Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Gabbertd
Gabbertd began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 750
Calibre Companion for iPad?

Is there a Calibre Companion app for iOS? I am wanting to add my iPad Mini to my list of reading devices. I am not having any success downloading the apk for iPad that I found doing a quick Google search.
Gabbertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The only way you will be able to use it is if it is in the apple app store. I am doing a lot of looking at available apps right now seeing I have an IPad Air 2 coming next week. the calibre Companion is not showing in the app store at all. And anything android will not work on IOS, is what I am finding out.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Tinbeens
Tinbeens began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini 2
Calibre link to iPad Mini2

First chat room, first post, so pls excuse any errors but I am also seeking an app or means which will allow me to transfer the hundreds of books I have stored on Calibre on my Samsung laptop to my shiny new iPad. Any help gratefully received.
Tinbeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I do not know yet but I am hoping that I will be able to connect my IPAD to my computer and transfer my library over usb.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
The best solution I have found is this. It's not Calibre Companion, but it will get your eBooks onto your iPad. You'll need Dropbox on your iPad and the computer that has Calibre. You'll also need the Marvin reader app on your iPad.

In Calibre, click Connect/Share and then Connect to Folder. Choose your Dropbox folder, or create a folder in Dropbox for your books and choose that. Send any or all your Calibre books to the Dropbox folder. Give them a chance to upload to the Dropbox server.

Then, in Marvin, choose Get Books and then Dropbox. All books in your Dropbox can now be imported into Marvin. Marvin is a very good iOS reader app. You can use Calibre to convert your books to ePub or other formats Marvin supports before sending them to Dropbox.

You can't organize your books in Marvin in the same ways you can in Calibre Companion, but you'll find that Marvin is very customizable. It's easy to find settings that are best for your eyes.

You may be able to use iTunes to get books onto your iPad, but I haven't used that method.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Calibre Companion has its own thread on this forum. It is an android only app though

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=264
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I just use a reading application which will connect to calibre and allow downloads from the app, rather than sending from calibre. it works. Marvin, Shubook, eBook Mobi and many others do this. iBooks does not, but you can access your calibre books in dropbox (I store my calibre library in my dropbox folder on my computer) and then open in for any apps you may prefer, which dont connect directly with Calibre.

[edit] For the info of the OP... .apk extensions are always android. .ipa extensions are always iOS. HOWEVER you cannot just randomly download an .ipa file from somewhere on the net and expect it to work on your iOS device, because all iOS apps are tied to your app store ID. For example, if I were to upload something I bought from the store, and you downloaded it... it wont work. Its tied to my ID.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 10-19-2015 at 03:21 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Dropbox is the bet solution I've come up with as well and have Calibre set up to save all the books in Dropbox so that it Syncs across devices. I have, however, found the Marvin does not suit my needs in this area as it limits Dropbox access to 1000 books and the books are not sorted in any logical way that I can see.

I usually open the Dropbox app on my iPad, go to the book in the Calibre folder and then open it in whichever reader app I want via the Share button.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:00 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Everybody has their favorite way of transferring books from Calibre to iThingies. I use Calibre's content server, which can be activated via the Connect/share button. This will start the server and give you a URL that you can use to access the server from any web browser (on your local network). In some reading apps such as Marvin, you can also access it via the OPDS catalog option.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
Gabbertd
Gabbertd began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 750
Calibre Companion for iOS

Thanks for all the great input.
Gabbertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #11
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbeens View Post
First chat room, first post, so pls excuse any errors but I am also seeking an app or means which will allow me to transfer the hundreds of books I have stored on Calibre on my Samsung laptop to my shiny new iPad. Any help gratefully received.
I will suggest that you buy/try the Marvin and/or the Gerty app for IOS.

You can transfer books from Calibre to either of those apps like this: (here I repeat myself from an earlier post)

You can transfer books from Calibre to Marvin like this:

In Marvin use Get books > OPDS > Search local network > Calibre library.

You must previously have started the Calibre Server to do this:

In Calibre Connect/Share > Start Content Server.

It also works in 8.3. It will even transfer metadata from Calibre to Marvin.

The only disadvantage is that you can't see those books that are already in Marvin.

You can also simply copy your books to Dropbox and then fetch them in one the mentioned apps.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #12
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Also in my several posts in the link below:

Transfering book (or many books at once) wirelessly using any free apps with wi-fi capabilities.

or

Transfering over USB using Goodreader app, without iTunes

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262985

Wireless transfer using Safari browser and Calibre content server

or

Using USB memory stick and HDD, with or without jailbreaking

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=14

Last edited by markom; 10-21-2015 at 10:52 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post

You can transfer books from Calibre to Marvin like this:
In Marvin use Get books > OPDS > Search local network > Calibre library.
You must previously have started the Calibre Server to do this:
In Calibre Connect/Share > Start Content Server.
It also works in 8.3. It will even transfer metadata from Calibre to Marvin.

The only disadvantage is that you can't see those books that are already in Marvin.
A Custom Column is an easy way to see which books are already in Marvin and which are not.
- In calibre create a custom column "Marvin".
- For Column Type select "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values". Use the values "Not In Marvin, In Marvin".
- Use "#marvin" as the lookup/search name in the Tag Browser.
- Populate the custom column with the correct values. Use a "bulk" edit of custom metadata for large libraries.
- After opening the OPDS "calibre Library" Marvin and calibre will have the same Tag Browser capability and you can easily sort by "Not In Marvin" or "In Marvin".
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #14
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Batch download from Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbeens View Post
I recommend Bookmaster. I downloaded all my books (more than hundreds ) from Calibre to my iPad literally in several clicks. You can even continue your reading while your hundreds of books being downloaded in the background (note that Marvin and other readers just can't).
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #15
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
You can even continue your reading while your hundreds of books being downloaded in the background (note that Marvin and other readers just can't).
That's not quite true? I know of at least three that allow reading in while downloading in parallel.
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre companion, ios