far do avoid where the text is on a normal page. The one on the top is the biggest and it's just above the " on the right side. I took this picture when I was desperately looking for any more.
Thanks! I see the one next to the top right quote. Interesting...guess i lucked out.
kingjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If she was helpful, that is always a good way to do it. And ask if you can open the replacement. You will be able to turn the light on without doing the setup and look for any bright spots.
Problem is I did check this one, the pin pricks didn't show at first. The top one was Sunday tea time, the bottom ones Sunday before I went to bed, then the left side one turned up yesterday.

I can only guess they turn up as the screen is being touched for page turns etc.
Which is quite worrying.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I'm not sure the theory of the pin prick but I have a feeling it has to do with a dirty and dusty factory. If you read through this thread... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222156 you will find tons of reports on defective Auras.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This is a good idea so you wouldn't waste your time going back and forth. Also use 2 fingers and swipe upward on the screen to get a brighter view of the screen.

I had to exchange mind 6x to get a perfect one. Three of the times were in front of a manager.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Problem is I did check this one, the pin pricks didn't show at first. The top one was Sunday tea time, the bottom ones Sunday before I went to bed, then the left side one turned up yesterday.

I can only guess they turn up as the screen is being touched for page turns etc.
Which is quite worrying.
My understanding was that the bright spots were a manufacturing problem and no new ones would appear. I know one problem is that they some aren't that visible except with the light turned up and in a dark place. Maybe the Aura screen is more different to the Glo and Aura HD than I thought.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to pop back to WHSmith on Saturday but I've already decided that if the current pin pricks stay as they are I'll keep my current Aura. I could try an exchange but I don't want to risk one that's worse. And everything else on my Aura is perfect.