Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle Oasis - will you Read with Cover On or Cover Off?
Cover On 8 9.09%
Cover Off 30 34.09%
Depends - sometimes on, sometimes off 33 37.50%
Not Sure 3 3.41%
Don't Care - I like voting in polls 14 15.91%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Kindle Oasis - will you Read with Cover On or Cover Off?

Will you be reading your books with the cover on or with the cover off?

The primary benefit for reading with the cover on is to get the 9 week battery life; the longest in the current Kindle lineup. But the trade off here means you're also getting the heaviest and thickest Kindle.

The primary benefit for reading with the cover off is to take advantage of the special weighted one-handed hold. In this configuration, it's the lightest and second thinnest Kindle. But the trade off here means you're only getting a 2 week battery; the shortest in the lineup.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
it looks like a lot faster to switch using it with or without the cover, and I think that will change how often I read without a cover.

I most often leave my 159 g leather cover on my 206 g PW 2 = 365 g. (The oasis is 238 g,with cover and 131 g without )

Now, it will be interesting to see if I still can hold the kindle in my right hand with cover on, swinging the cover back in place, while holding a coffee in my left hand, and at the same time walking off the subway.

( In some cases, I imagine it will still be too fiddly to bother taking the cover off)

Last edited by tovare; 04-17-2016 at 08:47 AM.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Why not read with the cover off and then pop it into the cover to recharge and protect it between reading sessions? Then you get both the lightness while reading and the extended battery life.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Why not read with the cover off and then pop it into the cover to recharge and protect it between reading sessions? Then you get both the lightness while reading and the extended battery life.
Yes. This would make the cover more of a dock.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't know that I can afford an Oasis, but if I did I would read without the cover.

I am an adherent of naked reading, and I rarely ever use covers.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One of these gives any ereader extended battery life.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
I'm sure that's easy to do at home, maybe not so much when you're out and about - for me, that would mean take kindle out of handbag, remove cover, put cover in handbag and reverse operation... Much easier currently to take Kindle out of handbag and just open the cover.

I wonder how many people are going to be forgetting covers on trains and planes
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I'm just not sure before trying. I use all my other readers with the cover on, but it's not impossible the Oasis will feel more comfortable naked.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I wonder how many people are going to be forgetting covers on trains and planes
I was thinking the same thing. Since it's currently not available as an accessory, I wonder how Amazon will handle requests from customers who lose their covers?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Nintendo just never released gamepad replacements for their Wii U at retail, just dealing with an occational case through customer care.

I guess an Oasis-like design without cover might be a new low end option next year or replace the Paperwhite. Then we´d get lots of covers without battery too.

Last edited by tovare; 04-17-2016 at 10:19 AM.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #11
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I plan to read without the cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #12
Crhis
Enthusiast
Crhis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 7 Plus
I've never used a cover for an ereader or phone or anything and I'm not planning to start now.

For my previous ereaders I've popped them inside a padded envelope before putting them in my bag when I'm out and about and I expect I'll use the Oasis cover in the same fashion.
Crhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #13
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
The whole reason for me to get the Oasis are the buttons and to be able to hold it in my hand with the shape it has. I read my Voyage without the cover now as I need it as light as possible. But even then because of how its shaped and where the haptic buttons are, my hands cramp up after a while. They just aren't in a place that is natural for my joints, thumb and wrist. I fell out of my hands a few times on the sofa because of how the weight distribution is.

I think the Oasis solves that for me as all the weight is in the palm, so no dripping out of my hands while trying to press the page press. And the buttons are actual button so I know where they are at all times. And the larger bezel prevents me from constantly changing pages, highlighting stuff as I am doing right now with the Voyage.

The ergo design is what got me very interested. If I'd put in in the cover, it would defeat the purpose of getting the device in the first place and be just like the Voyage in the cover, just with better buttons.

What I want to do is what I do right now. I read the Voyage without the cover, but if I am taking a longer break from reading, work, eating, cooking, etc, then I put it in the cover to rest. So the screen is protected in case someone throws a key on the table. I also put it in the cover when I turn in for the night and read a bit more in bed. Then I can just set it on my side stand til next day in cover.

I plan on doing the same with the Oasis, so hopefully it will get some charges in between. It says that it charges one hour battery in 10 minutes, so it should get me through the day with the in between rests and then get the rest of the charge over night in the cover. easier than trying to find the hole for a charging cord in the lower light. So the case is like a pretty docking thing I guess.

I was hoping before we got the details that the was more juice in both the batteries for even much longer not plugging in time. I have to charge my Voyage every 3-4 days now. I read a lot. The weeks reading time never applied to me with any kindles.

I wish it was cheaper and I wish the battery was longer in both, but it is what it is and the ergo design and the buttons outweigh that for me. Overall I should get a bit more life out of the device than I do my Voyage currently. So that is ok. If I only had to plug it in say once a week, I'd be happy. I see the cover as an extension of the Oasis, but not to read with. But for storing and charging. That can mean putting it down while eating dinner, while watching a show. In the cover it charges. Since its so easy to take in and out. Even easier than my Voyage Origami.

To add, if I did take it along on the road, I would have it in the cover of course and read it like that. But I don't have long periods of time where I am running errands say and read. Maybe 10 minutes at the dentist. I wouldn't take a kindle along, just my phone I think. If I had more time say in a hospital waiting room like I had last summer, I'd just sit and take it out of the cover and read and then put it back in the cover. Just like at home. With the difference the cover would be in the purse.

Last edited by Atunah; 04-17-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Loose the case you have to send the Whole thing back to get a replacement.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 04-17-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #15
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I prefer to read without a cover and have always used a protective, padded sleeve to store my ereaders when I'm not reading. I will use the Oasis cover in the same manner — pop out Oasis for reading, pop it back into cover for storage and charging.

I'm hoping Amazon will eventually offer covers as an accessory you can buy separately. I got the black cover because I was too impatient to wait for the merlot but if the merlot were available as an extra accessory, I'd probably buy it, then swap back and forth depending on my mood
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote