Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Probably a "too simple" algorithm.

Their goal seems to be to build a concordance of all books on the machine.
That can be done (and maintained) "one book at a time".

Obviously, that is not the algorithm Amazon is using (your guess may be as close as any other).

I am sure we have the skills at this web-site to fix it for them, once they send us their sources.
But since "code for free" has no value to a corporation - we need to quote them a (big) price for the work.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pirl8: Silly question, but I have to ask, given that it's *usually* the reason stuff fails to index: You wouldn't happen to be unplugging your Kindle like a barbarian, before properly unmounting/ejecting the USB storage?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@pirl8: Silly question, but I have to ask, given that it's *usually* the reason stuff fails to index: You wouldn't happen to be unplugging your Kindle like a barbarian, before properly unmounting/ejecting the USB storage?
:-) That's the same kind of question I'm asking every day to people with problems accessing documents on their pendrives ;-)

Answer: no, never.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pirl8: Yeah, sorry .

I don't think anyone ever looked that much into the indexing process, but it is somewhat widely known that in can indeed be flakey, for no apparent reason... :/
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
... You wouldn't happen to be unplugging your Kindle like a barbarian, before properly unmounting/ejecting the USB storage?
My kindles are normally always in USBnet mode, so I have (perhaps a bit too often) been a "barbarian" with respect to not ejecting my kindle USB drive. It has not bitten me (yet).

Considering the fact that real "Barbarians" were natural explorers, and that fact that I like to "conquer" my devices, perhaps "barbarian" is just a synonym for "hacker"...

EDIT: And unplugging your USB at just exactly the "wrong" time during the boot process might be a valid way to exploit a race condition to gain root access on a new device, so you can grab a copy of the firmware to look for "easy" exploits.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-09-2012 at 06:45 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
indexing, kindle touch, thumbnails