Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
Inkbook Prime, Tolino Vision 4, new Kobo H20 or something else?

Hi all.

I feel that I'm really out of the loop on current E ink technology – my current reader is a Sony T3S that I bought right at the point Sony discontinued their e-reader business. It really suits me, but it is starting to show signs of age, so I'd like to upgrade. But I'd want to be sure that any new reader I bought really felt like an upgrade in terms of reading experience etc.

I have a list of things I know are important to me and looking just at specifications, I think my best bets are probably Tolino Vision 4HD, Inkbook Prime or possibly the new Kobo H2O (although the screen size would be a compromise on portability). I'm in the UK and would have to order any of these readers online. I'd probably have to order the Tolino from Germany. So testing in advance isn't really an option.

The main things I can't tell from specifications are things like how well a reader handles a very large on-board library, how reliable is the touch screen for page turns, how clear is the screen for reading, what the reading light is like, how stable the software is.

Things that are important to me
  • Calibre/Collections - able to load books to the device through calibre, with the calibre tags becomning collections or bookshelves on the device.
  • Storage - The calibre library on my laptop is 7.8Gb and I prefer having my whole library on the device. So expandable storage is ideal, 16Gb non- expandable would be okay, at 8 Gb I'd have to start being selective about what I had on my device at any time.
  • Able to work with a big library without the device slowing down, hanging etc.
  • Buttons - I'd prefer physical buttons as an option - and for them to be usable in whichever reader software you recommend I use. I could live without them if it was with a screen that was never ever slow to repond to touch.
  • Smooth reading experience including -
    A clear screen
    Responsive touch screen
    smooth software
  • Long battery life
  • Reading light - preferably warm or neutral

Things that I'd like to have
  • 6" screen rather than 7" or larger
  • Fits a standard size elastic corner case
  • Good reading software out of the box - or a recommended app that's easy to add without any jail-breaking etc.
  • Ability to create a "go list" or to edit collections on the device itself.

Things that don't matter to me either way
  • Android os
  • Ability to load other apps
(Basically I want a really good e-ink reader rather than compromising on that for the sake of added apps)

Deal killers
  • Hanging software, reader needing frequent resets etc
  • Requires a complicated setup and/or jailbreaking to get a decent reading experience
  • Need to use 3rd party apps for a smooth experience, but they don't have full device functionality
  • Significant ghosting

I hope some people may be able to help me out, particularly in terms of what reliability and reading experience is like on the three devices I mention above and whether there are other readers I should also be thinking about.
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:23 AM   #2
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
One other reader you can get fairly easily in the UK is the Pocketbook Touch HD. I use this reader with the CoolReader Pocketbook fork reader app (see elsewhere on this site), and it will pretty much tick most of your boxes. You can use a micro sd card to give you lots of storage.

I still have a Tolino 3 Vision HD - very well built, lovely screen but the reading software is a little limited compared to a Kobo or the Coolreader app.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
One other reader you can get fairly easily in the UK is the Pocketbook Touch HD. I use this reader with the CoolReader Pocketbook fork reader app (see elsewhere on this site), and it will pretty much tick most of your boxes. You can use a micro sd card to give you lots of storage.

I still have a Tolino 3 Vision HD - very well built, lovely screen but the reading software is a little limited compared to a Kobo or the Coolreader app.
Thanks - can you say a bit more about the limitations of the Tolino software.

I'll definitely look into the pocketbook - would you say it had modern feeling screen and software?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would suggest getting the 32GB Kobo Aura One especially if you want to put your full library on it. It ticks most boxes.

The Original Kobo Aura H2O also ticks most boxes and is still available at https://us.kobobooks.com/products/ko...ign=Aura%20H2O
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:20 AM   #5
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm27 View Post
Thanks - can you say a bit more about the limitations of the Tolino software.

I'll definitely look into the pocketbook - would you say it had modern feeling screen and software?
The Tolino software works, but I came to it from Kobos and missed the Kobo's greater ability to fine tune things such a margin settings, font characteristics. The Kobo integration with Calibre for organising books is also better, though it is possible to do some collection organisation with Calibre/Tolino.

Kobos are very good, but I did not get on with my last Kobo (H2O) because I like a 6" screen and not anything bigger (sorry JSWOLF).

The basic reader on the Pocketbook is a little better than the Tolino, but the Coolreader app gives the user loads of fine tuning options. I also love having manual page turn buttons. Screen quality of the Pocketbook is no better or worse than Tolino or Kobo - all are very good. Collection organisation on the Pocketbook is good.

Personally, if you don't mind the bigger screen, I think you will be delighted with a Kobo. I do love my 6" Pocketbook Touch HD.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Storm27
Connoisseur

Thank you both!

Sadly I'm very sure the Aura One would be too big for me as a 32 gb reader would be perfect.

But I think the H2O at Argos is the new edition - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7507094 (Although they mistakenly say it has an SD card slot so who knows). So I might at least be able to see one in person to see how I find the larger screen.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm27 View Post
Thank you both!

Sadly I'm very sure the Aura One would be too big for me as a 32 gb reader would be perfect.

But I think the H2O at Argos is the new edition - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7507094 (Although they mistakenly say it has an SD card slot so who knows). So I might at least be able to see one in person to see how I find the larger screen.
The H2O at the Argos link is definitely the new H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote