This error is new to me, only occurring since updating to 3.35 a few hours ago:

When I first connect my H2O2, I get this error message

"calibre, version 3.35.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

BusyError: database is locked

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 540, in _sync_booklists
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 476, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 966, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2508, in update_device_database_collections
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 3107, in set_core_metadata
File "c:\t\t\apsw-j1n8vs\apsw-3.23.1-r1\src\cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
BusyError: BusyError: database is locked
"

It doesn't seem to affect the functionality, I'm still able to copy books over and run the kobo utilities plugin.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That is failure when the driver is updating the metadata on the device. It will mean that the metadata was not updated for that book or any after it in the list. It shouldn't be a big problem as the next time the device is connected the update should happen. And other functions probably worked as the database lock was probably released by the time they happened. And sending books should fail in such a way that the book is put on the device, but other changes aren't made.

But, the real question is why the database was locked. Were you doing anything else at the time? Such as running something from Kobo Utilities? Or something else that looked at the database? The latter would include the Kobo desktop application.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, the real question is why the database was locked. Were you doing anything else at the time? Such as running something from Kobo Utilities? Or something else that looked at the database? The latter would include the Kobo desktop application.
I think that must have been it, thanks. I wasn't doing anything at all with the Kobo via Calibre, but the desktop app was probably running minimised so that I had forgotten it. When I reconnected my H2O2 just now after reading your reply, the Kobo Desktop app was definitely not running and the error message was conspicuous by its absence. Thank you very much!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I think that must have been it, thanks. I wasn't doing anything at all with the Kobo via Calibre, but the desktop app was probably running minimised so that I had forgotten it. When I reconnected my H2O2 just now after reading your reply, the Kobo Desktop app was definitely not running and the error message was conspicuous by its absence. Thank you very much!
If you had just plugged in the device and both calibre and the Kobo desktop application where running, they both would have been trying to read and potentially update the database. So, having both open at the same time is a bad idea. I actually try not to run calibre and the Kobo desktop application in the same connection session. But, I don't use the Kobo desktop application enough to make that a problem.

I think we leave this for now. If it happens again, I'll look into it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:24 AM   #5
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you had just plugged in the device and both calibre and the Kobo desktop application where running, they both would have been trying to read and potentially update the database. So, having both open at the same time is a bad idea. I actually try not to run calibre and the Kobo desktop application in the same connection session. But, I don't use the Kobo desktop application enough to make that a problem.

I think we leave this for now. If it happens again, I'll look into it.
Thanks again. It was definitely an oversight, I'd obviously merely minimised the desktop app after updating books on it, rather than closing it as I had meant to.
Advert

Tags
aura h2o v2